1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Swiftech MCW82 GPU Block doubt

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by SirKeldon, Jan 16, 2013.

1. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    [SOLVED] Swiftech MCW82 GPU Block doubt

Hi all,

I finally acquired the MCW82 GPU block and i have a doubt.

Swiftech is not telling which one of the barbs is inlet/outlet, guess both can work the same way ... though that, i tried for more than an hour to find any kind of official information/experience but nothing, "most valuable" thing is i read in some customer review that placing the inlet in the left (long) side is the way to make it not as restrictive as it can be, he says to blow from air both sides to test it and see the difference, i tested it but i wasn't able to appreciate really diffs with the air; only thing is the air was going more cold (but it could be an illusion) if i blew from the long side, but infact there is no official documentation. Thing is for my tube management the best it will be connecting the inlet to the short side.

Anyone with the same block can share its setup? I want less restriction as possible as i'm gonna use an Apogee XT rev2 in the same loop.

Thanks in advance :toast:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    Try blowing in both inlet/outlet and see which one is easier to blow air through it. :D The one that is easier will probably flow better.

SirKeldon says thanks.
  3. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't find out either looking at their Installation Guide...
    But looking at this pic:
    [​IMG]
    I would think that the inlet would be the one on the right in the picture (the one with the "hump" in the back of the block).
    This is just a guess though:)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    SirKeldon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually is what i did under the advice of some customer review that i found on Internet as you can read in the first post, only thing is the "air resistance" seems to be the same for me in any of the holes after installing the fittings that will be on the block. I can not appreciate too much difference, just the fact that if i blow from the short side as the inlet, air at long side (outlet) is hotter than if i blew the opposite way, but in terms of "blow effort" :)laugh:) or air quantity that's outputting from any of the barbs my guess is that's the same. Does this means anything?

Theoretically the only advice that i found is to connect it to the long side as you say, though that, i saw a post on Swiftech forums of some guy asking about its setup and was using the short side as the inlet ... and Stephen (one of Swiftech guys) told him that was no problem with it. Problem is, as i said, that for my tube management it will be more practical to connect the inlet to the short side. Only thing that stephen says which makes me think that you're right is this sentence: The smaller the tubing the higher the pressure drops. ... so maybe connecting it to the long side will cause less pressure drop.

That's why i'm confused, maybe i should try both setups but is a PITA to drain the loop. Still don't know what to do :laugh:

Thanks to both of you :toast:

5. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    FYI- the Swiftech rep (owner?) posts on the forum from time to time (he posted some comments yesterday on the thread announcing the new H220 All in One kit).

Drop him a PM- he would be the one to ask ;)

Gabe Rouchon:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/member.php?u=31792

SirKeldon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. mm67

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know Swiftech universal blocks have no defined in and out ports unlike EK universal blocks

SirKeldon says thanks.
  7. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think he's the president/CEO/owner (in any case he's THE MAN at Swiftech!)

Though that, as he said in a recent post he'll be busy these days due to the CES.

Finally what i did is to post at their forums at "Tech Support" and Stephen from Swiftech replied to me that there's no specific inlet/outlet, you just make it according to your tube disposition.

Temps are amazingly great, CPU temps are maintaining (maybe +1/+2ºC diff) under stress and GPU downgraded 15/18ºC under load :D

You were right too! Thanks!

:toast:

8. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad you got it figured out:toast:
    Nice temps!

SirKeldon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! :toast:

Me too, really, now i can update my system specs as it's installed and leak tested :D