1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerup IC Diamond Results Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by IC Diamond, Aug 18, 2012.

1. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Guess I'll answer my own question then :wtf:

It must be the same shit as last year... Hmmm :twitch:

2. IC Diamond

IC Diamond Innovation Cooling Rep

Thanks Received:
    ICD24 same as ICD7 - Numbers denote Carat weight - 1 Carat = 0.2 gm

Updated library of contact images on post 116 on the previous page to include the EK Supremacy Full Nickel. Not looking good for the WB's with the exception of one of the Koolance tests

EK Supremacy FULL NICKEL courtesy of Gilgamesh

[​IMG]

3. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Oh sorry... It's a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo :eek:

I did the test twice coz I thought I did it wrong the first time... Same result... I might try to lap the base although I've never done it before that's why I'm kind of hesitating hahaha... :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Been giving the ICD a good good burn in time with the phenom/heavy watercooling setup. Stuff is doing pretty well but almost no improvement next to the Noctua from before. Will post real world number shortly. So far it is a 40C load temp either way.

5. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Ambient: 70.2 F

With fresh paste, F@H temp raised 1-2.

C/P shows really weak results. Not suprised, as the pressure is delivered via springs. Later (not tonight), I will mod it to use nuts and bolts.

Time to finish Neuromancer.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    TRWOV's results

TEST SYSTEM:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 B3 @ 2.92Ghz 1.5v (stock), lapped
    MoBo: Asrock Conroe865PE
    Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520

[​IMG]

Tested compounds:

[​IMG]

- Cooler Master standard thermal compound. No cure time.
    - Artic Cooling MX-4. No cure time.
    - IC Diamond 24 carat. ~10 hours of cure time, 5 cold-hot cycles.

Pressure pads results:

[​IMG]

Test 1: Heatsink stock
    Test 2: Heatsink slighty lapped
    Test 3: more lapping

Results:

Intel Burn Test:

Cooler Master standard thermal compound (no cure time, TEST3 pattern):
    Max avg (4 cores): 75C
    Min avg (4 cores): 39C

IC Diamond (+6 months of cure time, TEST1 pattern, low pressure):
    Max avg (4 cores): 68.5C
    Min avg (4 cores): 40.75C

Arctic Cooling MX-4 (no cure time, TEST3 pattern):
    Max avg (4 cores): 68.5C
    Min avg (4 cores): 37.75C

IC Diamond (~10 hours of cure time, TEST3 pattern, high pressure):
    Max avg (4 cores): 67.25C
    Min avg (4 cores): 38.5C

[​IMG]

Pics:
    Cooler Master standard thermal compound
    [​IMG]

IC Diamond (TEST1 pattern, low pressure)
    [​IMG]

Artic Cooling MX-4
    [​IMG]

IC Diamond (TEST3 pattern)
    [​IMG]

OCCT:

Core 0 is the hottest so I'll use that graph only. I should have left HWmonitor running along with OCCT :ohwell:

Cooler Master standard thermal compound (no cure time, TEST3 pattern):
    [​IMG]

IC Diamond (+6 months of cure time, TEST1 pattern, low pressure):
    [​IMG]

Arctic Cooling MX-4 (no cure time, TEST3 pattern):
    [​IMG]

IC Diamond (~10 hours of cure time, TEST3 pattern):
    [​IMG]

Conclusion:

It seems that the IC Diamond compound needs heat and good contact between the heatsink and CPU to truly shine as its performance increased with improved pressure and although idle temps are nothing to write home about (the standard CM compound comes close) at high temps the performance is superb. Also this series of test just opened my eyes on how bad contact some heatsinks provide, I think I'll buy some pressure paper in the future. :eek:

I have to comment on MX-4, though: with no cure time it performed within a 1C range in relation to IC Diamond. Still, IC Diamond performed just as well even with substandard mounting pressure (TEST1 vs TEST3).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    and just now I learn that IC7 and IC24 are the same thing. The 7 carat and 24 carat come from the weight :D changing post accordingly.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    I knew they were the same. ICD 24 has been out for over a year as well. I used IC24 over a year ago and it has worked well. I thought this free sample was to get a totally new formula but in turns out its just to get more testing done. It's all good. :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  9. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    I posted in the 'request thread'.. oops! Anyway, here are the results...again:

Ok...... the eagle landed last week and went up H2H with MX-4....

