1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

surge protection?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fero, Aug 24, 2006.

1. fero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which would be better? A voltage stabilizer or a uninterrupt power supply. Or just a plain surge protector?

2. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    They provide "insurance" for different things.

An uninterruptable supply means that in the event of a power failure you automatically switch to a back up supply which will allow you to save any work and close down your system before the battery back up runs out of juice. If you are doing very important work, this is probably a vital bit of kit. If you are just playign Counter Strike, it may be overkill.

A surge protector protects your gear from power surges that could damage your gear. I would say this is something all PCs should be connected to - chances are you need at least 4 power-points anyway so for a few quid more, get something like a Belkin Surge Protector. I have one, and after 3 or so years I noticed the "PROTECTED" light was out, meaning it had taken the brunt of a surge and sacrificed itself (I suspect my cheapo Ikea light). I posted it back to Belkin without a reciept or anything and had a brand new one back within a week.

Voltage Stabiliser? Your PSU should take care of this for you, provided it isnt a real cheapo.

Anyway, you will find that Uninteruptable Power Supplies include Surge Protection so the answer to your question is it depends what your doing and how much you want to spend

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006