1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System won't stay on

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Creatre, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,

Putting together my system today. I'm 99% sure I have everything that needs to be connected connected. When I power on the system, the fans all get to max RPM then the computer shuts down. First, can i get a list of all the required things in the mother board that need to be connected. I have a huge plug called FDD that has nothing in it. Also, I only have CPU1 connected and not CPU2. First time building it myself so any help appreciated. :toast:
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    FDD is Floppy Disc Drive. Positively ancient. It's just like an IDE connector for a DVD burner.

Is it overclocked? If not, sounds like a mobo issue to me. ;/ is something shorting? Did you use mobo spacers?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    I haven't even gotten to a screen yet. Just trying to boot her up for the first time. But can't get an image because after about 5 seconds after powering it up it shuts back off. I just screwed the motherboard into the preattached mounts in the case I have. Is the motherboard bad you think?
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Uh-oh... j00 need to use the spacers!
    I forget if this means you need a new mobo or if placing the spacers in will fix the issue.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. sorehammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a similar problem recently turned out the wires for power on, reset and the such were connecting wrong give that a try mine would only come on fans spin up full speed then shut down.
  6. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    I placed them on the gold spacers that came in the case, and just went back through and put a red spacer on it as well. Still having the same problem. All the reset/power/hd light connections are in the right spot. Any other ideas?
  7. sorehammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    The cpu seated correctly
  8. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    Should be, It all lined up correctly. The mount pushed it in and I have the AC pro cooler on top of it.
  9. lowflyer

lowflyer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you try sorehammers idea, your mobo manual will tell you what way the switches go. Also make sure you only use the spacers that line up for a screw. @ hat he should be fine the PSU will cut power before any damage will get done if the spacers are wrong.
  10. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    I think the motherboard is fried or faulty. Just took out all of the RAM and I got no beeps. Could it still be something shorting it and the PSU cutting power or is the motherboard not functioning right?
  11. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    Everything is seated correctly. Any other ideas or what I should do?
  12. sorehammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    What mobo you got ?
  13. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the rig in your info, right?
    I was gonna say, Ben Clarke got same sorta problems with his P5K board..which is a shame...
    multiple RMAs and still nothing
    so I'd double check, then file an RMA to be safe, try another board.
  14. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    paper washers came in the package are those used to be placed between the motherboard and the case? Does it go between the brass spacers and the motherboard. I took everything off and hooked up the power the the motherboard and turned it on and it still wont give a beep. Any ideas?
  15. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    Just RMA'd to Clubit.com. I'll update thread after I get the new board in to say whether that was what was up or not for future people with the same problems. Hopefully it won't take too long!
  16. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    It could be the memory Doesnt have to be faulty just might not like that make of ram.
    Has the mobo got a small speaker to give off a bleep? some use a external case speaker?
  17. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    my mobo do not beep...emm i had a similar problem with my build..it turned out to be a faulty gpu, have you tried another gpu
  18. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    I read in a blog somewhere in the vast world of the internet that some dude with another gigabyte motherboard had a similar problem. Just his worked for 3 days, then had this problem. He sent it in and got a new one and the problem was gone. I figure I'll first try the motherboard since it is the most likely thing to not be working correctly. If I get a new one in and somethings still wrong, I'll start going into detail to try to specifically figure out which products are working and which are creating the desktop to not fully power up.
  19. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    that is the gigabyte smart fan control testing your cpu fan for safety. your computer isnt actually starting when you first turn it on but it ramps the 4 pin cpu fan up to full speed for a second or two then shuts it down for a second and if it detects everything is working ok then it should start up a few seconds after that with the cpu fan running slower and the computer will boot normally. this is a normal thing it does everytime it starts up, you can disable this feature in the bios but it will cause the cpu fan to run continuosly on high speed all the time. if your computer doesnt restart after it runs the test start, then your motherboard is bad and needs to be RMA for a new one.
  20. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    I think you'll find the mobo is faulty my brothers just been here with his pc doing the same thing.
    Its been working ok for over a year.All of a sudden its firing up then turning its self off after about 10 seconds with no bleeps also with memory removed.
    We tried and tested everything else as i have a number of pc's here and its all fine.
    And the cpu1 fan socket even stopped working also during testing worked fine on fan slot2 the mobo had malfunctioned without a doubt.
  21. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I had read about that, so I let it run through the cycles about 10 times to make sure it wasn't just misfiring the first couple times and it would eventually fire up. But it never did, so I made the conclusion about the motherboard being faulty.

And to nitromax, it sounds like he's having a similar problem to what I had read in a blog somewhere. Must just be something in some motherboards where it will stop booting all the way up. /shrug, rather have mine go out right now then in a year. Hopefully the next one I get won't be one that goes out in a year. :twitch:

edit: For reference I found this other thread, seems he had similar problems as well with his gigabyte board. I wonder if they had bad caps or something and a whole bunch of motherboards are bad. Anyways, I'm crossing my fingers my next one will be good to go. I'm ready to get this bad boy fired up!!! http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=49338&highlight=Gigabyte DS3L Problems
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008