Environment was 21C under custom water for the tests. I remounted the Diamond a couple times to make sure i was getting a good spread/mount as this stuff is STICKY and doesnt spread well it seems. That said after a good contact I saw these results:

Stock:
    MX-4 idle - 27C (average across cores)
    IC D idle - 27C ( " " " )
    MX-4 load - 54C ( " " " )
    ICD load - 53C ( " " " )

Overclocked - 4.9Ghz 1.5v - (no power saving on constant v and clocks)
    MX4 idle - 30C
    ICD idle - 29C
    MX4 load - 93C
    ICD load - 91C

Ugh, the viscosity and the ability of this stuff to spread is thick, wow. It doesnt even like to spread with a credit card or anything it just like clumps and rolls off the processor. Gotta do something about that if possible with the materials you use!

Thanks for the sample, solid product guys. :) :toast:

10. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    lol in the regular thread the guy pretty much says dont spread it use pressure only

11. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Right... after multiple failures with getting a good spread (tried increasing quantities of product, mounting the block (Apogee XT) in different ways), it just wouldnt spread well. So I tried to spread it with a CC... that failed even worse. It turns out that copious amounts of this product (literally pea sized, not rice - as the instructions stated) were needed with my setup to achieve adequate coverage. :)

I dont have this issue with MX-2/4, AS5 and the temperature difference wasnt that great.

Single case though, I would imagine the problem is with the mounting pressure being limited on the Apogee XT setup vs others that are not? No clue.

12. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yea mounting pressure etc matters, i mean hell i saw an 8c drop in temps at the SAME ambient room temps on my Ivy bridge system compared to MX4, i dont know why i did multiple tests of each but temps stayed roughly the same within 1c on each test, then again compared to many in this thread i have one of the best mountings in terms of surface contact area and pressure and both together make all the difference it seems.

13. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Yeah.. temps were fine with any product, mounting pressure was good and as complete as I have seen it (sorry, no photos of that... :() so it wasnt that.

14. IC Diamond

Thanks Received:
    EarthDog

5.5MM Bead id recommended - compression spread should work fine unless you have extremely light pressure then if that's the case some effort should be made to shore up the mount to provide more pressure as you are likely in the 30lb range and would gain something like 5C even on a generic paste.

But as your results are more or less in the expected range pressure probably is fine, a little tweaking perhaps but not bad.

Alternatively you can mix a drop or two of solvent like acetone or IP to thin it to your desired consistency then let it dry Completely about 10 min. then apply sink.

Do make sure it is dry otherwise it will leave voids in the joint.

15. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Thanks IC D. I tried tightening down two screws at a time, one at time in a circle, and crossed pattern, it just didnt do well until I literally had a pea sized amount on there (like your instructions state). :)

My concern isnt so much the spread as it worked out when I followed the instructions, but the amount of applications /tube /$ vs other products.

16. IC Diamond

Thanks Received:
    Does not matter - Paste application is more of a volume fill + area coverage. Better to have enough compound on the mount for optimal performance than to have to redo your mount which wastes more compound on a reapplication.

This is why some people have poor results with the older metal pads they were so thin there was not enough material to bridge the void gaps on IHS?sinks with light contact

On the 24 carat syringes sample you received should be enough for 10 applications

Frogger and EarthDog say thanks.
  17. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Use some lemon juice to clean the stains. :cool:

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. NAVI_Z

NAVI_Z New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been reading this thread quite closely and was wonderin if anyone out there had

Indigo Extreme Engineered TIM to compare to IC-D 24? The pressure test with the paper is

quite an eye opener.I was also under the impression that the CPU had more of a "concave"

than the HS.I say this because I've read many reviews on HS's and a some water blocks

made by some manufactures that make their blocks with a slight "concave" for "optimal"

contact surface area n such.

19. IC Diamond

Thanks Received:
    LM are great thermal performers in fact we entertained the idea of a LM product before we settled on developing our own compound. I would say that LM's are roughly equivalent to a solder joint but our analysis was that they are less forgiving than IC Diamond in poor contact situations but are much better in light pressure mounts as it hits it's BLT with little resistance. In some internet reviews you will see IC Diamond performance a degree or two better than LM's this is due to "Real World" contact issues as I would expect them to be slightly better although a degree or two of test error should be factored in on any individual test. I had one test LM comparison on a German giveaway where ICD was applied for a 20C improvement, pretty much a contact issue I am sure.

So inconsistent end user results is one issue another is cost per application is quite high also in our opinion they are not real user friendly on application or clean up.

