1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Surround speakers

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by cookiemonster, Jan 28, 2012.

1. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
  2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Compatible with Bravia TV: Yes then some
    Compatible with Blu-ray player: Yes
    Good buy: I can't say for sure
    Easy to Setup: Yes

cadaveca and cookiemonster say thanks.
  3. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    More than 25k PPD
  4. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    That system doesnt support Dolby True HD and DTS Masters, so it's not 100% bluray optimised for those standards.

5. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi Dent1 are they any good, worth the money or can you suggest one that is 100% bluray optimised got to be sony

6. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    cookiemonster says thanks.
  7. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    If your not on a budget. I highly recommend you get yourself a decent set of floor speakers and an receiver with it.

cookiemonster and Dent1 say thanks.
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    audiophiles no longer drive the market, consumers do and they want what works :(

9. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Are they good? On paper spec wise, it sucks. Yes it will sound OK. You seem a little inexperienced so they'll sound better to you than to me.

Worth the money? For a beginner system yes, but even on the absolute low end you'd be better off buying a seperate receiver and bookshelf speakers.

If you are wanting to playback bluray they miss those crucial HD sound formats e.g. True HD and DTS Masters, that alone makes this system not worth considering.

Also Sony isnt really respected in the low end segment of home theatre. On your budget anything other than Sony will be of better quality 9/10.

No HD format support. :s

10. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    I am afraid i am on a buget and the HT-AS5 5.1ch Satellite Speaker Surround Sound System is the top of my range, I just want something that will improve the stereo speakers in the tv, I have 5.1 speakers on the pc and the sound is far better than the tv.

11. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    the Klipsch HD 300 Compact sound like a much better deal.... those sony speakers look like crap :S

12. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    I have no experiance with speakers and receivers so would the Klipsch HD 300 be compatable with the tv, bluray i also have a sky box and a Western Digital HD media player, would i need a receiver and if so what would you suggest.

13. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    The build quality of the Klipsch looks better than the Sony, but it doesnt have a receiver like you pointed out. Which means you won't even get bog standard Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 (let alone the HD variants). Yes it should be compatible as most bluray Players and TVs have 3.5mm and RCA inputs, but like I said lack of receiver might bring upon another issue of being stuck with with stereo on a 5.1 system. Atleast with the Sony you can upmix to Dolby Prologic IIx 5.1 on sources which are non Dolby 5.1 because of it's receiver.

What is the upper limit of your budget again?

14. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    My speakers are similar Sony ones, they might not look great but they sound pretty good, very crisp. I have them hooked up to my Yamaha Dsp A5, along with a Pioneer 110w sub.

15. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    The sony is £259 so around that, the other factor is I have quite a small lounge it is rectangle
    16ft x 10ft and the tv is in the far corner.

16. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking at your budget, IMO you would be better served with the Canton Movie 125MX system, if you shop around you can get them for the same price (google and you will see plenty of outlets at around £249) and these speakers even got a 5 star review rating from "What HiFi" and that was when they were price £400-£500..... they also appear to support more sound options for you..........

http://www.whathifi.com/review/canton-movie-125-mx

You can get them from here but loads of other places as well:

http://www.exceptional-av.co.uk/product.php?fdProductId=744&gclid=CNvpt-up9a0CFUVTfAodYgruqw

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/canton/movie-125-mx/cant-movie125-mx-blk

cookiemonster and tigger say thanks.
  17. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Yup, they are pretty nice.

18. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    The Canton Movie 125MX system does it need a receiver and is it easy to set up as i don't have a lot of experiance with sound systems, what i liked about the sony is east set up and the wireless speakers at the back.

19. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    The Canton Movie 125MX would need a receiver, so it would bump the cost up. You may well be better off just going with the Sony, it might not be the best but comes with everything you need.

20. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    cheers all thanks for the advice I have decided to go for the easy option hopefully the HT-AS5 5.1ch Satellite Speaker Surround Sound System it can only be an improvement on the tv stereo and hopefully it wont do my nut in trying to set it up, no doubt i will be back for help.
    regards.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  21. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi speakers arrived last Friday just going to start and set them up, I know where to plug hdmi for bluray and sky into but where should i plug the WD media player into or does that just go into the tv as normal.

Attached Files:

22. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    Take the HDMI out from the WD media player and put in the DVD in port. It should do the job.

23. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi thanks I used the DVD socket for the media player and all is plugged in and working even without the rear speakers set up the sound is a lot better,as for the rear speakers i will be setting them up as wireless as the cables option is not usable, how close to the tv do they need to be to pick up the signal.

24. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi sound from front speakers great but can't seem to get any sound from back speakers, I am trying to set them up wirelessly but even using the auto set up there is no sound, help.

25. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    unplug the left or right speaker from the receiver then plug in one of the rear left or right speakers into the receiver to see if the rear speakers are working.

if it works then you missed a setting or the content your watching isn't multi-channel.