1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System restarts on its own

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Grasshopper, May 13, 2008.

1. Grasshopper New Member

Thanks Received:
    It all began when I changed my CPU cooling. The system runs fine when I play games, pass 3DMark Vantage with no problem, but when I try to play MP4 files with Media Player Classic it restarts after few minutes. Few times it restarts while idle. I reinstall the Vista but it did not help. The CPU is not overheating (actually is 10 degrees cooler now). Any suggestions?

2. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    check if you got a bios virus they are in your actual mobo (from a pc repair guy) , i had one once and i did every thing including formating a reinstaling xp but i ended up buying a new mobo+cpu

Grasshopper says thanks.
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    is this Xig cooler clearing everything on the mobo OK?

I had to cut 3 fins off the one side of the bottom of mine due to its contact with the NB cooler.

Grasshopper says thanks.
  4. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    random resets are a common sign of hardware instability.. most likely the cpu.. i aint gonna guess why thow.. he he

trog

Grasshopper says thanks.
  5. mon74

Thanks Received:
    Turn of "automatically restart", its under system properties > startup & recovery > system failure, if it's a software error you can see the code. Hope it helps ;)

6. Grasshopper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is something interesting: when I pluged the cooler directly to the PSU the problem disappear. It looks like my MB have some issue with this cooler. For now I'll run it pluged directly ot the PSU and with some fan controler. Thanks anyway.

7. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like motherboard or psu is failing. Or your memory sticks is old. Well if you changed the cooler then it sounds like you mounted the heatsink/wrong. A little off the screws may lead the motherboard not detecting the cooler is in place and forcing it to shutdown or restart. Try centering the cooler (Or are you using push-pins???) and tighten the screws.

8. mon74

Thanks Received:
    The power draw from the fan is very little, maybe your MB is bad? Check the capacitors around the cpu, the should not look leaking or bloated...