1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Synology DS713+

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by crmaris, Aug 5, 2013.

1. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    ogharaei and 1c3d0g say thanks.
  2. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
    Excellent review. The security option makes it very attractive IMO to set up something like this with an AXIS camera. Together with the Android apps you've got instant remote surveillance of your own home. This is awesome! :cool:
  3. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    now that I finally found the time to implement the multi-client tests my next target, once I have the necessary amount of money in hand, is to buy several IP cameras and test how good are these machines as surveillance centers.

Even foscam cameras that used to be affordable are pretty expensive nowadays :(
  4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    For the TPU group, since this is not a hardware raid device, go out and spend half the money and build one yourself. You can easily install FreeNAS on it and away you go.
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    HUH. I thought the Qnap TS-401 was expensive...

How big is the market for these things, and how well do they sell?
  6. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    It is a growing market and it is not only the hardware that costs. But the support also and the software that these companies build for their machines. And making software isn't that easy or cheap...

As users most of us are used to consider that the value of a system is only depicted on its hardware. Well this is wrong, it is the software that comes along and the after sales support equal costy, too.

Also not all users have the knowledge to build freeNAS servers and deal with their problems. And a freeNAS server won't consume as low as these machines, neither will occupy the same space. On the other hand yes it is much cheaper but in the end it all comes down on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.