LM's despite being on the market for 6 or 7 years are approximately 0.25% of the market if our overall forum sample giveaway's of approx 850 end user test comparisons is any indicator of user preference although it could be skewed due to extra effort in removal and application or perhaps they are happy with their result and see no need to try any thing else.

In any event for whatever reason your average Joe overclocker selects something other for the time being and we believe our initial marketing analysis was correct.

[​IMG]

It is hard to separate design strategies from internet urban myth. Intel spec on the IHS is Flat and // to within .002 and from the contact patterns they have a broad range of profiles from concave to convex and or some combination of the two and I see no Intel spec that spec's a concave IHS.....

Concave makes no sense to me in that if you have a concave pattern profile w/bowed or convex sink along with a sink that is larger than the IHS the sink ends up resting on the edges of the concave (IHS) with little or no centre contact which seem to match those patterns like the one below

[​IMG]

All in all a flat sink would cover(contact area) more irregular IHS profiles than one that is biased in a particular way. The only argument for it I can think of is that with the reduced contact area where you do have contact the pressure is increased, there may be other alternative reasons that are not obvious to me such as design/manufacturing tradeoffs

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    NAVI_Z says thanks.
  20. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    k got mine today and tested on my c2q and obviously its lapping time

my old baby

Core 2 Quad Q8400@3.5Ghz(Downclocked from 4)
    Asus GTX 460
    Artic Cooling Geminii+1 120x38mm + 4 Case fans
    Antec 300

[​IMG]

I still love/d me some AS5

[​IMG]

OCCT

before IC Diamond(This is the best I could ever get with AS5 on my PC)
    Ambient is 28C
    Idle is 38C
    Fully cured
    [​IMG]

IC Diamond
    Ambient is 28C
    Idle is 38C
    has cured for about 3 hours now
    [​IMG]

over all the cores I am getting a solid 3C to 5C drop, very cool

GTX460 - Direct CU

Kombuster

Before(With AS5)
    Ambient is 28C
    Idle is 39C
    Fully cured
    [​IMG]

IC Diamond
    Ambient is 28C
    Idle is 32C:laugh:
    3 hours cure time
    [​IMG]

all I can say is damn, AS5 got its ass kicked

but I need to lap with that pressure test what kind of lap would u recommend IC Diamond

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  21. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I should get in on this... oced first gen i7 can get all the help it can!

22. NAVI_Z

NAVI_Z New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanx for such an in depth response.:rockout::toast:

stinger608 says thanks.
  23. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    So here is my list of tested products
    AMD Phenom II X4 with stock cooler at 3.7 GHz 1.375V and IMC at 2.8 GHz 1.275V
    Before Compound:Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400
    Ambient Temp:28-29 degree C
    Idle Temp:34 degree C
    Load Temp:61 degree C

ICD
    Ambient Temp:30 degree C
    Idle Temp:34 degree C
    Load Temp:58 degree C(3 degrees difference even with ambient slightly more.)

HP 430 laptop(Pentium Dual Core 2.2 GHz Sandy Bridge)
    Before Compound:Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400
    Idle Temp:40-42 degree C
    Load Temp:79 degree C

ICD
    Idle Temp:40-42 degree C
    Load Temp:69 degree C(Whoa that is a 10 degree difference)

Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1 GB DDR5 copper cooler 960 MHz core and 1290 MHz mem stock voltages

Before Compound:Cooler Master thermal fusion 400
    Idle Temp:42 degree C
    Load Temp:81 degree C

ICD
    Idle Temp:42 degree C
    Load Temp:76 degree C(5 degree C difference)

So this thermal compound totally rocks. Thanks for the awesome giveaway.
    The key to this being awesome is the thickness. It performs awesome in cases where there is extremely high pressure like that of my laptop or GPU cooler. Also the CPU temp was reduced significantly. Thanks to you all again. I have posted some pictures and screenshots on the giveaway thread and in this one too. This is just summarized.
    Stay tuned for a pressure test also and for another Phenom II X4 955 that is now maxing at 66 degree C(overheating).

24. Novulux

Thanks Received:
    Stock cooler and paste(i3-2100)
    Ambient: 25.6
    Idle: 37
    Load: 65

ICD
    Ambient: 27.7
    Idle: 37
    Load: 64

Gonna try reapplying later, but I just wanted to get my post in before 30 days..

25. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    New contact pressure test with DT SNIPER water block directly on IB i5-3570k.

[​IMG]