1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

surveillance cameras

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sean8, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Sean8

Thanks Received:
    Right now at a friends business he has 5 cameras, but he can only watch them from his office. He wants to be able to watch them from the internet at home/vacation etc. Anyone have experience with some good wireless cameras that he can view while not at work?
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Sean8

Thanks Received:
    is that site safe?
  4. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    I would imagine so being he's doing it with his business. Should show he's already dealt with them and they're reliable enough and left a good enough impression for him to recommend them.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, never really had a major problem with them. Had one camera show up broken, and they RMA'd it without an issue, but it took them about a week to ship me a new one once they recieved the broken one. That is really the only "bad" experience I have had with them, and it wasn't that bad.

I've done about 10 security systems with using them. The thing that attracted me to them was that you can use any PC as the recording device, you don't need to buy propriatary hardware to do it, just a PCI card(or two depending on how many cameras you need) that can go in any PC.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    What software is he using to capture/view the video? There is one software called Active Webcam that has remote viewing, and many other reporting features (FTP, EMAIL, SMS, paging, etc).