1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Surround sound test "thingy" does not work

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kebabs, Oct 17, 2008.

1. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about the thread title... Couldn't think what to put.

Anyway,

Basically I got my self Logitech G51 set, not the best but I don't require much. Anyway when I go into Vista's speaker testing "thing" in the Playback section and select 5.1 Speakers, it fails when it tests. When I say fails at testing, I mean that the Front Left Speaker will work and so will the right one but when it tests the sub, center and the rear speakers no sound comes out of any of them. It tries to send sound but no sound comes out of any of them.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm tired. :ohwell:
    Just ask if you need more info.

Oh also, the speakers do work but they are all playing the exact same thing. I thought with surround sound you could hear you enemies sneaking up behind you?
  2. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    its your sound card.

i had an old 5.1 setup and a creative sound blaster live with 5.1 support and i never got 5.1 out of them even with all the drivers and codecs installed.

more than likely sound card issue.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    do these speakers have a fader switch? set that to middle so all sound goes to each speaker rather than just the front two.

Also make sure your 5.1 settings are hunkey dorey.
  4. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    =/ Is there anything I can try before buying a new one?

Can't find no fader switch on them, also it's my first time at surround sound so I don't really know what settings to set it at. Could you specify please :p
  5. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    try downloading some codec packs. make sure there plugged in right, and the creative software is configured for 5.1
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my creative M5300 5.1 works on windows XP 32-bit w/ Asus supremeFX audio riser which uses soundmax ADI 1988B. im using SRS audio sandbox its a filter to give u a 5.1 and enhance surround sound give it a shot might help :)
    im also using K-lite codec pack all-in-one
  7. Duxx Guest

Make sure your sound card is also configured to 5.1, i know i have a separate program (besides vista/xp) that i have to enable it in or it still wont output correct. Make sure everything set to 5.1.
  8. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:

I can't get that to work with it at all. No sound what so ever out of any speakers =/.
  9. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
  10. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you may have fixed my problems.

I turned off the matrix thing and it works, but whats the point in having it, if it doesn't work?

Also now GRID won't play sound from the rear speakers when matrix is off, but when on it works. Halp :p

Edit:
    Now GRID plays it from the rear speaker when matrix is off, but when turned onto gaming, the sub works with the game and so do the rear speakers but little things like the womans voice don't play at all.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008