1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Syndicate

Discussion in 'Games' started by FordGT90Concept, Jan 29, 2012.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I was browsing Amazon and saw this EA title coming out in February:
    Amazon
    Wikipedia
    Electronic Arts

It is a reboot of the 1993 Bullfrog (made Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, and Theme Park World) game and it sounds like Mass Effect/Deus Ex/Crysis title with a splash of Borderlands co-op.

Might be something to keep an eye out for.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
    Jack Doph says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I absolutely loved the original, in fact I just re-downloaded it from GoG, but unfortunately it looks like they are going to drop the ball on this one. :(:ohwell::(

They did the same thing with the reboot of X-COM. The original Syndicate was a thoughtful RTS/strategy game, not a glitzy fps. When will they learn?:shadedshu Thankfully, after the shambles the rebooted X-Com was they are making another that promises to be true to form. I hope they do the same with Syndicate after this one tanks.

AsRock says thanks.
  3. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    I think this was discussed in another forum, but I think the reason why they take old RTS/RTT PC games and turn them into shiny new FPSs is to tap into the console market. Consoles don't do strategy games well. So what better way than to dig up old franchises and convert them for a new audience with a new perspective?
    I've read somewhere that there's another X-Com in the works under development by Firaxis (Civ 5) that will be closer in spirit to the originals.

4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    strategy games don't do well...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Jack Doph and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  5. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the reason they do this is because it's safer to invest 20 million into an existing intellectual property than to make a new one.

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yes if only they would learn huh, it be totally awesome if they made one like the original, ooh the good old DX days.

I will not buy it till it's like $12 and the video's make it look really cheezy. And as crazy as it sounds if they did one like the origenal with UBER graphics and good story i'll pay $50 for it.. Shame they think MMO\RPG\FPS is all and be all these days..

MT Alex says thanks.
  7. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Jagged Alliance is due soon. Of course its full 3D and not turnbased. I hope they didnt destroy the rest of the game.

8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:

Never cared for reboots but this game looks better than fear or whatever.

9. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I used to play the original on the Amiga, a lot. I was overjoyed when I saw this, and it does look very good. I hope it follows the same premise as the original.

10. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    These videos remind me more of FEAR 1 than anything else.

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  11. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    man i still remember the old syndicate. first pc game to ever have super vga high res graphics (not 320x200 like everything else!)

tigger and erocker say thanks.
  12. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    As long as they have the persuadatron like in the original Syndicate and Syndicate Wars.

If I cant have an evil army of civilians, police and cyborgs following me, then I'm not interested :p

13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Anyone still got a amiga kicking around and a copy of this, if so give us some screenies of it in action :p

14. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    I need this NOW!!!

I used to love the original and realise this is NOTHING like it. But, ripping upgrade chips out of the skulls of enemies = ok in my books :D

15. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    Or just YouTube it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4jQ2ZFvPVg

Unless you were being sarcastic:p

16. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I think you both missed my first post. The GoG is the original. No need for an Amiga.

17. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    The GOG one is the old PC version, it was much better in terms of presentation compared to the Amiga. They both, however had the same missions, structure etc.

18. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    quick look is up

[yt]2y3-NR6B5z0[/yt]

Syndicate might be the sleeper of 2012.

Jeff recommends a controller because the press and hold actions are hard to do on a keyboard.

19. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I'm playing Syndicate and really not liking it. The mechanics are lousy (sprinting seems to only work when it wants to and aiming with mouse feels wrong), the guns are imbalanced and crappy (e.g. shotgun takes multiple head hits from about 3 yards away for a kill), it is difficult to figure out half the time which way you are supposed to be going, the environments are overly simple and insanely bright, and the game simply feels uninspired. There's nothing here to make me want to play it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Sleeper of 2012? Ya like I'd rather sleep then play it, that video makes it look awful.. Definite pass for me.

21. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I'm finding the gun mechanics are so poor, I find it more efficient just to sprint up to everyone and beat them in the face. There's a few you can't do that on but probably half of all kills I get on every level is from melees. And I am not one to like melee. The game is making me resort to that. :(

Also, it doesn't have 5 button (<3 button) mouse support nor does it have images for all key bindings so when you're supposed to push a key bound to one of those, all you see is a square box.

I think one could conclude it has a moderate-severe case of consolitis.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    This is why it was remade from a classic isometric RTS-style tactical game into an FPS Deus Ex: HR-lite clone.

23. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Such a shame. The original was awesome. Trying hard not to kill civilians when the bad guys came. Then the speech, "minigun" when you changed weapons. Ahhhhh.......

But it is nice that disability awareness makes it through to the gaming industry where the mentally retarded get to play classic pc games on specially adapted pieces of ancient technology (consoles). We should applaud them for allowing those less well off both mentally and physically to enjoy, on some sub par level what we were doing at the dawn of gaming.

24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    The "good guys" killed a whole train full of civilians for no fucking reason and there wasn't a damn thing you could do except watch.

As far as I can tell, there is no consequeces for killing civilians. They don't matter at all really except for soaking up a few stray bullets.

I also noticed there is no music playing often. Don't know if it is a glitch or intentional. Usually in combat, there should be dramatic/warish music playing.

I'm getting really, really close to quiting this game. It is not fun. What use is playing a game that isn't fun? That's what we call "work." :mad: And I'm not one for quiting games either.

Edit: Fuck it. I quit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU