1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System startup time

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rado D, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone!I hope you will be able to give me some advice,as my issue is very annoying.
    First,let my clarify,that my system is 100% healthy,everything is runnig like magic,Im constantly monitoring system health,to be able to run at optimal performance.My HDD health status is also excellent.
    But lets get back to my question.
    I have a strange issue happening uppon starting up my computer.(this is only happening when turning the PC on,not when restarting).
    It takes ridiculously long from post screen to the point,when you see the sign windows starting with the 4 colour balls coming from the backround.to be precise I see the black screen with the Windows is starting up sign,but it takes just above 2 minutes until the 4 colour balls start rolling out.during this time I can see that the HDD led on my case is hanging lit constantly and it is released exactly when the 4 colour balls are rolling out and I can hear the HDD processing.after this everything is lightening fast(just check my specs)..What Im concerned about is,what the heck is going on during that 2 minutes,when my HDD hangs??how can I eliminate this time?

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    if you havent already, check the boot order of your HDDs, if your OS drive isn't first, your system might be going through each other drive before getting to your OS drive, and since I saw you have an external, that could add a bit more time due to the slower read and access times, only down side to that is you will need to have your win 7 dvd handy to fix the bootmgr since switching boot orders makes that not work right in win 7 (or at least has always done that for me)

Rado D says thanks.
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Did this issue just all of a sudden start happening, or has then been a progessively getting worse problem?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Any USB item's plugged in, check those 1 by 1.

I had an issue with my iPod during POST, it would just hang the system for 2-3 min. Soon as I unplugged it, system would start up.

As BarbaricSoul stated + 1

Rado D says thanks.
  5. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Actually I just went though something like that. Somehow my external(with no OS on it) got switched as my primary drive and my computer was trying to boot with that, in which case I would get a "no OS error". I set my SSD as my boot drive in bios, and everything has been working fine since then(no reformat/reinstall needed).

Rado D says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Its happening always and from beggining,it was even happening before I've upgraded my system to better CPU and MOBO..but I refuse to think that it could be my WD Velociraptor,as it really is an excellent drive with superb speeds and cooling.

Thats not a bad idea..but I only have connected via USB the printer,which is turned off anyway and then is my Deathadder mouse,G15 keyboard and my Creative webcam.thats it.but will try what you've suggested.

I never had external hdd connected unless I use it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  7. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    In your bios enable ahci(make sure you have the driver installed in windows 1st), enable quick boot, set OS hdd to boot 1st with no other devices, turn off usb storage, disable all unused devices in bios (ide, sound, serial port, floppy etc) that you don't use and see how you get on. With these settings my PC boots to a useable desktop in about 20secs

See if any of that helps.

Rado D says thanks.
  8. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    have you checked your hard drive boot priority like already suggested?

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
  10. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    go into your bios and look for a catagory named something like hard drive boot priority and set your raptor drive as the primary drive

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    aaah,you mean that?I've been doing that for 12 years :D

12. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I'm at a lost then. My next line of thought was maybe you have the raptor drive hooked up to one of the slower SATA ports, but your boards slower ports are as fast as my boards faster sata ports, and I'm fully booted into windows from start up in less than a minute, even without the SSD.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    yeah,something is definitely not right..but what??

EDIT: Oh and the Boot racer utility shows my total boot time as 41 seconds..

14. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    hey, I know how to fix this for you. Trade me computers. You'll have the boot time you want then. :D

I know I know, no chance, but worth a try. :ohwell:

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    have you done a reformat since this problem started?

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Haha good try but you are right,no chance :)

As I said,once Im in windows my computer is super fast,super stable and super healthy:toast:

thats why Im handling this issue just out of curiosity.ofcourse,I'd be happy if I could solve it.

sure I did.

17. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    ????

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    well at this point, if it was my computer, I'd go into the bios and start trying to adjust any setting having to do with your boot priority and SATA port speeds. Only thing I can think of is you have something set wrong in the bios.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Those could still cause an issue, check em' see what happens. Just disconnect 1 at a time.

You said you had this issue from your last build as well? What was changed from build 1 to build 2, and what carried over? Maybe look at some items that were carried over that could be faulty, cables, peripherals, anything.

20. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Run a SMART check on the vraptor. Something is amiss somewhere, I would also try installing Windows on your WD 500gb drive and see if it is the same on that.

21. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    since I didnt have the same mouse and keyboard with the previous build(I changed the cpu and MOBO)and it was happening I assume none of them are causing it..also as I've mentioned before,could be my primary HD,but honestly there is nothing wrong with it..I exclude the cables,cos I've used new ones from the Rampage bundle.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  22. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I may be stateing something stupidly obv but have you left a scratched or poor reading cd dvd in your drive because i had same issue just lately twice ,once was a usb stick even tho not in any way boot enabled then the other day my crisis disc left in was causing long boots again not in any way due to boot oreder i allways had have 1st disk ssd boot

also a bad sata dvd drive could cause it try unplugging it totally

More than 25k PPD
  23. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    OK,so what can you read from this guys?

Attached Files:

24. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    That Reallocated Sector Count is high man...

25. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    So how comes that the utility indicates it as OK.?

anyways,have to go to workn now,thanks for all your input so far guys,I'll try most of the things you've suggested when Im back from work.