1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Techpowerup! Hwbot Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by d1nky, Aug 16, 2013.

1. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I will soon have my GPU's under water as well as replacing the MSI motherboard with the ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME. After I have completed my updated Haswell build I will see what I can contribute.

d1nky says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Just a note for ya, that m6e won't get you any further overclocking wise. Unless you go cold. Its not worth the cost.

HammerON says thanks.
  3. HammerON

Thanks Received:
    Already own it. I bought it about a month ago. Oh well...

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    The M6E will have m nice ram timing options so you can take advantage of that. But as far as CPU speed is concerned motherboards do very little with haswell because the main output VRM is on the cpu substrate itself.
    The M6E also has really good PCIe lane routing where the main card is always run directly to the CPU.

5. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Boards didnt do much for SB/IB either and their VRM's were not on the CPU. A lot of people think that they need an expensive board to run high clocks when the reality is, an ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 will push your IB CPU to its ambient cooling limits and brush it off.

Its even worse with Haswell. ;)

6. HammerON

Thanks Received:
    I am looking for a little bit more stability when running two 780's overclocked as well as the cpu....

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Any board that supports two cards will be stable. :)

8. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    The X79 platform is really dependent on the board to the point where some boards hit 200mhz more than others using the same voltage

9. Rangerjr1

Rangerjr1

Thanks Received:
    Dinky stop going offline!

10. OhWell

OhWell New Member

Thanks Received:
    marsey99 and d1nky say thanks.
  11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    d1nky says thanks.
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    you forget about clocking VGAs hard, and some cards needing additional 3.3 V from PCIe. NOt all boards offer added power delivery for PCIe.

OC is more than JUST CPU, or JUST memory...

For CPU OC, yeah, most boards are equal, but power consumption of VRM(board heat) and other seemingly small items (T-Topology) can have a HUGE impact on performance and the longevity of an OC.

For benching...air, yeah, not too much will matter..it's more about BIOS support for pushing the memory you are using.

I was hoping to see you in this thread. :rockout:

marsey99, Random Murderer and d1nky say thanks.
  13. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    its good to see dave in here giving advice, thanks man!

14. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    I didn't forget a thing. I clocked two 7970's to the moon on an Asrock Z77 Extreme 3 for Pete's sake. No extra power for PCIe, nothing. Maybe I was lucky. :)

Perhaps the HIS 7970 IceQ x2 doesnt require that extra power, while 780's do? I don't know. :confused:

I hear ya, and believe ya, just havent experienced 'instability' yet across a couple of low end boards with high end cards.

15. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Give me a bit I will get some clocking done. Just wish I had some good parts down while I have time here in Houston. Oh well.

[​IMG]

Need to weasel my way up to first for the team again it has been a while. Got a TK-42 sitting in the box that should be good for a handful of first place spots.

16. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:

Is the mvg one that doesn't have that extra power?

I ran 3770k 6+ghz and cf 7970 also and did get some good scores

only reason I see ppl get the 300+ mb are for 3-4 cards and if they need the space to run the cards on ln2

17. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    I should join tpu :p but I gave up ocing :(

but nice seeing tpu getting more ppl back into this even though the bot is poorly run lol

marsey99 and d1nky say thanks.
  18. Rangerjr1

Rangerjr1

Thanks Received:
    Dinky come online i need help!

19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You don't push hard enough. when going for frequency, it can matter a bit, but more for 3D points...

Of course, some boards have better PCIe power delivery than others, but to compare the EX4 to a $400 board specifically designed for benchmarking...I do not believe it's as cut and dry as you say. it's very close, no doubt...but in NO WAY is it directly equal. BIOS plays too big of a role, and the high-end OC boards tend to get more BIOS support.

Of course, I am one of just maybe 5 people that seem to think PCIe 3.3V power is important. But it was important enough for Shammy to point out why the Maximus V Extreme had VRM between the PCIe slots specifically for 3.3V, and offered the ability to adjust 3.3V line in BIOS...

Also, you don't have to "believe me". I don't come up with ANY of this info, I am merely relating tips. XD...and they aren't MY tips... I only give tips for 24/7 since no one else does.

marsey99 says thanks.
  20. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    :roll::roll::roll::roll:

:slap:

:shadedshu

Doesnt push hard enough... OH MAN, I think I just pee'd in my drawers a little laughing at that statement... wow.

Being serious, something tells me that dude will not be frankensteining his cards or going ln2...which THEN would want that extra power at hte pcie slot. We can both make up scenarios to which is needed. I was just sharing my experience with it is all.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    cadaveca says thanks.
  21. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Make that 6. I specifically look for an extra PCI-e lane power connector when buying boards I know will be pushed hard with multiple cards. My P55 FTW had one, my X48-T3RS had one, and this RIVE obviously has one. I think it's a highly underrated feature on high-end boards. This notion was reassured when I was talking with Shammy last year.
    I had a good laugh as well:roll:

22. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    man i can't get 4.8GHz stable on my CPU anymore

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    while amd started the ball rolling intel really took it to a whole new level with sandy b. yes the be chips were the 1st mainstream unlocked cpu sandy just made it so it was fool proof and so much came down to the chip and not the board. i had my 25k in a cheap z68, a higher end z68 and a mid ranged z77 and it was just as fast in them all. ok the higher end z68 could do the same speeds on less voltage (24 phase vs 4 in the z68 and 12 in the z77) but it wouldnt go any faster in it.

dave i totally agree dude, people do focus too much on just some aspects of overclocking when for the best day to day system you want to find the sweetspot where everything is tweaked a little bit to make the most of its performance. i have ben a long time fan of pcie clocking for 3d bench runs but it too comes with its own risks.

as for the extra power, i think thats more needed with the older cards which would suck that much juice all day under load than todays which need to be cold to run fast enough.

24. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    My HD 7970 does take voltage adjustments but won't scale very well past 1150mhz on 1150mv. Any suggestions cuz I wanna get into 3d benching but my card won't hit 1.2ghz even at 1.3v and my temps are sub 65 at 100% load so those are non issue.

25. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Some boards REQUIRE you to use it with SLI/CFx... Like EVGA iirc.

I also agree with what dave said, but this is a hwbot overclocking thread where we care less about that stuff. Good memeory clocking, cpu clocking, plx if a few gpus, good power delivery... Done. That discussion in this context really has no relevance I'm afraid.