1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TDK Announces the GBDriver RS4 Series SSD Controller

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Cristian_25H

Cristian_25H News Poster

Thanks Received:
    TDK Corporation has developed the GBDriver RS4 series of NAND type flash memory controllers with support for 3 Gbps serial ATA. Sales will begin in January 2013.

With an effective access speed of 180 MB/sec, the GBDriver RS4 is an advanced high-speed SATA controller chip. It is fully compatible not only with the latest 1xnm generation and 2x nm generation 16 kB/page SLC (single level cell) and MLC (multi level cell) NAND type flash memory, but also with 8 kB/page and 4 kB/page structures. This allows the customer to select the optimal flash memory for the respective application, providing the flexibility to configure high-speed SATA storage with a capacity ranging from 512 MB to 1 TB.

[​IMG]

Along with high-speed control, a read retry function has been added which is essential for ensuring data reliability when using the latest MLC type NAND flash memory. Together with the auto-recovery, data randomizer, and auto-refresh functions of the existing GBDriver series, this design accommodates also future developments in the flash memory format. Data reliability is significantly enhanced by the highly acclaimed GBDriver power interruption tolerance algorithm. For customers requiring an even higher level of data reliability, the Enhanced ECC function makes it possible to expand ECC to 71 bits per 512 byte block.

The sophisticated static wear leveling algorithm averages the write and erase process over all blocks of the memory area, thereby drastically improving the lifespan of installed flash memory. SMART (Self-Monitoring & Analysis Reporting Technology) provides information about the number of times that memory blocks have been erased (programmed), which facilitates quantitative lifespan management of flash storage.

Data security has also been enhanced. In addition to ATA standard security functions, AES 128-bit encryption is also available. This makes it possible to store data in the NAND type flash memory in encrypted form, to guard against the risk of data leaks and tampering. TDK will start releasing a number of NAND modules (SSDs and other products) incorporating the new GBDriver RS4 from April 2013.

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I might be missing something here but 180 MB/sec seems awfully slow?

3. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I remember when TDK made cassette tapes.

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  4. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Slow could mean budget. I know a lot of people who would not mind slower read and and right but would want .1 random access times.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Thats when they were good. Hopefully they do make it back to the market on a larger scale.

6. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    it could be 180mb/s per channel or per node or w.e

example look at the Crucial M4 the larger the capacity the faster the Write speeds etc could be something to that effect.

7. Polen New Member

Thanks Received:
    '' latest 10nm-class generation and 20nm generation 16kB/page SLC (single level cell) and MLC (multi-level cell) NAND type flash memory, but also with 8kB/page and 4kB/page structures.
    ... the Enhanced ECC function makes it possible to expand ECC to 71 bits per 512 byte block. ''

Hello.
    May I ask the exact meaning of these ?
    Or can someone give me a document about SSD's working memethodology ?

Thank you.

8. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    LOL i used to buy packs of TDK back in the day and record the radio mixes at night when i was a kid. I wanted to be a hip hop DJ so bad back then.