1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

That Dodgy Intel Ivy Bridge DX11 'demo' at CES 2012

Discussion in 'News' started by qubit, Jan 10, 2012.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    That Dodgy Intel Ivy Bridge DX11 'demo' at CES 2012 (UPDATED)

Word has been flying round the internet about Intel's dodgy Ivy Bridge DX11 'demo'. Intel's Mooly Eden, VP, PC Client Group was attempting to demonstrate a racing game on a prototype laptop – 'ultrabook' - fitted with an upcoming 22 nm Ivy Bridge processor with a racing wheel attached and allegedly rendering DX11 graphics. However, as is very apparent at the start, it's actually a video, because the control panel for the free VLC video player pops up for a few seconds. Eden then 'drives' a car and after a few seconds puts up one hand and then the other, because as he says "they are driving it from backstage". However, there was no one driving the game "backstage", as it was just a video and Eden doesn't say anything about this at any point in the presentation.

This gives conspiracy theorists lots of ammunition, as perhaps the game was actually played on a high powered desktop PC with NVIDIA or AMD discrete graphics cards? What game was it? Eden doesn't say. "IB can't really do these graphics!" they cry and so on. Sure, man 'didn't' go to the moon, either... However, we believe that while yes, there was a bit of deception going on, it was nothing more than a white(ish) lie. Why? Because Ivy Bridge comes out in April and people aren't going to forget this demo. They will immediately put IBs DX11 graphics to the test with similar games and if it doesn't deliver, Intel will have a lot of egg on its face. Here's what Intel had to say about this demo in an official statement:

[​IMG]

Well, whether one takes this statement at face value or not, the internet arena is a very unforgiving place and people don't like to be lied to, so the criticisms and conspiracy theories have been coming thick and fast, hence the best policy is total honesty in any presentation. Eden should have simply explained at the start that he was going to play a video demo for time/practicality purposes and no one would have batted an eyelid – this is Intel after all, not some unheard of company with no reputation and people would trust what was being explained to them. Probably the best thing that Intel could do right now to fix the fallout, is to give a real DX11 demo with that racing game, like they should have in the first place.

Note that this demo was actually preceded by a real time Havok render of a troll, as reported by AnandTech, which looked rather impressive.

Below, we have two high quality (720p/1080p) YouTube videos of the racing demo event, from different perspectives, to allow the reader to judge for themselves. The first one is courtesy of our source, IGN and the second posted by Bright Side of News.

UPDATE

Intel later did show AnandTech Formula 1 2011 running on a different laptop:
    The notebook isn't the exact same one as used by Mooly Eden, but this alternative one certainly did show the game running on Intel HD Graphics 4000, which is what the embedded IGP in Ivy Bridge is called:

[​IMG]

Ivy Bridge engineering sample:

[​IMG]

And finally, a video of the demo itself:

And as you can see, it's playing it just fine. There will no doubt be some great laptops based on Ivy Bridge and is certainly something to look forward to.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Here's the thing though, why did Intel bother themselves to go trough all this trouble?
    They could have just said: "Ivy Bridge's GPU can render/run DX11 games in ultrabooks."
    Intel fanboys would be all like: "Oh yeah!" "Int3lz is the b35tz!!" "Take that AMD!"
    The rest of us: "We will patiently wait for benchmarks."

AMD fanboys would probably just take what they have now and use it.

3. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, right now I live about 15 min. away from Santa Clara in Mountain View.... I should go there during lunch and ask to play.

4. Vancha

Thanks Received:
    I'm fully willing to believe their new toy can play games that well, but that doesn't change the fact that this is still a very awkward, somewhat entertaining display of dishonesty. Hell, even if it had been convincing and we'd found out afterwards that it was a video I don't think it'd be getting as much attention as it is. It's only because the demonstration was such a metaphorical car crash from start to finish that this is spreading across the internet like wildfire.

5. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    He could have just been honest about it to start with, instead of only admitting after falling over himself.

I'm still likely to buy IB when it's out as I'm confident it will be a winner, just like most people; which poses the question, why even pretend he's playing a game in the first place?

6. mdbrotha03

Thanks Received:
    Anand playing the live demo here

theJesus says thanks.
  7. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    If I recall correct, Ivy Bridge is being made on a 22nm process, not 28nm like its being stated in the first part of the article.

Apart from that, good article!

Noone likes being lied to, especially when the stakes (apparently) are as high as they are for this product, and they shouldnt just be allowed to get away with it.

qubit says thanks.
  8. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    A-hem!

I would embed the vid but I don't know how...

Intel Ivy Bridge DX11 Demo - YouTube

... personally I couldn't give a rats about this 'fake' demo BS, I want to know more about what they're doing with the material from project Offset.

theJesus and Damn_Smooth say thanks.
  9. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    Men went to the moon?

:laugh:

LC

10. Moose

Moose New Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel make the best cpus, AMD make the best graphics and therefore the best fusion cpus.

11. jalex3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No demo would have been better than a fake. The racing wheel made it all the more epic.
    If they wanted to show a video, of the capabilities they should of said so. :shadedshu:wtf:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  12. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Either it can run it or it can't. This was a stupid idea on Intel's part. If isn't ready, pull an AMD and do paper launches. This just speaks that they are not confident in it. Now whether that is hardware related, or driver...still remains to be seen. My money would be on hardware, but you can't dismiss Intel's poor drivers either.

13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I love how he used VLC lmao!

If your really bothered by this then you have a problem, companies play games like this all the time (pun not intended).
    Proof will be in the pudding, sure its DX11 compatible but that doesnt mean it will run DX 11 games well does it? Im more interested in Ivy Bridge power usage.

14. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    Fixed

The video above says it can.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    theJesus says thanks.
  15. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    qubit says thanks.
  16. DigitalUK

DigitalUK New Member

Thanks Received:
    with the lag at the begining looks like it could bearly play the video let alone the game.

17. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    It's hilarious when people can't read past the first post. I'll post it again. Just for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    theJesus and qubit say thanks.
  18. DigitalUK

DigitalUK New Member

Thanks Received:
    i read all the posts ?? where did it say ivy bridge except in the title. the screen was white when he went to show the GPU that was running.

19. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    New meme time (no I'm not posting it - it's ban-juice :laugh:)

He said he was going to take a still at the end. I couldn't find it on Anandtech's site, but I only looked quickly. The uploader of the vid is someone from Anandtech.

20. DigitalUK

DigitalUK New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think this is the link

theJesus says thanks.
  21. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
  22. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    VLC popup??? Didn't they planned, i mean, A BIT MORE :laugh:

23. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I guess Intel have not figured out how to make the drivers for the game properly by the DEMO deadline.

As long as what they showed is what the promise it is going to be then I do not see any issue with this.

Besides having trouble meeting the deadline.

24. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Mistakes happen at conventions all the time. I do think Intel should have clarified it was a video from the beginning and explained the whole time constraints thing. They clearly tried to be a little deceptive which is just wrong...

25. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    the anandtech demo only featured 1 race car instead of actual race with multiple cars '__'