1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Switch ACHI to IDE

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trueblue2122, Mar 19, 2009.

1. trueblue2122 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello All, hope you can help...

I'm purchasing a Acer Emachines e520 which has a SATA harddrive set to ACHI.

The laptop comes with Vista but I want to delete this and install Windows XP Pro. I read on a review website that to do this I have to set the Harddrive from ACHI to IDE before doing this. How would I go about that?

By the way the quote from the website I mentioned is below
    http://devoracles.com/acer-emachines...ock-this-world
    "As always with AHCI enabled hard drives, you have to switch to IDE mode before you can install XP. After you switched to IDE mode, installing any OS is straight forward."

Thanks
  2. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    You have to do it within the BIOS, it should be somewhere under Integrated Peripherals.
  3. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    If that's a real quote from the site.... it gets my mad face of disapproval! :mad:

While changing the drive to IDE mode will work (and is the easiest option), it is not the only option. The other possible options are to load drivers from a floppy or include the drivers on an XP install disc.
  4. trueblue2122 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, thanks guys. Sounds less complicated than I feared.
  5. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    i didnt even see that, lol By default SATA mode is set to IDE in BIOSes, may be Acer is different and they set it to ACHI and load the driver during install, afterall buyers get system with an OS already installed so its of little consequence unless someone wants to reinstall the OS like the OP.
  6. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I have installed some Laptops at work that were installed previously installed with Vista and with XP tend to work 10x slower. I don`t know is it AHCI related or not. I would download AHCI driver for XP and suply it with flopy drive in WinXP installation.
  7. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Some computers don't have that option, and in which case you will need to find out which chipset the board uses and install the AHCI drivers from a floppy using the F6 option during the setup or use a program like Nlite, which I prefer to do and integrate the drivers into the installation disk.
  8. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    If you had that issue either something is really messed up with your install or you are using really bad drivers.
  9. trueblue2122 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, well I've give it a go tomorrow when I get it and get back if there is any issues. I mean I'm not really keen on having a 10x slower system like what r9 had! hopefully that's not a common thing
  10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    It's not... Something else went wrong.
  11. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find it very hard to belive also. In cases of slower laptops XP will actually perform better than Vista as the latter has very steep hardware requirements and especially needs lots of RAM. I tell all my customers not even think of moving to Vista unless the machine has 2GB of RAM at a minimum and the recomended amount is 4GB.