1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Supposedly NEW GTX 660 scratched/damaged PCB

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Babar78, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Babar78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I recently bought an ASUS GTX 660 DC2TG and just got it in may mail.

I was quite surprised to find that the box was a little damaged but not cared much, but what was surprising is what i found inside.

For instance, i bought asus products before and never got something like that. Either there is a serious problem with the shop that sold me this, or Asus became kinda lazy about the quality of their product.

So, is it normal for the pcb to be like this?

http://i50.tinypic.com/28bxuhg.png pic 1

http://i47.tinypic.com/10r92s5.png pic 2

http://i49.tinypic.com/wjb0ao.png pic 3

http://i48.tinypic.com/2j0o2rp.png pic 4

All the pcb around the DirectCU is like this, scratched, sometimes deeply scratched as if a screw driver was used to make scratches on it, unbelievable. Kinda horrible, and i fear that even if i keep it - if i decide to sell it - i'll be accused of not being careful about my hardware.

I fear that i got a repackaged/refurbished product (i paid for one supposed to be NEW and the asus products are pricey in my country), and if that's the case, i refuse to keep it. I paid for a clean NEW card and I'm not rich. So I want your advice on it.

I have 7 days to send it back if i choose to.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Send those pictures to the place you bought it from and see what their response is.

Personally if the card is running without problem I wouldn't worry about it.
    Being an ASUS card, it should have a 3 year warranty.

Babar78 says thanks.
  3. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Is pretty obvious that it has been tampered with. It's either an open box item or maybe one they had it on a display machine or something that was later taken apart.

I have bought plenty of recerts over the time and not even those look like that.

If the card works fine I wouldn't fret but if you need the peace of mind then ask for a refund.

Babar78 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Babar78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you to have taken the time to help me.

I know asus has a 3 year warranty on their GPU, but what if they accuse me of scratching/damaging the PCB if i ever have to RMA it? That's what i wonder and fear.

If it's like the RMA for memory rams, companies can be quite picky when it comes to warranty. And can refuse to take your product in charge if something seems weird to them, like for example that you were not acreful enough about the product you bought.

Anyway, I'll follow your advice and send pictures to the online shop.

Thanks again for your help.

5. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    NP.
    I suggested sending it, so you have a reference, that states this card came like this and the retailer knows this.

Depending on where you live ASUS can be really dodgy with the QC of their products.
    Where I live it's hassle free, but there has been some nightmare support from what I have read over in the US.

Babar78 says thanks.
  6. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Yes good luck, send those pictures to Asus as well...

Was the box sealed when you got it?

Babar78 says thanks.
  7. Babar78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't tested it because the it's not the problem in my mind.

Even if the card works, it can break tomorrow and I'll be in some deep problems if Asus decides to be dodgy about it.

I lean towards the refund.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your message.

That's the problem, I read that Asus can actually be dodgy where I live. Asus doesn't even offer direct RMA, you actually have to send your product to the shop from whom you bought it, then the shop is supposed to contact Asus. No direct link.

It's the same with MSI, and it can be a real pain because it takes a long time to reach the manufacturer. It can be damaged by the shop between the travel from them to Asus (because the shop will check it). And you always have to fear that your RMA will be rejected with a tiring process to get it back if they don't want to repair it.

That might seem strange to you but where I live the Motherboard/GPU boxes are never sealed. No blister, no seal. The only thing you can check to see if the boxes was opened is to rely on your eyes. And actually, the box i received is in state that it can well be a box that was opened before. The strap that is supposed to keep the box closed was damaged on the side (like every strap after people open it for the first time). The box was scratched too.

What is more surprising is that the black cardbox inside the box is actually scratched. The same as if you used your fingernails to trace line on it. I actually just rechecked and there's even a blow on the cardbox, while there's no blow at this very place on the surface of the outside box. If there's a blow inside on the cardbox there should also be a blow on the first box at this very same place. It's not the case.

But at first i thought "oh well, maybe the strap got damaged during the travel" and "maybe the Asus boxes are like this recently".

But then i looked at the card itself and got more than suspicious.

Anyway, thanks all for your help and kindness. You really all helped me to clarify things and make my mind about my issue.

8. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    if I paid for a new video card, I expect a new condition video card. I'd ask for a refund.

Babar78 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    You've definitely been fobbed off with a used card and that's dishonest and illegal. Go for that refund as soon as possible, then buy that model from somewhere else. I've had stuff like this done to me before and it doesn't feel nice so I can understand where you're coming from.

Which retailer did you get it from and which country are you in if you don't mind saying?

Babar78 says thanks.
  10. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    This look like they play basketball with that peace of hardware.
    And I was in similar situation before few years and because of that I stop with ASUS.
    I never got apology for damaged box and damaged package and two in service confirmed fault cards. Never, on the contrary all time I was feel like I need to say I'm sorry because I complain.
    That is usually for my country, they benchmark their cards like crazy to show like perfect and after that sell like new...
    And nobody can't say nothing against them or famous group attack immediately.
    Best looking hardware than their is prohibited and you can't know even about news like 2GHz record if that is not on ASUS or similar things.
    But instead of that people can know when some kid in some country make something with ROG hardware.
    Whole that situation push me away from them.

Babar78 says thanks.
  11. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you should get a refund and take your business elsewhere.

Babar78 says thanks.
  12. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    asus has gone down the shitter.

there were a lot of complaints around here of them recycling rma'd motherboards after improper repairs.

Babar78 says thanks.
  13. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    You don't say. I've got an Asus mobo and monitor and hope that I don't get problems with them.

14. Babar78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's one of my assumption. The shop that sold it to me might be at fault for the kind dirty/damaged external box, but there's little to no reason for them to sell scratched cards if it's not a refurbished/repackaged card.

I'll know more when I'll get a reply from them. And the card they sold to me is ready to go back to them on monday.

Meaning that if it's not the shop fault, it might be that Asus packaged an RMA'ed card in a box and sent it to a store to sell it as new. Which would not surprise me because some of those scratches were really like screw driver scratches. I mean, a PCB is not easy to scratch. Even more that type of deep scratches. Not something you'd do with a fingernail for example.

For the record it happened to me to hit a motherboard PCB with a screw driver by accident, and it left next to no scratch at all. Nothing that can be compared with that: http://i49.tinypic.com/wjb0ao.png I hardly imagine the force you need to scratches a PCB like that.

Anyway, here I am waiting to see if things will go smoothly from now on.

Thanks again everyone. Despite my kinda horrible day, I'm happy to have found some help and advices here.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    yeah, it was a big scam here. apparently the importer "rashi peripherals" were the same people who were providing the RMA service.

You needed to be really lucky to buy a sealed product. 99.99% of asus products here are un-sealed.

But finally after repeated complaints Asus set up a different organization to handle their RMAs.

I had to RMA my asus mobo 4 times in 2 years. I would have had to continue with more rmas, if i hadnt found some "source" to make sure i got a proper rma'd motherboard.

qubit says thanks.