1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance

Discussion in 'Games' started by theonetruewill, Apr 16, 2008.

1. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    Just got hold of the game today. Installing it currently and hoping to take my PC to the max with this heavily taxing game. The visuals have had a facelift with better levels of shading and texturing while no doubt the CPU required will be around the same - ie. Get yourself a 3.6GHz Quad! Supreme Commander is one of the main reasons I upgrade my PC so I'm looking forward to it alot. Anyone else got it?
  2. nick_1992

Thanks Received:
    I have it but currently not installed but i could install it
  3. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have it...got it for free from a friend...cos hes comp couldn't handle it
  4. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yours will thank goodness :D (Loving your avatar by the way - I like girls in avatars, some people may have noticed...)
  5. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    Install it man!
  6. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    HEHE lol thx mate :rockout:
    :) and yeah..the game runs great..he was a tad jealous lol...hehe
  7. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just played through some campaign missions. One word: Wow. This is a lot better than the previous instalment's efforts. The story is actually quite gripping and the way each map developes feels like you're fighting a real war - unlike the transparent objectives of SupCom. I'm really getting into this game and I am beginning to have thing for Dostya (Cybran Female General - smouldering...). Ah well - it really is a great game - perhaps I'll make a Club for SupCom/Forged alliance fans. This really is a Supreme Game and polishes out many of the flaws of the original. Performance is still low as you would expect from my system but I still think it is emminently playable until I reach about 4000 units in game (then it gets a little hairy). This should be lessened with a decent 8800 gfx card variant and an E8X00 or Q6600 CPU at some reasonably high clockspeeds.
    In the words I shout into my screen every time an Seraphim horde announces it's attack, "BRING IT!"
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  8. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    I love the game! With my current system I can handle it pretty well. Once several thoasand units appear and there is a constant war going on..it can slow down a bit...but launching a nuke on a city can sometimes reduce the stutter of the game!

This compared to the original is alot better!
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    had the game for months.

Make sure you do a few things to kick your FPS up -

*update to the latest directX 9.0c
    Video options
    *Turn the 'render sky' setting off
    *Turn shadows off (if you need more FPS, its a bit of a hit)
    *Vsync off - it REALLY helps in the low FPS areas.

GAME settings (the interface tab)
    *Display world border OFF - THIS ONE REALLY MATTERS. 40FPS gain on some systems, its bugged.

When you speak of '4000 units' i'd like you to consider how many actually are in the game - there is a hard lock of 1000 units per player, and the campaign is lowered more than that. Only in the later levels with several AI teams would you even approach 2000.

If any of you have time when i'm free, i would gladly kick any of your asses - we regularly do 3v1 matches against me at the local LAN's (cause everyone backstabs me :p) and its rare that i lose so i'm out for fresh blood.
    theonetruewill says thanks.
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    oh and as for changes from the original for those considering it, heres a summary

*nukes are instant now. no more walking out of the blast.
    *Assisting certain structures is not as effective - you cant just spam engineers onto one factory, you need several factories
    *Nukes take longer to build
    *Experimentals are cheaper, faster, and weaker - hordes of tech 4 units are quite amusing
    *More lag than ever! (unless you use the tweaks i said above)

*Game FPS is no longer synced with sim speed. One person can now be at 2fps without causing the game to sloooooooow dooooooown.

In the console while gaming type ren_shownetworkstats and it will show the max speed all players can handle - its quite convenient for knowing who's lagging in a multiplayer game. (shows packet loss/network lag, and CPU lag)
    theonetruewill says thanks.
  11. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I say 4000, I mean an 8 player match at about 1/2 way through (1000 unit limit) where I suspect most players easily have 500 or more units as this is the peak of the game. Also I'm British so when I say hairy - I mean bad- we tend understate :p I have played the skirmishes - the AI have got harder methinks- but what I always found boring in the original was the campaign- thus I'm ecstatic that it's exciting this time round.

Thanks for the tips on framerate increases.
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the world borders setting is quite retarded, it looks bad and it really kills your FPS. we seriously had a guy go from 2-3 FPS up into the 40's from using that alone.
  13. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well here's to hoping we can get some proper LAN ownage at my next LANparty!
  14. AsGStorm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man, get onto online play.
  15. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never been able to connect to an online game- something about incompatibility with my router and GPGNet.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    GPGnet is shit, and i cant play online due to... oh yeah, no other aussie players. I get kicked for having a ping over 100, when this game handles 250 fine without visible lag.
  17. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Nice to see others who play supcom :D I don't have forged alliance, (I suck online) :(
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    just keep practicing til you can take down an AIx in the expansion :p sure they cheat and have infinite resources, thats what makes it fun!
  19. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have SupCom and like it a lot. May have to get FA considering the favorable posts on this thread. I don'[t have enough time for all my games. I am trying to find more time for SoaSE at the moment, which I think is an awesome game too.
  20. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I can beat the AI no probs :cool: even ALX which I toy about with but online rts are not my strong point.
  21. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem I have with online competition, is that many people out there are into the numbeers game. They research and study all of the units and tactics so that they can perfect a "perfect" build strategy.

I am a casual gamer who justs like to have fun and relax during the time I have to play games. I am no competition for a hardcore gamer. If my build strategy sucks, so be it, I am havong fun trying new stuff and the number of games I win means nothing to me.

I guess I am just a SP player at heart :)
  22. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I love in SP when the ALX spams nukes although its damn near hard to beat; have to keep your base mobile.
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the way i play is to do the campaign, but add my own rules in - win within an hour, only use ground, only use T2 units, etc.

Its harder, but it makes me versatile enough to win with just about any units in the game - which makes me nasty to fight in MP :)
  24. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Usualy when I play online I get really good opponents but even on games like company of heroes it matched me up with 1 other first timer and I got owned stupid even though I could beat my friend on LAN and it was a hard fight. I suppose I should stick to flying simulators and fps' :laugh: