1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Terribly Jynxed! Is my hard drive failing?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Huxley2k7, May 16, 2008.

1. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Oh my god, thank god I'm here! The WEIRDEST thing happened to me, seriously!

So i got in this evening, came in and wacked on my computer. I've just spent the last 3 days downloading my 14GB Age of Conan client (MMORPG) at a stonking 45Kb/s ... Yeah, so it took a LONG time, and caused me a lot of hassle. So i got in, switched on my computer and walked out the room to have my dinner, saying casually to myself in my head ''Imagine if my hard drive failed or something''... So i get back to the room after my dinner to see the screen stuck at the Gigabyte logo screen during boot. 'Strange' i thought, so i reset, carried on doing something in my room, then looked at my screen... ''Disk Boot Failure - Press Enter to Continue''... :eek:

... I literally said ''No f**king way'' out loud to myself, jumped on and hit enter. Again, the same error, so i powered down, and back on again... Thank god i got on. I have a LOT of work on here that needs backing up.

So, I'm just wondering if that means my HD is on its way out or something? I only got this thing around Christmas time! :cry:

2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check your "Event Viewer" - "Error Logs" for more information. Should get an error number that you can Google to find the answer.

CP > Admin Options > Event Viewer > Error Logs > System or Applications.

4. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Thanks bud, downloading now will let you know how it goes.

Yep, i typed this in Google and most reports came up with either Windows Server issues, and/or application issues, nothing to do with the Hard-Drive. Will keep looking though...

5. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    =/ I know how you feel... I got a RAID last year and I was SO happy and stuff, but I kept my files backed up on my external.. Well, needless to say both hard disks got fried when a breaker popped... Sad world sometimes, eh?

Have you tried puttin the hard disk into another tower as a slave and running chkdsk on it?

6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Connect the drive to an odd channel, start the machine again. Let's say, the drive is connected to SATA port 1, connect it to 3, start the machine. (Unplug the machine then you do this). The OS should start and detect the drive again.

Use a free tool such as SpeedFan to check the SMART data. SpeedFan tells you if SMART reports that your drive is failing in detail. If the values show "Always passing" and/or "Value is normal", then your drive is healthy, another component is failing.

7. mon74

Thanks Received:
    I just had a similar issue with my dad's server with server 2003 sp2, one morning he called me & ask me why none could acces his database, so i went to his office and saw that the servers was with the same "disk boot error", i turned of the server, then power and boot just fine, to be sure i did ran a norton disk doctor and came up fine. two days later the hard drive died, fortunately, my dad makes daily backups... My advise is to backup all your sensible data and don't trust that hard drive to be 100% reliable.

8. mon74

Thanks Received:
    You can use this little porgram to read SMART data.;)

Attached Files:

• hddh.zip
      File size:
      897.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, well i ran both diagnostics, the SMART one and the extended one. Both came out fine. I haven't reset my computer since the error, i dont really want to! Hehe. I've defragged and scheduled a disk check, will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.

10. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    I'm having that too lately, it seems my hdd is going too? Or is it having troubles powering up and spinning? Sigh SMART test from SpeedFan suggests its A-ok, gonna try hd tune, I defrag every sunday and scan (sunday = maintenance day). Got my stuff backed up on external too.

11. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Well my old man has literally just spent the last 2 days recovering from a hard-drive failure as well. He thinks something is going round...