1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Temp. sensor ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by maddogtwo000, Apr 23, 2011.

1. maddogtwo000

maddogtwo000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Where is the best place to install a temperature sensor on a processor, My coupter case has a temp. gauge built in it. need to know where the best place to put the sensor on the CPU or on the Heat Sink and what to use to hold it in place.
  2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to TPU!
    That's a loaded question.

The tech documents I have from AMD actually recommend machining a tiny channel into the heatsink and then putting the probe in the channel.

[​IMG]

Another option is to drill a tiny hole near the base of the heatsink and insert the thermal probe with some thermal paste.

The easiest, and least useful thing, is to attach the thermal probe with some thermal tape as close to the CPU core as possible.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  3. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    you do know that there are various programs that will read the temperature of a CPU with out the need of a sensor?
  4. maddogtwo000

maddogtwo000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes I know about the programs, just wanting to hook up sensor for a full time approximately temp. I know the sensor are not very true.
  5. maddogtwo000

maddogtwo000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont think I want to machining a tiny channel into the heatsink. All it takes is a little air pocket to cause the cpu to over heat, not to mention if you mess up trying to machining a channel into it.