1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System for a friend :D

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by AlienIsGOD, Aug 19, 2012.

1. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Your not giving him bad advice, ur just not giving him any fucking advice. He'd be better off going to best buy and having some clueless 17 year old pull shit out of his ass and try to sell him a laptop $500 overpriced and full of shit that doesnt make sense.

But whatever, its ur friend. And fuck it, not like you asked for our help or anything

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    the bigger the hdd or ssd the bigger the loss of data you want to keep. Back ups are a must. Optical disks n other hds/flash drives that are put away help alleviate this problem.

I would just get a Seagate 7200.12 or newer gen hd for the os. My bros machine boots in less than a minute despite being hd based. Heck i had to put in a Uefi/bios boot delay so i could get into it

Hey ShiBDiB you havin a bad day dude?

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  3. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Wow man, i think you need to remove yourself from this thread as your not helping at all. Differences of opinions happen sometimes and resorting to above comments only shows your immaturity. Like really, we disagree on a HDD and you go apeshit basically insulting me.... thats not the ShiBDiB i've come to know on the forums........

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    Go2Sleep says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Its funny atm externals HDD combos are priced better than standalone HDDs at my store >_< But ya i suppose we could get a 1TB and get the SSD down the road.

As for graphics its better to have a 7770/550Ti than onboard Intel for 4 or 5 months. Its not like my friend wants to put every single dime into this rig month after month. Plan is to get the thing running enough to game daily and then he wants to upgrade down the road in places where he sees fit and I dont see that any different than what ppl do on this site :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    My opinion is ; if wants a high end sku(gpu) later this year why don't run the igp until he gets one,
    But would keep the the ssd, i have one now for 6monts and i won't go back to a rig without one, hdd are just to slow
    Also get a nice i5

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It should work, but that's about it. It doesn't give you much headroom for overclocking or adding other components. 550-watt might be a better option, but that is just me.

7. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    No overclocking is planned and he only intends to have 2 Sata drives connected. http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine says 275 w recommended. This is my friend's 1st homebuilt PC so its not inteneded to be a high end gaming rig, just a decent enouh box to play the latest games on REASONABLE settings.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You don't want to get close to maxing out the PSU. I always give myself plenty of headroom ever since a number of friend's computers got fried from over-voltage because it couldn't produce enough current. PSU is one of those things that you never want to skimp on because it is the one that that can kill every part of your computer and provides every part of your computer with power. It's important to make sure that power is stable and reliable. Plus, running PSUs harder makes more heat and heat is a common killer of hardware. I really think that 430 might be pushing it, even if it does work.

9. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    find a psu calculator

11. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    the link i put up 2 post ago was a PSU calculator site :D it said 225w max output and it recommended a 275w PSU

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    get a 550 watter. reason is cuz later he getting faster gc later and a ssd/hdd

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Not just that, but running a PSU closer to max makes more heat which will degrade the device over time. It can also impact voltage regulation on some PSUs. All in all, make sure you have a good amount of overhead just in case. Also keep in mind that as PSUs get used and get older, their ability to produce max output goes down. It is a device susceptible to degrading over time.

14. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
  15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  16. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    550w is more than enough for a mid range rig. 700w might sound good but they aren't needed with all these energy efficient parts we have now to play with :toast: ... but at that price I would also go for the 700watter. I just hope the price is still the same when he buys it :rockout:

The HyperX RAM is 1.65v. Not a huge deal but it'll force your IMC to run at a higher voltage. Just FYI.

Why mATX? You can get a full ATX board for almost the same price: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_722&item_id=047652
    Just saw the MSI ATX. NVM.

Everything else looks fine to me.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    so I have decided on a Sapphire 7770 for $120, a Tt V3 case for $45 and a Tt TR2 600w PSU for $55. Im going to borrow him a 250GB Sata HDD for now so he can afford BF 3 today too :D all in all not a bad 1st rig for someone on a budget :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    As long as he will be able to play with good enough fps in BF3 with his rig regardless of the amount of eye candy, great budget rig.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  19. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    for now he will be using my Acer 19" so a mix of low/med settings @ 1366 × 768 should work well for now.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    You settled for Ivy quad?

21. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    no, I already purchased a Core i3 2120 and B75 mobo last month.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Help im getting power LED lights and the Green standby power light on the Asus motherboard but nothing starts up... can someone help me?

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Take ESD/Static Discharge Precautions for handling all Circuit boards/Integrated circuits.

bench run the board, take everything out of the case put on non conductive bench or table or even a box off the floor.

read motherboard manual

reset the CMOS/BIOS/UEFI by reading motherboard manual

clear all components of dust via can air or air compressor (take caution of condensation)

re-assure the CPU is inserted in the socket properly- re-apply thermal compound to CPU, if need be remove CPU and air clean the Socket and CPU itself.

remove and air clean ram and ram sockets- reinsert ram

remove and air clean GPU and all PCI E/PCI/AGP sockets- reinsert video card

Air clean the ATX and 4 Pin P4 or EPS 8Pin power connectors on the motherboard, do same on power supply.

hook up psu to Motherboard, power switch, and video card, keyboard and mouse and just see if the system will powerup then with video too.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  24. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Start off bare bones just so you can get to the BIOS screen.
    So no hdd or optical, no motherboard fan headers used, one stick of ram, unplug reset, rest LED and HDD LED, then try firing it up.
    If it still does not work, switch to another ram slot.
    But you probably have already read the instructions which state which slot one stick of ram is supposed to go into, so on to trying another stick of ram in the same slot.

Of course double check to see if 8/4 pin and 24 pin power connectors are firmly attached.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  25. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Tried everything and couldn't get it to post, so we took it to the service centre @ Canada Computers. I think the PSU may be faulty, in any case its being serviced under warranty so any parts that need replacing are going to be done when working on the PC. I wrangled that deal as the other parts were bought on Aug 31st and therefore still under 30 day in store warranty :D

Crunching for Team TPU