1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System freezing shortly after startup.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Tommygunn, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Tommygunn

Thanks Received:
    Recently I have been encountering a problem where; after turning my computer on, allowing programs to load and beginning use of my computer e.g. internet windows(Firefox mostly), the screen essentially freezes.
    All icons, windows, keyboard keys etc become inactive except for the mouse which still is able to move the cursor but it has no function. When I move the cursor over the taskbar I get the double ended arrow cursor.
    It's not a major deal and doesn't happen all the time but is annoying because I have to do a 're-set' and in the process lose any pages I have open.
    Any ideas on this?

I'm using an ASUS P5W DH deluxe m/board, Windows XP, Firefox, Windows Explorer.

2. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    It sounds as if something in startup is loading and is causing the problem. To try and identify the problem, use MSCONFIG.EXE and disable some of the things in startup, then sequentially go through and enable each and reboot each time, until you come across the suspect software/process.

3. Tommygunn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for that. Will give it a go.