1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Team Fortress 2: Free Week of TF2 + Uber Update!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jstn7477, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Hello all,

I just wanted to share some news that came out today for one of my most favorite games: Team Fortress 2! The whole blog site got an overhaul tonight, and they are finally releasing Meet the Medic this week (People familiar with TF2 will understand why this is special). It looks like some new weapon sets are coming out, starting with the Heavy Weapons Guy and the Spy for the first day, as well as a new Payload map. :cool:

But more importantly, TF2 is free this entire week for those who have wanted to try/play it but have not purchased it. I would at least give it a try, because I bought the Orange Box in February 2008 and have been hooked on TF2 ever since. If you played it on a console or way back when it was released and haven't since, you have no idea what you're missing after nearly 200 FREE product updates. Anyway, if it wasn't good, I wouldn't co-own a gaming community dedicated to it (TrashedGamers.org), but I'm not here to toot my own horn and shove my advertising down your throats. :pimp:

Anyway, I hope y'all give it a try if you haven't already (and your thoughts), and I'd like to hear from some seasoned TF2 players as well if there are a few on TPU. To play this game fluently, you do need a beefy CPU (e.g. 30+ GFLOPS like a 2.8GHz Phenom X4) but it will easily run on bargain basement video cards at moderate settings. :)

Hope I didn't bore everyone with my relentless yapping. :(

Official TF2 Blog: http://www.teamfortress.com/

UPDATE (6/24/11):

Meet the Medic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lSzUMBJnc

TF2 is now Free to Play for everyone. People who paid previously are "Premium" accounts, and you have to buy something in the Mann Co. Store to make a F2P account a Premium one, since the game is now solely supported by microtransactions.

TF2 Accounts FAQ: http://teamfortress.com/freetoplay/faq.php
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Where is meet the Pyro! DAMN THEM!
    Jstn7477 says thanks.
  3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I know, right? We're all dying to know what "it" really is.

At least I got the awesome Pyromancer's Mask from a random drop yesterday. Painted it "A color similar to slate" with the original paint scheme and I love it. :rockout:
  4. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    I'm interested to see whats in the uber update
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I just got it. Its Free all week! never played this game before but heard its fun
  6. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    It's the epitome of EPICNESS this game.
  7. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Matters your taste, I didn't really enjoy it. The Medic was ok. But for free, good chance for people to find out if they do like it.
  8. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, TF2 is not for everyone, but it's worth a try since it's free. It's more of a casual shooter than the "more serious" ones like the CoD franchise, Battlefield franchise, and even Counter-Strike. I love TF2 and play it at every chance (even after 2500+ hours of playing it) and I'm part of a competitive clan, but I've never touched CoD, BC2 or anything like that. I used to play a little CS:S and Halo:CE (lol) years ago but was never that good at either. If I didn't have TF2 I'd probably be playing CS:S. :)
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't play this game very often, but I really like it. I've had it since launch and I have about 60 hours total played into it. It's team based goodness and it can sometimes be hillarious depending on who you're playing with. Anyone who tries this game should at leat try every one of the nine classes as they are all very different from one another.
  10. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ive also had TF2 since launch, but i use to play it a lot, i have around 412 hours in the game. But i eventually stopped playing because more good games were coming out and i was getting tired of TF2 even with the new updates, the overall formula wore me out.

I used to even anticipate each class update as it came out and followed their official blog everyday. Now i just don't care enough about it.:ohwell:
  11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Love team fortress 2, dont play it much now but might have to boot it up and have a go since it being updated again.

Its awesome valve are still supporting the game, shows some real commitment.
  12. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    It's going to be Meet the Medic, not pyro. They already have 3 promotional images. Even if this is coming 2 years late.

I wouldn't say the updates that we've been getting since the class updates ended have shown "commitment." They've been more detrimental than anything. But with Portal 2 finished, this finally looks like a real update, instead of those half-baked community and item updates that took a wrecking ball to the balance of the game.
  13. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    streetfighter 2 says thanks.
  14. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Holy hell. That was the best "Meet the" yet.

I want to be reimbursed for TF2 now though.
  15. Salsoolo New Member

Thanks Received:
    got the orange box since launch.
    didnt play it for years. not even installed now.

btw its not free weekend, its free to play
    http://www.teamfortress.com/freetoplay/faq.php

imo they could have done a big price reduction rather than free. its going to be a mess
  16. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    yeah.. not free week. Its free to play forever. I think the paid version owners gets to be a 'premium' something something user.. in anycase, probly gonna give it a go again.. arrow headshots are so satisfying
  17. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yes, TF2 is free to play now. Nobody knew it was until last night when the update rolled out. At the time of the OP, it was a "Free Week of Play." I'll update the OP.

EDIT: OP updated to current information.
  18. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
  19. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    I didn't know there was a TeamFortress 2.. In another life I used to play TeamFortress, is this similar? All i can remember are the snipers.. Damn, I sure hated them.
  20. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    well its similar in gameplay but it has a unique style of graphics and map design im surprised you never heard of it since its a very popular game
  21. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    i prefer some of the other games valve do but at this price you can't go wrong captain
  22. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have never played this .. might give it a try!
  23. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    You were reincarnated?
  24. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    For those that don't know, first there was Team Fortress for Quake 1 way back in 1996 which moved on to Team Fortress Classic for Half Life in 1999 after Valve hired the dev team. And so many more incarnations for various games as that wikipedia page covers. Originally, "Team Fortress 2" was supposed to come out in like 2000 and it was forgotten vaporware til Valve released it out of nowhere in 2007 as TF2 in a "cartoony" form no one ever expected. And it was a blast from day 1 and has really evolved a lot since then with over 200+ free updates and lots of gameplay changes and even a items store and such.

My personal faves are the original, Quake 3 Fortress and TF2 in that order. Played a ton of the latter from release to about 10 months or so in way before they really started adding stuff. I always mean to go back but so many other games. Now is a good a time as any I guess.