1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Terraria

Discussion in 'Games' started by Conti027, May 22, 2011.

1. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    ^ man thats awesome. I'm guessing blood moons are a bad thing. Those friends of yours fight for you? Is that the main goal of the game then, To defend the blood moon attack?

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    No, the blood moon just happens sometimes. Bosses are the main point of the game.

3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Blood Moons aren't too bad once you got decent gear you can just stay outside at night, if you got crap gear, just put a block behind your door and afk for a bit. I wish there was a way to zoom out the screen, my castle is far too large for a screenshot now sadly :(

4. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Make screenshots of each section then, and GIMP or Photoshop them together. :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know if there is a way to start a dedicated Terraria server?

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I could, but I like my screenshots all hosted by Steam, all in one place is easy to find. But I might later just for fun.

I haven't ever really messed with servers much, so I'm not sure if you mean just a comp to run only Terraria. But I have my Hometheater PC as a Server. I use remote desktop to start Terraria, launch a server, then I join it as do all my friends. That way Steam doesn't show me playing Terraria 24/7. You just need to have Steam on that PC also, need to start it in offline mode, then fire up Terraria and you are set.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    That's not ideal but I suppose it would work. I was hoping for some commandline parameters or some such so it can run without a window or in the tray. It's gonna be at high risk of getting closed if it has to run in a Window all the time. Oh, and I hope there's a way to mute the audio...

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like hes working on that. Hoping to see a better server system in the next update. I just finished building a server for teamspeak/terraria/minecraft for my friends and I.

9. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Oh, need an option to change the port number too. I hate using default port numbers because it's too obvious to port scanners. I hope you're right that they are working on it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Right now they don't have a server client, there was on on the forums, but it was buggy and caused Goblin Armies constantly (I know because I tried it). They are working on making a server client, but for now you must just use the normal client. You won't have to worry about sound, as when you run a server it just shows the people playing on it and it doesn't actually enter the game. So if you are to host on your main comp, oyu actually need to open 2 Terraria's.

The game use to crash a bit before the most recent patch, but when 1.02v came out, since then my HTPC has been running it without being minimized for I think 5 days now with no issues. I just have Windows Midea Center running over the top and Terraria running behind it.

As far as port changing, I'm not sure, doubt it's possible now, but like I said they are working on a server client. The creators just made a post a few days ago on their forums about what they are working on, PvP content, other dimensions, Server Client are just a few of the things.

Also if you haven't hosted yet, I'm pretty sure you need Hamachi to host the way it sits. So anyone else thats wants to play with you will also need it. Here's a screenshot showing remote connection to the HTPC with it running the media server.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    So it uses more than just port 7777? Is that why you are using Hamachi? I can forward ports without a problem as long as I know what to forward.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I'm assuming it uses multiple ports. Me and a few friends tried without Hamachi and it wouldn't run. They had been playing before me and using Hamachi and said I needed it, so I just picked it up, haven't looked into it a ton.

13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    netstat -a

digibucc says thanks.
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    That won't do much good if it uses random ports once the handshake is performed. If they're using Hamachi, I assume that's what is happening.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    As of right now it uses port 7777 it use to use 31337 but they changed it. I've been running a server on my main computer for a few days and just moved it over to my server and I just use port forwarding on my router. Works great for me. I hate using hamachi.
    On his twitter he said he is making it so you can change the port number and have up to 255 players.
    Twitter "The upcoming Server software is coming along nicely. And it can change things like port number and max players (255!) as promised. +kick/ban"

16. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Awesome. I might have to wait a bit before exploring hosting options then.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I really like this game. trying to build Deep Space Nine lol

18. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    The 1.0.3 patch landed yesterday and the game now has it's own server client with a bit more flexibility. Here's the patch notes, I really wasn't expecting them to crank out a server client and so many other nice changes this fast, good sign.

And in celebration of resolution finally being added, I can now take a screenshot of my castle! Here's 2 screens to show the normal 800x600 vs 1920x1080.
    800x600
    [​IMG]

1920x1080
    [​IMG]

Yes my castles floors are uneven and theres torches everywhere. A friend dumped lava in my house and it bugged out the floor so I had to raise my whole castle by 1 brick to fix it, in the process of finalizing it now.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  19. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    The -config command doesn't seem to work on TerrariaServer.exe. I got it working though using the commandline parameters and didn't even have to install Steam on my server (just copied the program files from mine to the server). I love how you can connect/disconnect really quick and not have to wait for it to load/save.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    You won't need Steam to run the Server, but it will never update if you don't have Steam. Unless you copy your updated game folder from your gaming PC when it does update. I had to go online with my HTPC to update it today.

21. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's what I intend to do. I just have to remember to do it. XD

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Uh, anyone else get the arms dealer since 1.0.3? I got a musket in my inventory and have waited hours yet, he never appeared. I got all the other NPCs and 3 spare houses.

Edit: WTF? After posting this, he appears. XD

It might have been because I added two more houses. I now have 11 so that shouldn't have been the cause.

Edit: This is what we got so far:
    [​IMG]

There's a mushroom farm deeper down at at 500 feet below, there's a 80x60 boss fighting room (completely open with planks to get around fast and wooden walls so nothing spawns in it).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
    NinkobEi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Dang thats awesome too! I didnt realize you could build underground, but I guess you just have to hammer down the dirt walls first, huh.

Game is super addictive. It started out for me as just being something to play on the side, now I find myself talking about it during work. lol

24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    New world, new home:
    [​IMG]

This is a much more efficient design than the previous one in every regard.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    old one was cool as heck though. what is the purpose of the pool in your old one ? did you ever knock out that block and let it flood something