1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Testing the functionality of a desk

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by crazy pyro, Apr 16, 2009.

1. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    For my DT coursework I've been building a desk and I've just got onto the last objective which is evaluation, I'm having problems coming up with more than 3 different tests though.
    Here are the ones I've come up with:
    Place artificial loads/ weights on the desktop to simulate monitors, my desktop, my dad's desktop, me leaning against the desk, a printer and a laptop, I overestimated all of the values by 1-2 kilograms each to allow for upgrades or just changes in hardware (like the possibility of a water cooling loop in my PC, probably won't happen but just in-case, the other desktop's not staying long anyway so that's weight saved).
    Something to test how long cables need to be:
    Ball of string, take it from where the monitors would be, route it around the side of the desk to come up behind the PC cases, leave a fair bit of slack to allow for case/ monitor movement and prevent undue strain on the ports on my GPU.
    Comfort: Sit down at the desk and work on it for a bit, simple enough.
    I could also see if it fits in with the room I'll be using it in but that would require me to take it home and back to school which ain't gonna happen + I don't know where it's going anyway).
    I'm gonna need more than one page of A4 on this though so can any of you guys think of other tests I could use to find out the functionality of the desk?
    I'll probably have to acknowledge you in the folder as well but meh, if you want to be acknowledged go for it, if not your ideas are still welcome.
  2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    How easy it is too move

How easy it is to assemble if appropraite

Thermal performance for location of tower
    crazy pyro says thanks.
  3. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    How easy it is to fit a full computer inside ;)
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Don't put computers on the desk. I'm not doubting your building skills, however, what if the desk were to break and the computers fell? You would most likely get to go through the P.I.T.A. process of elimination to see what part broke, possibly heatsinks falling off and banging againt stuff in the case, in general just a lot of broken shit and a lot of money spent replacing it.

I suggest piling a bunch of non-breakable shit on it. Pile books, lifting weights, heavy toolboxes, whatever you can think of that can take the fall and not get hurt.
    crazy pyro says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    That second one is appropriate, problem is it's a pain in the arse to assemble.
    @Hat, I was planning on getting a bunch of stuff like that for the testing, not putting my PC on it, to test the thermal performance i may put a school computer on it, although they're horizontal rather than vertical cases, the PC shouldn't be against a wall anyway.
    I won't be keeping the computers on the desk most likely, only reason I'm saying they will be is so I can have extra tests.
    @Moonpig, I'm not meant to be fitting a computer to the desk, actually the desk's MEANT to be collapsible (not very component friendly right?), the collapsible part sort'a got screwed when the teacher decided to modify the design.
  6. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    haha ok. Forget that idea then... unless... lol.
  7. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps for A-Level, Although I'm honestly sick to death of desks right now, guess 90 odd pages of desks will do that to someone though.
  8. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    How comfortable is it to use everyday - get different sized people to sit at it all day (maybe with different sized seats as well)
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
    crazy pyro says thanks.
  9. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    ifits a collapasable desk how easy it is to assemble and how well it can be stored away when un-assembleded?
    crazy pyro says thanks.
  10. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Whats it made of? How does it effect the environment? Is it made out recycled wood or what?
    crazy pyro says thanks.
  11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I find that many desks are too f***ing low. My desk is 2'1" and it would be a super pain in the ass but thankfully my adjustable chair can sit really low to the ground. Some people like my uncle have retardedly desined chairs that sit miles above the ground so I would reccomend making the desk so that the surface of it is about 3' off the ground
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for that suggestion Oily, that comes under the comfort test. I won't have time to do that one (or any tests actually, I'm just talking bollocks for another page and a bit). The work's due in on monday and the frame's being powder coated so I can't assemble it and do any testing, the teacher basically told us to make it all up.
    Thanks for the suggestion on storage Ste2425.
  13. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Ah, how deep it is. You see with mine, i have to have the Monitor stand hang over about 5cm. Otherwise it pushed the Keyboard closer to my end of the desk and why i type/game, it makes my wrists rest on the edge of the desk... which is kinda painful.

I reckon 50cm+ is a good depth for a desk.
  14. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    The desktop's 1.6*1m, that's a size I've found to be comfortable for use before now.
    I reckon it's about 2.5' off the ground so that's OK, it's got little plastic feet on the bottom so if I need to make it higher i can just get ones with longer stems (should be fine for me though).
    It's made from Bright Drawn Mild Steel and MDF so it's recyclable-ish, I've not chopped down any trees for the MDF though :).
  15. Dice

Dice

Thanks Received:
    How durable is it- will it get scratched by moving heavy items around, will the surface get damaged if your water loop leeks onto it, how level is it- will you have a big pile of lost pens down the back?
    does it obsorb vibratons or will they get transferd to the floor in annoy the guy in the room below?
  16. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    elaberateing on the cooling thing will ur comp go in a draw on the side? how will your desk 'store' your comp are u just plonking it on the floor under your desk does it have a rack thing to mount it to the top of the desk but under neath or a cuboard thing? plus will it have storage for other things like games? or even a little slidy bit under the top of your desk to put away your keyboard and mouse, just elaberating on other things :D
  17. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    My dad'll be in the room below so third one doesn't matter
    It won't get scratched once the polish is applied (well, supposedly it won't.
    It's completely level as is the office it'll likely go in.
    If I do get a water loop probability is that I'll leave the rig on the floor.
    The Tower's going either under the desk after removing the boxes and crap that are there now, otherwise it's going above one of the supports on the desk.
  18. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for the suggestions guys, you've all been acknowledged under your forum names, if one of you happens to moderate GCSE DT coursework then Oh dear for me.
  19. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I assume it's level?
    crazy pyro says thanks.
  20. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you mean the desk yes, I'd be pretty screwed if it wasn't.
    If you mean the coursework being on the level then this is the only thing I've had any help with except for welding the project (if I took someone else's work I would be banned from a third of my exams).