1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System will not Post

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HolyCow02, Jun 8, 2008.

1. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all. I have an lovely system problem and I figured this would be the right forum to post it in ( if it is not please let me know where I should post it).

My problem is that my system will not post. I have a d-bracket in the back of the computer and the lights show that the last checkpoint the system gets to before it stops and idles is Testing the VGA Bios.

Now my system is an AMD AM2 Operaton 1212 (2.0 GHz) at 2.7 GHz, 4 GB of OCZ DDR2 800 RAM, an MSI K9A Platinum (Xpress 3200 NB SB600), an ATI X1950 Pro, and a couple of seagate hdd's.

Now when this first happened I basically stripped the system of all of the components the system doesn't need to post. So all that was left was 1 GB of Ram, the CPU, and the video card. Now the system still did not post ( so that rules out memory and any HDD problems because I also switched the stick of memory that was in for another and still nothing). Now I check my video card in my fathers system, and it posted just fine and he got it to the bios.

Now other than the CPU and motherboard, is there any other reason it would not post. And is there a way for me to tell which component died, of the motherboard and cpu, without me having to take out the CPU and test another one in it?

Thanks for all your help.
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Well, i highly doubt your cpu is fried. Have you removed the cpu recently for any reason? Also, one other item to look at is power supply, Which one are you running? motherboard does sound pretty much bad. Did you recently flash the bios?
  3. rampage

Thanks Received:
    you are on the right track for trying to sort out the problem

but have you

1> rest the bios to run the pc at stock setting
    2> check the power switch and the connectores on the motherboard, or even tryed starting te pc by short circit (i will let another member explain this process in more detail as i dont want to give you faulse directions)
    3> have your tryed another power suply to boot your system as the psu may have died, if you have a multi meter you could aslo try testing the voltage being outputed by the power suply
    4> test all the hardware in a seperate working pc (not just the video card but, each ram stick and even the cpu if possible
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reset CMOS.

Whats the PSU make/model?
  5. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the psu and an antec truepower 2.0 with 550w. Its only about 2 years old.
    I have reset the CMOS and the system still will not post ( that takes care of putting it back to stock settings as well).

Testing all of the other hardware that is not even plugged in right now doesn't matter since it wont post with them in or out. Also, in concerns with the psu, everything turns on, the system just will not post. So im doubting the psu being a problem.

Im leaning towards the mb since opterons can take the overclocking and I have a nice heatsink ( Thermaltake Venus) so i have that running usually pretty high as I can control the fan speed.
  6. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check the 24-pin and 4 or 8 pin pins are connected to the motherboard from the PSU properly. Re-seat the RAM also. Check if the GPU is seated properly too.
  7. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    as mentioned before check your psu on another pc, if possible, and check the mem sticks one after the other...

btw were you OCing your mem before all hell broke loose?

as an alternative you can set up the system outside the case, to rule out the case of a power short of the mobo on the case...

good luck!
  8. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the help. I just sent in an RMA request to MSI since the mb is the only problem making sense. I am also still inside the 3 year warranty so hopefully they will just ship me a new on.

Thanks again for the help!:toast:
  9. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    no problem... any time!
    just hope that is the last problem you have with this system...:toast: