1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System not powering...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PennySavre, Apr 12, 2009.

1. PennySavre New Member

Thanks Received:
    System not powering... (Foxconn 790FX + Phenom II)

I assembled my computer and turned it on and nothing happened - no fans spinning, no lights, no beeps, nothing happens. My power supply worked when I ran it with my last system. The motherboard to the said problemed system is the Foxconn 790FX and the processor is the Phenom II. I have plugged in both the main power supply connector and the CPU power connector (8-pin)... The board is not touching any metal that I know of, unless you count the built-in case risers which holds the board.

DOA board? Any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. PennySavre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Done.

4. The_Real_DeaL31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    have u tried your psu on a another computer, also u sure u have front panel wires all hooked up correctly to motherboard?

5. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    any bent pins? connected everything? in the front I/O panel connected properly?

6. PennySavre New Member

Thanks Received:
    No bent pins that I know of (if we're talking about processor), power supply worked when I had a different motherboard/processor before, everything connected that I know of...

7. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you have spare components to test those hardware? try and find out if the CPU/Mobo is working...

8. PennySavre New Member

Thanks Received:
    No spare parts to try...

9. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then RMA the board, unless you have a bud who can lend you his board for testing...

10. Kweku

Kweku

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't the motherboard have a on button on it? Try that maybe, and also check that the cpu is correctly placed... Facing the right direct etc. I think it might just be the front panel wiring that you got wrong

11. PennySavre New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm worried the problem is just some quirk of my board since I'm not completely sure on a couple of things... the instructions don't help much for me. For example it's not clear for me how the jumpers are suppose to be, and even though I think I put the front connectors in right, I question whether the instructions were right because they were confusing...

I tried the onboard motherboard button and it didn't work either.

12. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Hi

First recheck your mobo manual if you havent missed anything.

Disconnect everything that isnt needed for proper POST test to start.
    You could just leave your board in with PSU and it should beep out that it doesnt have CPU/mem/gfx but you can start with CPU inside.

If your fans arent even starting that means the board fails to power up.
    Make sure PSU is compatibile standard with the board ( PSU has additional 12+ rails connected etc...) also pay attention to what you connect and where. To sum it up read the mobo manual carefully.

Last thing to try if you are 100% sure your not a complete PC noob not to missconnect something is to reset your BIOS.

My Asus board wouldnt also boot without the bios reset - seems like they did a reflash right before they put it into the box.
    Otherwise you need another PSU to be 100% sure its the board and like guys posted before RMA...

PennySavre says thanks.
  13. PennySavre New Member

Thanks Received:
    In addition to the main power connector and the CPU power connector, there is an aux 4-pin one on the board... the manual says nothing of needing it, do you think I would need this plugged in to power it?

14. Kweku

Kweku

Thanks Received:
    Highly doubt. Try google the front panel connections

15. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you can, try getting a power supply from a friend or a local pc shop. If your pc has no power... the first thing to check would be the "power" supply

16. PennySavre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even though all I did was switch from a Core 2 Duo system to this and it worked with the Core 2 Duo system?

17. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Depends on a board post a screen or an URL to the layout and we will answer
    If its additional 12+ connectors it might not turn on without it. Taiwan manuals arent what they are supposed to be. (That all depends if the PSU is ATX 2.0 and the board also.)
    Also note Im not 100% familiar with new boards systems but Im sure the companies dont really care about any older standard they put on the board so manual might not mention some incombatibility with your PSU.

Also note that if your case is new ( i dunno if it is) Try shortening the PWR pins onboard with a screwdriver or something made of metal to be 100000% sure its not a faulty PWM Button.

18. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I miss read your post. I would then check the connections for the case. You can also jump the power pins on the mother board to see if it powers on... But it could also be the MB

19. PennySavre New Member

Thanks Received:
  20. The_Real_DeaL31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    can u snap us a picture of your system, we need to see if your jumpers are set right to front panel, btw were hear to help, but we need more info

21. The_Real_DeaL31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i took a look at your mobo's manual, the board looks strait forward to understand, just make sure when connecting jumpers, solid wire goes to + sign

22. PennySavre New Member

Thanks Received:
    At this point I think I may have to start over and isolate running components. I figure the problem is either something silly or I got a dead board...

23. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is the little pwr LED on? My DFI board wouldn't turn on all of a sudden a few weeks ago (its still in the hands of DFI for repair)... but the pwr LED would turn on.

I currently know all my other parts were working as they are being used in my backup GA-690G board. (see specs)

24. PennySavre New Member

Thanks Received:
    When the system is started, or do you mean the thing which plugs into the front connector?

25. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    There should be an LED on the board that lights up when power is being supplied to the board when its off...