• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TEC Coldplates

Hmm... I've been thinking all along, why doesnt anyone use TEC cold plates + their monster coolers these days? Whats the deal with that? And where can I get them anyway?

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ lapped @3,0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1264
Memory 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) Xpertvision 8800GTS 640MB G80
Storage 250GB Seagate Barracuda & 750GB Samsung
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 931BF
Case Coolermaster CM690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889A
Power Supply HEC WinPower 550W
Software Ubuntu 10.04 x86 & Windows 7 x86
Benchmark Scores I'm scared of benching
Titan Amanda and Swiftech MCW6500-T are with coldplate

We had a thread about TEC cooling in local latvian pc modding forum, but it's not in english, so you will not understand anything. Anyway we came to conclusion, that TEC is not good for long time use.

Last edited:
Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
there is an ultra cooler with tec as well.

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
no point, the cold plate is there to act as a temperature buffer allowing the uneven temperature profile of the cold ceramic plate of a TEC to be smoothed out providing uniform temperature distribution as well as acting as a high density conductive platform letting the copper coldplate absorb heat from the cpu while allowing the cold ceramic side of the TEC to get cold enough, so by the time the heat has started transfering thru the coldplate the TEC is fully chilled and can start acting on the coldplate itself. using a cold plate on a regular cooler, while not really being detrimental once the temperatures even out, will just increase the distance the heat has to travel to be dispersed by the cooling fins on a regular cooler

Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Software Windows 10 Pro
Titan Amanda and Swiftech MCW6500-T are with coldplate

We had a thread about TEC cooling in local latvian pc modding forum, but it's not in english, so you will not understand anything. Anyway we came to conclusion, that TEC is not good for long time use.

TEC cooling not good for long term use? lol

*Edit: however the use of TEC cooling with air cooling is just BAD, highly inneficient and total waste imo, unless fluid is incorporated intot he cooling u just end up with a power hungry crap ass cooler

ive been strictly TEC cooling for well over 10 years ^^

got my QX9650 TEC cooled and load temps are a nice 9C when well over 4ghz, and thats with slightly less flow than id like. long term use is A-ok, as its a solid state cooler, no moving parts (excluding pump) and can run for a very long time before malfunction

heres the one I use: Arctic Web, from the project log thingy i made a while ago:

Last edited:

Eclecticos

Oha I see. . so your watercooling your TEC?

Similar to the Dell H2C Cooling. .on the XPS. Cool!

Last edited:
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Software Windows 10 Pro
Oha. I see so your watercooling your TEC?

a tec shound NEVER be cooled any other way, as air cooling could only ever cool a very low wattage TEC module, and consiquently you could only keep the cpu barely under the best air cooler available, hence total waste. Im cooling a 437W TEC module via liquid cooling running it thru a Thermochil PA120.3 and a 120mm blackice rad.

Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Software Windows 10 Pro
You haven't had any problems with condensation?

no because you properly insulate against that using dielectric grease and neoprene insulation.

check out my project log if your interested:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=49242&highlight=quad+extreme+project

just for example heres an excerpt from my project: (wont post nuthin more on it as not my thread here ^^)

anyways, any1 can use this as a general guide to insulating against condensation when using tec cooling

"Because the thermoelectric cooler will introduce subzero temperatures to my system, it is crucial to insulate accordingly. The first thing that I did was to cover all of the slots/connectors and cpu socket with tape and coat the motherboard pcb with a Conformal coating spray:

I then proceeded to spray the pcb, both front and back with conformal coating 3 times. Each time I allowed 15 minutes for curing before proceeding onto the next coat.

Once this was done, I then removed all the tape from the motherboard and moved onto insulating the internal part of the socket. I will post this next part as a sort of step-by-step guide for any members who want to know how to correctly use Dielectric grease.

1) Fill the central recess in the socket with dielectric grease till it is level with the socket pins:

2) Smear dielectric grease across the pins and gaps in the socket, try to get it everywhere in the socket you can

3) Push in the CPU and the dielectric grease that is squeezed out try to spread this around the cap. Avoid getting this onto the IHS

4) Pull the lock lever and secure the cpu. Once secured into the socket proceed to squirt more dielectric grease into any visable voids and gaps. I found a small syringe ideal for this

5) Apply a neoprene gasket to the back of the pcb where the processor socket is located to insulate against condensation from the rear of the cpu.

6) Add dielectric grease to the gaskets designed to fit around the processor socket and then place them onto the motherboard. I had to trim some of mine to allow for adjacent components. I also used silicone glue on the gaskets around the motherboard base to completely lock away any possibility of air getting in. Here you can also see where I have applied Liquid Metal Pro Thermal interface material to the CPU:

All that was left to do was add neoprene to the Arctic Web block and then attach this to the motherboard:

Looks daunting... too unsafe...... =_=.

With that I can see the issue as to why its inefficient... the heatpipe/fin design is inefficient anyway! So please explain... the heatpipe coolers serve as a radiator; a TEC will transfer heat faster than a heatpipe right? Note I do NOT want to drive temps so low that its like negative. I just want to drive it down slightly, lets see lower than ambient.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Anytime something is lower than ambient condensation can become a problem, so a few degree temp drop for the same work involved with a full TEC/water setup is silly.

Mandelore. WOW, that is fucking awsome. If I ever want to go TEC may I send you mine to be setup? :D

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ lapped @3,0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1264
Memory 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) Xpertvision 8800GTS 640MB G80
Storage 250GB Seagate Barracuda & 750GB Samsung
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 931BF
Case Coolermaster CM690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889A
Power Supply HEC WinPower 550W
Software Ubuntu 10.04 x86 & Windows 7 x86
Benchmark Scores I'm scared of benching
TEC cooling not good for long term use? lol

Forgot - with air cooling on it. :)
None of us was tried it with WC, especially in so great way as you did. Nice cooling setup ;)

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
no because you properly insulate against that using dielectric grease and neoprene insulation.

check out my project log if your interested:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=49242&highlight=quad+extreme+project

just for example heres an excerpt from my project: (wont post nuthin more on it as not my thread here ^^)

anyways, any1 can use this as a general guide to insulating against condensation when using

[/B]

3) Push in the CPU and the dielectric grease that is squeezed out try to spread this around the cap. Avoid getting this onto the IHS

4) Pull the lock lever and secure the cpu. Once secured into the socket proceed to squirt more dielectric grease into any visable voids and gaps. I found a small syringe ideal for this

5) Apply a neoprene gasket to the back of the pcb where the processor socket is located to insulate against condensation from the rear of the cpu.

6) Add dielectric grease to the gaskets designed to fit around the processor socket and then place them onto the motherboard. I had to trim some of mine to allow for adjacent components. I also used silicone glue on the gaskets around the motherboard base to completely lock away any possibility of air getting in. Here you can also see where I have applied Liquid Metal Pro Thermal interface material to the CPU:

All that was left to do was add neoprene to the Arctic Web block and then attach this to the motherboard:

you sir need to turn that into a guide!