1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

teamspeak server setup

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by shuggans, May 18, 2010.

1. shuggans

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I'm trying to set up a server for use with teamspeak. I have added it to the DMZ on my router, and have installed and configured the TS server. I'm able to connect to it on my internal network, but cant connect to it using the public IP picked up @ whatsmyip.net. SOOO I went to no-ip.com and installed that and have it running, but I cant connect to the server from the host name thats assigned to it wither. any ideas?
  2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Because your destination is ultimately your source address (the same public IP), the router may be getting confused and dropping the packets. Download and install wireshark on your computer. Start a capture on your NIC but be sure to set a filter as: host PublicIP. Follow up on what you see
  3. shuggans

Thanks Received:
    hmm

host PublicIP isnt a filter it allows me to set. I'm about to give up on this... Ive forwarded all ports necessary, etc. Still no dice. even tried connecting from a friends house just to see.
  4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    what operating system are you using and what version of teamspeak? you dont have to put the server you are running it on in the DMZ, you have to simply port forward.
  5. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    ^^This.

Putting the PC in the routers DMZ is leaving it wide open. Anyway, have you specifically allowed TS in the Windows firewall? Also, the clients will need to specify which port to use to connect to the server.
  6. shuggans

Thanks Received:

Yup, I left it default, 9987. TS3, on windows server 2008. Ill lock it down after I establis hconnectivity, but first I wanted everything wide open just so i can lock down one thing at a time. Even with the machine in the DMZ after port forwarding didnt work, and windows firewall off, i still cannot connect. All i should need is my networks public IP, and port 9987, correct?
  7. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    in linux it took me no time at all to get it working so long as i had the 3 main ports forwarded to the host.

i would suggest not putting your machine in DMZ. it actually makes it harder to diagnose issues that way. i also know that windows server 2008 has its own powerful firewall that you must allow traffic through. my guess is windows server 2008 is rejecting all outside connections.
  8. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    Obvious question time. You are using a TS3 client to try and connect with? Can you connect to the server using the IP address?
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
  9. shuggans

Thanks Received:

windows firewall is off, and I took the machine out of the DMZ. My internal ip is 192.168.4.14, set static on the machine. I can connect to the TS server from a different machine in the network. The problem comes when I try to connect with my laptop through internet tethered from my phone(my solution to having a friend testing w me). I use the IP from whatsmyip.net, port 9987 and still it doesn't work. I called my ISP, and they don't block any ports. We have a Belkin router, which all 3 ports required for TS (9987 UDP, 10011 TCP, 30033 TCP) are being forwarded to 192.168.4.14. I dont understand why it won't work.
  10. shuggans

Thanks Received:
    and yes, TS3 server ,TS3 client.
  11. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    any sort of NAT settings? also with windows server 2008 are there any administrative roles you need to establish?
  12. shuggans

Thanks Received:
    Where would I look for NAT settings?
  13. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    depends on your router. check the manual.
  14. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    If it connects internally fine, but not externally then it's definitely something in the router. Or the adress you're getting from whatismyip.com is incorrect. It's possible your ISP uses a proxy and that's the address that's being reported back to you. Maybe one of the staff here can look up the IP you're logging in from and see if it matches. Check a couple other IP report sites, speedtest.net and pingtest.net as backups.
  15. shuggans

Thanks Received:
    I have a belkin f5d8236-4 v2. I can
  16. shuggans

Thanks Received:
    All 3 ports TS3 uses are forwarded to the internal ip 192.168.4.14(the ip i set on the machine). Also, all ports are allwoed through the windows firewall, and incoming traffic is NOT disabled. pingtest AND whatismyip show 24.223.122.3 as my IP. anyone able to connect w the default 9987 port?
  17. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    according to my port sniffer, nmap, you only have rtsp and realserver open.
  18. shuggans

Thanks Received:
    I had that machine down for a while.
  19. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    try changing the port number to 4251
  20. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    it still says your ports are not open.
  21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i tried connecting, cant.

your issue is definitely related to port forwarding IMO.

You only have one router? one DHCP server?

oh and you definitely need someone external to test, most routers dont allow LAN connections to access your WAN IP
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  22. travva

travva New Member

Thanks Received:
    try it on a different port, perhaps you have something else in your lan using ts3 default port? if you can connect from within your lan and not via your wan ip then there's definitely something router related going on. i agree w/ the others about the dmz, but for now i'd suggest either taking the dmz out of the equation OR turning the port forwards off, just for troubleshooting purposes only, having both set can definitely muck things up.