1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sword of the Stars II

Discussion in 'Games' started by razaron, Oct 23, 2011.

1. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    So who's thinking of getting this or pre-ordered already? It looks to be glorious with all the improvements Kerberos has made.

For those of you who don't know what SotS is, it's a 4X strategy game where empire management and moving your fleets around is handled in a turn-based fashion while battles are handled in real-time. Ships are fully customizable and an emphasis is put on the game not turning into an interactive spreadsheet (as is what happens with many 4X games).

Here's a description ripped from Steam,
    About the Game
    Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter is the full stand-alone follow-up to the hit 4X-styled Sword of the Stars franchise. The continuing storyline will reveal the dark secrets of the ancient force responsible for tampering with the races in the original Sword of the Stars. Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter will be a major step forward in 4X gameplay, taking the easy-to-learn-but-hard-to-master philosophy set out in SotS1 and following that path to a new standard in space strategy games.

Key features:
    • Lead one of six playable factions, including a completely new one, as you strive for galactic dominance
    • Unravel highly detailed star systems featuring planetary orbits, moons, asteroid belts, and different space terrain
    • Experience the new graphics engine
    • Choose between entirely new vessels, or build your own with new levels of ship detail, including specific sub-systems, allowing for new fleet strategies and tactics
    • Explore an advanced technology system as the game begins in the Fusion era and moves beyond the Anti-matter era
    • Randomizing options in technology removes the unavoidable “optimal path” making the game more replayable
    • Command your empire by exploring new solar systems, improving diplomatic relations or destroying a race
    • Engage in fierce multiplayer battles with up to 8 players
    Here's some pics,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We should have an MP game when it comes out on Friday. Would be a brilliant way to start it off (what with the politics and all).

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i'm really looking forward to it. any game set in space is automatically given an edge in my book, and a quality, in depth 4x has no competitors. of course i may be busy shooting people in the face in bf3, but i will be getting this and putting some time in regardless :)

3. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    That looks like a good looking game I may have to give it a shot. Any word on a demo?

Also, that second ship looks exactly like the ship (forgot its name) from Mass Effect haha

4. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    The demo will be out in the weeks following release.
    I guess you could try the demo for the first one to get a feel for the game (or buy it for £3.75 on steam).

NinkobEi says thanks.
  5. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Wow, din't even know this was coming out. I love space based RTS and 4X games.
    I guess I'll have to pick this and the Sword of the Stars 1 complete pack up.

6. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I waited a year for this game and bought it and they released this broken tragedy, they better fix this, seriously, steam made me delete it and re-download it and it still doesen't work.

Is anyone else getting these problems, crashing when you click on anything, is it just me.:(:cry:

Edit:After looking around it seems the dev uploaded the beta to steam and then noticed it, and reuploaded another beta after that that was even worst, so now they need to upload the release version(If its finished?).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  7. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    I've not bought it. You could try going into the properties and disabling the steam in-game option. That's what they've had me do w/ a few games of theirs and it fixed some issues. If I were on my main I'd be able to be more detailed. I'll root through some email and see if I can find their suggestions.

edit:

That was for Star Wars the old republic but you can try any of those and see if they help it run.

8. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    Only the first upload was a beta. It's just that the actual release version is severely lacking and buggy. There will be a patch on Monday then every day or two after that for the next few weeks.
    For now you can try running the 64bit version via the games directory in steam.

9. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    Epic necro batman.
    So, after around 1 year, the game is fixed. There'll be an update roughly once a month from now on. Here's the update list for the past year.

10. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the heads up. I bought the game at release and decided to walk away until it was in release shape.
    It's a shame that some companies are selling unfinished games.

11. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
  12. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    It's playable. As far as enjoyable goes, it depends on your tastes. It's quite a complex game, the tech-tree is semi-random and instead of a point-and-click movement system (in the strategic view) it uses a mission system. Some or all of those things might put you off.

13. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    Expansion out in two weeks. It's free for people who already own SotS2.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  14. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    The expansions out. Anyone who already had SotS2 should've been automatically updated to it.
    Here's the expansions manual (explains the new content).

Here's a run down of the new race:
    -Is an AI race.
    -Due to being an energy based economy, their income has no interest and they can't spend into deficit.
    -Can colonize any planet regardless of climate hazard. However, biosphere reduces their "population" growth and capacity, so they have to kill it off.
    -Instead of building ships, they build fleet cubes. These cubes can be shaped and reshaped into whatever ships you want on an as-needed basis.
    -They're completely immune to boarding but they can still board others.
    -They have no access to the Psionics tech tree. Also, they are immune to all non-kinetic psionics.
    -They are (more) vulnerable to EMP-like effects.
    -They have no access to the cybernetics tree.
    -With the right research they can control enemy drones and tracking ordinance.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Depth says thanks.
  15. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    I purchased the game a short while ago but not sure if I will receive the new DLC. Steam shows no DLC and the last update is from 19th November?

This is what it shows up as in the games DLC tab.

[​IMG]
    upload

16. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    It's essentially a big update so it doesn't show up as a DLC. Which is why everyone gets it for free, regardless of when they bought the game.

EDIT: Look at the name of the game. It's changed from, "Sword of the Stars II", to, "Sword of the Stars II: Enhanced Edition".

BlackZero says thanks.
  17. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see, but it was Sword of the Stars II: Enhanced Edition when I purchased it, too. However, I do remember the enhanced part not being there in the past. I also misunderstood your last post to mean that only people who had the game before the update would get the DLC (for free), thanks for clarifying that, too.

Edit:

Steam just posted an update.
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/9485/

18. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Just got the new update, I will fire the game up for the first time in forever and give it a go.

19. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just spent the last 6-7 hours playing this with five AI opponents and I have to say I am very impressed. The game has a constant global chat window connection, I suppose it's there in case people need help as the game's a little daunting at first but once you get the hang of it (it'll take a few hours) it's all very well thought out, and of course no bugs to report.

20. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    I never played the first game, so, How do you compare it to GalCiv II/Endless Space?

21. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    I skipped GC II (It was a little old by the time I got to it) and had a go at endless space a few days ago in fact when steam did the test weekend, really couldn't get into endless space. Probably didn't give it enough of a chance to be honest, so wouldn't want to make a comparison.

That aside, I have been playing space rts games like homeworld and sins etc. for many years but turn based was quite new, however, they seem to have managed it OK as it plays pretty well and the overall aesthetics can look pretty good (be sure to turn focal blur off).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  22. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    The global chat was on by default, now they've made so you can turn it on/off from the options menu.

Supposedly, this games learning curve is a learning cliff for new players. So if you are going to get it, bare that in mind.

23. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Games with a high learning curve are usually the best.