1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Symptoms of failing PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Champ, May 17, 2014.

1. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    So I've been using my silverstone psu for the past few month gaming and all. Last night my pc start doing weird stuff. I just downloaded some blu ray software and it constantly crashed throughtout the movie. Today I can't get any games to play. I can get into the menus, but soon as the game starts, it hangs up and crashes. I learned from my past to not buy cheap psus, but these isn't the case

2. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I broke down and headed to best buy. Got a cosair cx750m. Honestly, its weaker and lesser efficent than my current unit, but it looks better built. Probably is gonna end up being better

3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    silverstone makes some fine PSUs. I dought it was the problem. Much better PSU then the CX series

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  4. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Process of elimation and its not the psu. The screen has black tears covering the screen and the game usually crashes. I don't need this. Like its overheating

5. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Did you try a fresh install of windows?

6. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Think I figured it. My OC suddenly became unstable. I also cranked everything to high quality in nvidia control panel. Maybe that's it?

7. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    yuuuuuup, that would do it. When my videocard was badly OCed it would randomly crash games, and split my screen down the middle, and reverse the parts. Crazy shit happens when you mess with sliders that you don't understand

8. Lopez0101

Thanks Received:
    That should have been your first thought than the PSU. Or the recently installed software. Screen corruption is very likely to always be GPU related. One way to eliminate GPU is to used the built in, if that works fine, it's the dGPU.