1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tech in schools proving useless

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by micropage7, Sep 6, 2011.

1. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    This ones not right though, with climate change, it will be the opposite.

Haha, got your point though, in the aftermath of the second world war, people were optimists, then the cloud of the iron curtain came and threw in doom, now its terrorists! I guess its what drives people forward. Fear.
  2. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    You are right and I love the way you put it, but I fear for their future.
  3. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    What the heck?

I understand bringing back some of the punishments to the school system. Having run through the US public school system myself, I know that often the only discipline is internal from the value system you've installed in yourself. In other words, the school didn't discipline me, I disciplined myself.

This said, you've gone a bit off the deep end. In India school is a priviledge, in the US it's basically cheap babysitting. We will have to pay for this idiocy sooner or later....

Agreed. No child left behind, then the litany of hate that followed, damaged the US. Our school systems have been on the decline for years, but parents are unwilling to allow teachers to met out punishment. Having no consequences, in the child's perception at least, breeds children that don't feel that education is a priviledge. This will be the downfall of the public education system in the long run.

Dang skippy. I remember watching VHS tapes to understand WWII, human biology, and scince. Technology made a textbook fit into a couple of videos, and gave me a less dry way of learning.

On the other hand, I've experienced "movie days" whenever a teacher was too lazy, or didn't want to broach the next subject. Technology doesn't teach children.

Either a teacher makes the subject interesting enough for the student to want to teach themselves, or they ram the subject down a student's mouth to supress the gag reflex. Any other teaching methodology is going to fall flat, because the knowledge isn't interesting enough or ingrained deeply enough.

Some students fall into the self teaching category. You have gifted and talented programs for them. The students on the opposite end go to special classes and get attention from negative actions. Those students in the middle are without either attention, and flounder.

I guess this author (cited article for this thread, not those that comment) thought that tech would be the magical panacea that gave those in the middle the attention they actually deserved. Looking at this problem wholistically; unless the tech is the nannybot 9000, and allowed to deliver negative and positive reinforcement, it won't come anywhere close to solving the problem
    Riotpump says thanks.
  4. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Id batter the teacher who hit my child (if i had one), its unregulated abuse, regulated abuse would be even worse as that's borderline fascism.

There is always a reason a child is a little shit, they don't just do things for no reason. You need to tackle a root problem not just beat a child, if you just hit them they don't learn its wrong to misbehave they learn not to get caught or they take out the abuse on other children in the playground or carry it into the home.

Ill batter your children see how you like it chances are you wont and i will be arrested for assault and child abuse. Cynical? no not really as to me that's the hard cold facts. If corporal punishment was so great in the first place why was it abolished? THINK ABOUT IT FOR A MOMENT. Also you act like most children are out of control when its a tiny percentage that could be dealt with in other manners.
  5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You worry no more than any other good parent who has gone before you or will come after.

The purpose of a school is to educate your children in what they will need to be able to compete in the job market successfully and/or continue on to get an advanced degree is a specialized discipline.
    It is not there to babysit kids because the parents have no interest in doing that themselves. Unfortunately, that is not the reality especially in many urban public schools.

Schools, especially elementary schools and high schools, should not be wasting time or money teaching social agendas and other BS. It is the parents job to raise the kids, not the school's.

If a child is neglected, undisciplined and left to run amock, no amount of tech in a school is going to make any difference.

Again, just my opinion. :)
  6. casual swift

casual swift New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 Agreed
  7. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    I was told to never use my brain and only use my calculator, eventually i went from perfect math grades to mediocre grades. Since then I made it my mission to avoid educational establishments and try to learn everything by myself. That being said, google, and the internet as a whole has actually taught me more about this world and its history more than school has.
  8. casual swift

casual swift New Member

Thanks Received:
    Teaching fail...
  9. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's because power point is a buisness presentation tool being misused as a teaching aid.
  10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    The tech in my high school didn't help much. Computers all over the place and all they could do was browse the net... and for game websites that weren't blocked most of the time. I did all of the computer work at home, on a computer that wasn't locked down, was set up the way I was used to, and had all my files and such right there... not stuck at school and not able to take it back home with me cause everything was blocked, restricted and incompatable to the point where legitimately using the computers were next to useless. The best thing we had was the smart boards which were commonly seen in the math classrooms... and then the notes would then be posted online, where I could look at them at home if needed.
    Crunching for Team TPU