1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Symptoms of an underpowered psu

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jetster, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Just sharing:

My Corsair CX430's fan started to make a racket. After a year of continuous running on my HTPC (specs to the left) So i put in a Enermax 350w PSU I had laying around while ordered and new Seasonic 550. It worked fine I thought. Afterwords I noticed my wireless K400 keyboard was not working as well. It was lagging and I would have to stand up or get closer for it to work. I thought maybe i had damaged the receiver. The new PSU arrived and I installed it. Now the keyboard is working right again. :D Weird it just effected the keyboard

2. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    probably only affected the 5 volt then, as usb is about the only thing that uses any significant power off of that nowadays

3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    So this brings me to my next question. I think I'm getting a New Corsair RM650. I was going to try to run my gaming PC off it. Its also in the specs but basically a 3770 with 7950 Crossfire, 7 fans, H100 2 drives. The 3770 is at 4.4 but the GPUs are not oc. Don't the 7950 use like 160w each? Currently its has a Sesonic M12II 750.

4. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Check wizard's reviews but I think their in the 200+ watt average especially if you plan to overclock them and that 3770 will be in the 140w territory so you should be ok.

5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else was to speculate on weather my gaming system will work with a Corsair RM650 Gold. How much power does a i7 3770K at 4.4 draw?

6. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Worst case scenario according to TPU reviews for a non OC-ed 7950 is 180W. Add to that something like a 150-160W CPU draw and you're at 520Watss maximum.

Soo that PSU should be fine.

However, it might not be enough for when you decide to OC those 7950(almost a waste not to imho:D), and its probably the safest to go 100watts higher.

Edit: Why is it so hard to find decent 4770k overclocking poweruse figures O.O the internet is full of 8350 and 8150 OC poweruse data lol.

7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Im getting the RM650 for testing. Though I would try it in my system to stress it and see what it could do. I dont OC the GPUs thaey get too hot.

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  8. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i think even a RM650w corsair can hold that setup, i run mine, E3-1275v2 3.5 GTX580 Matrix SLI 2x 5400rpm 1x 10000rpm 1 SSD 7 fans Corsair H70 with a mere 700w (80+gold still)

(gosh i hate corsair ... low end : "can have issue" but nobody notify them... they keep buying corsair due to the "brand image" high end : overpriced, for what it is. but thats just me ... :D and the new RM serie looks nice tho ... RM(A) bahahah .... joke)

indeed the RM serie could be good for me and make me change mind 124chf lowest price 142chf average not bad pricing, even if my 700w is 114.70chf and the 800w 125.25chf

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  9. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    generaly crappy and tend to blow easly... you're wrong!

Why do you say the above? I have to totally disagree with those statements.

I own 7 machines and they are all powered by Corsair.
    I have never...I said NEVER, EVER... had a Corsair go bad.

I have used Corsair for many years now, they are NOT generally crappy, as you said.
    I also have friends that use Corsair for years and they all say the same as I do.

They do NOT tend to blow easily, as you said.
    They are NOT overpriced, as you said. Overpriced is many things to different people. You get what you pay for.
    If something seems overpriced to some people, that's one thing. But to the hundreds of thousands of other buyers, millions in some cases, it is not overpriced.
    All depends on your personal financial situation.

They are generally a very good power supply, even the lesser models are decent.
    Are they the absolute best money can buy? Probably not.
    There is always something better.
    But for general computer use including hot-rodding they are very good.

And if you want more info or doubt me, look at all the thousands of good reviews on Newegg and Amazon. Or all the great reviews all over the internet regarding Corsair power supplies.
    That would be a start. That would be an indication that Corsair is and has been doing something right.
    Not to speak of their great warranties for their better classed PS's.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  10. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    who care still lower end corsair psu have bad rep but are shadowed by the other good psu they have (and they have good psu indeed) but good psu from corsair are high end and the price is a tad high (Corsair psu quality depend on OEM manufacturer and can also vary a lot)

i don't like corsair but i still recommend the RM series despite the fact that the pricing isnt at my taste. (indeed that RM had good review and its not to badly priced for a 80+gold)

5 friends with CX serie 5 with either a blown cap or a "we dont know what happened but the psu is fried" 1 friend with a AX1200 : did not start right after unboxing, return from RMA : Psu blown off a cap and the fan plug melted. (and no they werent bypassing the ocp or using too much powerdraw over the wattage of the psu)

i dont say its OVERALL but people tend to shadow negativity with corsair ... wether it be PSU RAM or AIO WC

and i had a pair of Vengeance LP without problem while some other user had "heatsink issues" i run a H70 CWC and some reported H100i leaking or tubing disintegrating :D

CX issue can be put on OEM still on a AX high end 1200w psu those 2 issue we had are not what i call a good behavior for a branded psu

also Never say Never you don't know when it will blow (its valid for all brand but a lil more for some other, i don't mean specifically Corsair.)

don't forget to read the "but that's just me" also ;)

also overprice isn't a status of financial possibility when 2 brand offer the same features for a different price.

Corsair is overall a good brand i reckon that. :D

11. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    That 650W PSU will run that system just fine.

2 7970's with a 4770K @ 4Ghz managed to pull 535W AT THE WALL in our testing.

Jetster says thanks.
  12. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    "The new Corsair RMA series of power supplies - every unit includes a pre-approved RMA case number - guaranteed fastest replacement time - we know your time is valuable, so get a Corsair PSU today!"
    Good joke...or is it real?

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I reports back after its tested. I was fairly confident it would suffice but the issue with my HTPC had be second guessing if it was even worth the trouble. I though for sure the Enermax 350 would sustain that system.

14. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

thanks you made my day :roll:

BTW RM serie seems to be AWESOME, my etailer price it at 155chf the 850w my only option to replace (if i needed to ) my 700w 80+gold was a 80+bronze 850w from Be Quiet, Power Zone at 154chf 1chf more for Gold over Bronze ... I DIG IT nice one Corsair ;)