1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Temps seem too high for a dual

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Maelstrom, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    Alright I have a e8500 (C0 stepping) and with my swiftech h20-220 compact I get about 55c load with my cpu at 4.3 (1.392 volts). I know wolfdales run cool, but this doesnt seem cool to me. I know its not the cooler, cuse it replaced a sunbeam core-contact freezer, and it loaded at like 70c. So my question is..whats up?? I know processors vary and stuff but i expected it to be lower, especially since I had a high end air cooler and it was at 70c :ohwell:
  2. Pum New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds reasonably OK to me, in my limited experience. I have an E8400 running stock 3GHz so far, and it hits 43c or so on full load (TJmax set at 100c.) I believe below 60c is considered fine. Also, how are you measuring that? I assume it's core temp, but which tool are you using and what value for TJmax does it use?
    Maelstrom says thanks.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If running Prime95 / Orthos small fft's cpu stress test keeps it under 65 deg you're safe because no game or application would be stressing your cpu as much. And at 65 deg, cpu's start to throttle, not burn. They burn only if you increase the voltage beyond what that particular cpu can withstand. So be careful because you're at 1.392 and afaik for wolfdales that's very near the max of 1.4V.
    That means you can oc your proc more because temps permit it, but don't increase voltage more otherwise you'd be playing with fire.
    Maelstrom says thanks.
  4. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    1.39v for a 45nm core will make it run that hot under load. Those temperatures don't seem out of the ordinary. I'm surprised your swiftech is giving you those good temps under load :toast:
    Maelstrom says thanks.
  5. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually those temps at 1.39V with your cpu at 4.3 is somewhat impressive. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. IMO I wouldn't increase the voltage any higher than it is though......
    Maelstrom says thanks.
  6. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Yea thats about right for that overclock...4.3 and 1.39 volts are about max for air cooling on that chip. plus its a CO and not a EO they run a bit cooler. Looks like a good overclock to me if its stable!!
    Maelstrom says thanks.
  7. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    Im using Realtemp with TJmax set to 100c
  8. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    Thx for the responses, it just seems odd that some people get lower temps with higher overclocks than I do....

Edit: sorry for double post was not thinking when I did that
  9. Squirrely

Squirrely

Thanks Received:
    That all depends on your chip's vid. If your chip has a higher vid, you need more voltage to get an equivalent overclock with a chip with a lower vid. About your temps, as everyone else has said, running a Wolfdale with 1.39v through it, those temps are expected.

Personally though I would keep it at around 4ghz, and lower the voltage. Your power consumption will be down, lower temps, and the chip should last longer, as you're right on the edge of that 1.4v rule.