1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Temp Anti Aliasing

Discussion in 'ATITool' started by Dakuhr, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Dakuhr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I used to habe problems with my settings while playing BF2, but now I've turned on temp. anti aliasing. Is that a good idea?? I don't really know what I should turn on or shouldn't. I've tryed out alot. I've got a ATI Radeon 9800pro and the latest ATI graphcard driver ATI catalyst control center version:1.2.2128.637 :p

Could u guys help me out a little to find the optimal settings.:ohwell:

2. grazzhoppa New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't really understand what you're asking or what problems you've had with bf2 but....

as far as i know, temporal anti aliasing works best at higher frame rates because it takes data from different frames and combines then to create a more effective smoothing effect than regular anti aliasing. So if you don't have enough frames to take the extra data from, you'll start to see weird things that don't look good.

It depends on how bf2 is running for you. If you have it set up so you're getting 60+ frames per second consistantly, then turning on temporal anti aliasing would be a good thing because it would give you better image quality than regular anti aliasing.

But if you're getting around 30 fps consistantly, then I don't see how temporal anti aliasing would be a good choice to use...

I think temp. AA is just an eye candy technique.

3. Dakuhr New Member

Thanks Received:
    fps?

It wasn't really a question, more off a cry out for tips :p
    no no, but how do I know how many frames per second I have? thats not the same as my desktop frequenty is it??

4. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    For BF2 on a 9800pro I would suggest no antialiasing and maybe 4x anisotropic filtering. At a resolution of about 1024x768.

5. Dakuhr New Member

Thanks Received:
    But dude then it looks terrible. Normally I use 1600*1200 and alot of AA and everything on low or medium. Ill try some stuff out.

6. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It's all subjective, I was just giving you a suggestion. I think it looks terrible if you set the image quality to low, I had it set to high when I had my 9800pro. In the end you just have to tweak it until you find what's best for you. Good luck.

7. Dakuhr New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK thanks, Ill try some stuff out