1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp! Official IC Diamond Test

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by stinger608, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    I would have tryed IC Diamond previous to this mess. Now I think I will stick with ARCTIC,as it has none of these issues.

2. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Thanks DOM, never called anyone a lier lol. So by rights, I can call you a lier? hmmm :laugh:

3. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright folks, this thread is going no where fast. This TIM testing is dividing our community and there is no need for it.
    It is clear that some have had problems and others have not. Please - try to remain civil in your posts:)

fullinfusion and Mindweaver say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Repeat these tests using something polished or nickel please. Your choice of copper plate is rather rough. Also try using a tripod, good lighting and a macro setting on the camera. While I didn't have any issues with the paste I received, the amount of folks having issues leads me to believe that it is not their process or heatsinks causing the issues.

For those who did have issues with this product, I would like to see some pictures, preferably with the paste spread out on a sheet of white paper and check for any kind of particles or other inconsistencies.

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you would need to heat the paste for this, it is too thick to spread to the point of seeing anything.

6. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    i still have some left i can try to spread it out, but i only experienced a nasty smell and staining and the ihs letters got lighter on the ihs but that cpu has been sold

in a warm cup of water ? like fullinfusion said a while back to help it spread XD

7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sure, just saying out of the tube in ambient temperatures wouldn't work.

8. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    You know I have been keeping up with this thread and have been just strugging most of the complaints aside as I installed this stuff on a few of my systems and it performed well so cool, but lately I was noticing a very obvious drop in my old laptop(a precision m6300) which i was testing this stuff on.

So I disassemble it and start to remove it, bam fishy smell(I think its caused by friction but who cares its only a smell), but as soon as I start to take it off it starts scratching the die on the cpu ever so slightly and left a minor blemish on it and I was just like wtf, I have used dozens of other tims for years and only had that happen with anything but the cheapest stuff(ebay garbage) and a few of the liquid metals.

Had one more heatsink to go, because this has an old 7950GTX in it and this is where I am somewhat not happy, very very obvious blemishing, and more scratching, I am just surprised that what some of you were saying was actually true, very surprised.

If you guys install this stuff do the die directly, remove it very carefully.

maybe its because they were soft

I don't know, no pics either, not in the mood.

but based on the performance on my desktops I still wouldn't think its that bad as long as you have an ihs(as long as those are not damaged) but on a die directly, not a chance in hell man.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Could vibrations from a very strong mounted FAN on a heat sink create the effect needed to put pits in the die?

Also I could careless about scratches on my CPU die, I just want to make sure it won't pit!

10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have temporarily closed the thread, I beleive it is descending into a bit of a mess with the Pro and negative experience and at times is getting out of hand.

I welcome the hard evidence from investigations that the company is currently carrying out on Sneekypeet's cooler and no doubt others, it is clear that they are attempting to resolve things and I look forward to a honest and open response, at which time I will re-open the thread so the results can be posted here for the community to see and hopefully move forward.... thank you.

Chicken Patty and HammerON say thanks.
  11. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Despite no replies or responses from the company to various PM's to date sadly, it's been decided only fair to re-open, please keep things civil and constructive.

SonDa5 and Fourstaff say thanks.
  12. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    oh no! What have you done tatty :)

adulaamin and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  13. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Here are my pics when I replaced the TIM on my CPU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice how the stain is only on the copper heatpipes? I'm assuming there's something that makes the paste react to copper. It would be good if ICDiamond could do a test where they could simulate what happens if their TIM is used on copper bases for a prolonged period of time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No damages only staining and a weird smell from the paste just like what some of the other members here are reporting. I've since gon back to using Tuniq TX-4.

fullinfusion and Random Murderer say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Before ppl call me a fan boy just let me chime in here k!

As most know I've been ... well on ICD's side for most of the tests.

The post above me shows and said it stained the copper base.

I agree but FACT is....

Copper stains regardless on what you put on it. Look! a penny being copper, it stains just from being in your pocket :eek:

Copper pipe for water lines stain just from the atmosphere around it.

And about the smell, What does a person do to say it has a weird order? Do you stick your nose rite into the paste to smell it? It's a question and not a pock at ppl.

I have a copper based water block stored away and guess what... it's also stained. Guess what the paste was?

MX4 paste! :eek:

:wtf:

stinger608 says thanks.
  15. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I think there is a difference between oxidation and staining

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    But isn't it the same thing? just different ways of staining?

17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Oxidation is "rust". It is a chemical reaction and the oxidation is what's left over. As far as the staining goes, stains can be cleaned you just need to right solvent.

t_ski, stinger608 and fullinfusion say thanks.
  18. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    we cant call you somthing you already know what you are already :roll:

and on the smell no I didnt put my nose near it just from removing the wb and the smell came out

19. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    ^
    lol :roll:

And thank you Erocker! Question answered

20. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Cleaned this off my parts few weeks ago. Paste had an odor like a fishy/metal reaction.

My CPU IHS laser etching was worn almost away. I couldn't capture it on camera.

Just wanted to share my experience.

SonDa5 says thanks.
  21. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I will go ahead and pull the sink after my deployment so everyone can see if it pitted the shiny nickle bottom of my CM V10. Has high RPM fans, is huge and has ICD under it. If anything is going to cause problems it is. Hell it shipped from the US to were I am now in my luggage so you know it was tossed around.

stinger608 says thanks.
  22. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Be patiently awaiting your report and be safe too bro! :toast:

23. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to point out to people rushing to check their sinks and IHS for scratches who might not have been paying attention before - scratching and light gouging is normal regardless of paste. Especially on those polished high pressure sinks. If you want to be confident in your complaint I'd take before and after pics mounting with another paste, and then again with ICD.

I'd just like to see some harder to question results in this thread.

stinger608 says thanks.
  24. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Thats a very good point, I would also like to hear of the results of several weeks of testing IC Diamond have been completing on coolers with these claims, it seems our IC Diamond rep visits here most days but has not as yet updated us.

25. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:

In the past I used IC Diamond with confidence but don't anymore due to damage my block and die suffered from about a month of usage of IC Diamond.

The surface of block and die was like new before using IC Diamond.

photos from the problem that I had that I think was created by some chunky diamond crystals were in my IC Diamond.

Pit in block
    [​IMG]

Mark on die with some micro scratches.
    [​IMG]

If you use IC Diamond I think it is a good idea to check for damage before it gets worse. I feel lucky I checked mine after a month. With more time more damage may have have occurred.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013