1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Surround sound for tv

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by camoxiong, Feb 8, 2012.

1. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    Is there any adapter or converter for surround sound for a crt (the fat tv) tv? I'm builduing a htpc.

2. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    any help?

3. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Well if you are building a htpc, I assume that the standard mobo audio is HD 5.1. So just plug a surround sound speaker driectly to the mobo and you will get surround sound. As for the video, if it is a CRT tv then that means you will have to get a s-video GPU. Then you just plug that s-video from your crt to the GPU. Simple.

4. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    To better assist you what component's do you have exactly? Then we can suggest what you need to get it working together, but from what i understand you have the video portion sorted already right? So just need to figure out the audio part.

Fill out your system spec's @ left by going to user CP that will help as well

5. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have the AMD E series cpu/mobo combo with 4gb ddr3 ram, with a 500gb HDD. Yeah, the video/tuner card.

6. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    I going to use a tv tuner card not a gpu card

7. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    From what i understand you'll be sending video from tuner card to monitor so you'll need to connect the audio from your MOBO or get a sound card and connect it to a set of speaker's or amplifier/speaker's. Depend's what you want to do, you can buy PC specific all in speaker set's that don't need an amp or you can use an amp and connect to regular speaker's.

I still suggest you fill out your system spec's by going into user control panel, need to know the specific's. Model #'s and all :)

8. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    ok, thanks.