1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System not posting to bios

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Finski, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Finski New Member

Thanks Received:
    Strange thing happend to my friends pc. As the title says system doesent post even to bios could it be that the both of the cpu:s are dead? Origial pc = asus a8v-e deluxe, athlon 64 3700+ geforce 8800 gts 640, 2x 1g Twinmos pc3200 cd2.5, antec 550 he. Tryed with different gpu x800xl, with different memory combinations and different mobo a8v-vm, different power and eaven with different cpu (64 3500+). Running out of ideas of what to try next. shouldnt the pc post to bios eaven without hd? Onely thing that i can think of is that both of those cpu:s are dead.:confused:

2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Select one set of parts (cpu + memory) then install and RESET CMOS Using jumper or button, see mobo manual for instructions for reseting on your mobo. Then attempt reboot.
    Whenever CPU or memory is swapped the cmos needs to be reset.

:toast:

Finski says thanks.
  3. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I assume you did a clear CMOS for 20minutes or so (remove battery/move jumpers)? Re-check all the power connectors (one may have come loose). Since you've tried with different PSU's and different Mobo, it may very well be the CPU's. Do you get any beeps when you power on?

4. Finski New Member

Thanks Received:
    We will try that, hope it works.:)

5. Finski New Member

Thanks Received:
    No beeps or nothing. Monitor doesent come to life at all. Maby i´l need to take the battery out for longer period.

6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    since you dont see anything on the monitor try another monitor before you go swapping cpus

the monitor may have died

7. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    A few minutes is not long enough (which I discovered on my board). I say at least 20 min. Also, you should get some kind of beep even if you have no RAM or Video card connected to the Mobo when you power up.

8. Finski New Member

Thanks Received:
    Forgot to mention, already tryed with different monitor. nothing...Well at this poit it seems my friend will have to upgade sooner than he was hoping.

9. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The "Battery" trick does not always work to properly reset the CMOS. Some motherboards need the battery power in order to reset. FOLLOW YOUR MOBO MANUAL INSTRUCTIONs...is always the best way. If you got to, download the manual.

:toast:

10. Finski New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes there is a beep if we take all the memorys off.

11. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried with different RAM? Also, try with one memory stick at a time installed. May have bad memory, or it could be a particular memory slot thats causing problems.

12. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    use the troubleshooting guide in my sig and that will tell you where the problem should be located, then you can find the best solution

Finski says thanks.
  13. Finski New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes tryed with different ram and with one stick no go. Starting to beleave its the cpu:s but will try to follow keakar:s troubleshooting thread hopefully i´l find whats wrong with the system.