1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The AMD Phenom II OC'ers Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by ShadowFold, Dec 22, 2008.

1. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    haha
    no one asked,and i am pretty sure i didnt mention it a few pages back anyway.

i am merely trying to help people reap the benefits of nb overclocking instead of focusing purely on cpu speed,without coming across boasty,chiller etc you know?

the only reason i even beguin to use a chiller was to shut up the 470s as they are loud and hot
    the overclocking was an added benefit as i didnt even realise the 945 could be overclocked until i tried.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not a problem. North bridge overclocking on Phenom II's is quite important. Even more so if you are using more than one video card. It's pretty much the largest bottleneck in an AMD system.

3. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    the most noticeable thing for me was boot times,pretty much chopped in half!
    and loading stuff/gaming etc,then i realised i was getting more fps in the ingame benches so i thought maybe i should let other people know.

It doesnt make sense why you can get 4 way sli amd mobos when the ht is such a huge bottleneck,but then enither does having use of 5200mhz throughput then dividing it in half so one lane may be under used and the other lane choking under the strain!

Hopefully bulldozer rectifies these issues,the inital benches i have seen (hopefully honest ones!) look quite promising.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what I'm hoping for as well. The North Bridge is basically the integrated memory controller inside the CPU and this is why I want to try Bulldozer on my CHIV as I really don't think the mobo will limit Bulldozer much at all. But I digress, the IMC on Phenom II is quite poor compared to the competition. North Bridge (IMC) frequency neeeds to be at least double that of the memory frequency for the RAM to "breathe". That means for 1600mhz RAM one should have at least 3200mhz NB. That's not an easy feat with most AM3 CPU's. Some IMC's don't like going over 2800mhz with any kind of voltage. My 965BE had to have 1.4v for 3000mhz. My 1100T will do 3200mhz at 1.24v.. which I love, but realistically it still isn't good enough. If you're getting 3750mhz with your NB, it's an amazing chip if you can hit that at 22c. What voltage are you using on the NB at that frequency?

5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    12C is not cold enough to allow that high of a NB

you are wrong. trust me its -8C here right now. how many watts is the chiller how big the loop etc.

think i am full of it run AID64 and watch as you don't even beat chips pushing 2800

6. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    ^this is a waste of time and energy,you claim something now go back an re-read what i have said,everything you ask is already there and i show you exactly what it is,its boring and pointless.
    did i wake a troll or something.
    FWIW though i previously stated the chiller isnt necesary today,its a 5800 btu portable A/C unit that cost a hefty £10 via ebay,thats good for 1.7kw pull down i am told.
    plenty for a pair of 300w TDP fermi's and a 95w stock/140w(guess) OC processor.

Though of course you already know that going below 7c chillers decreases efficiency quickly,with mine -31c off load and +6c under heavy load and 1.6v searching out the next elusive speed increase isnt out of the question.

You do realise each chip has different traits and that you couldn't guarantee 4.5 ghz with the same chips on the same wafer.

I am tired of this trolling,you aren't backing up your opinions with facts so how are you expecting to convince me that my fact is fiction and your statement is truth?

Are you confusing HT with HT LINK?

Also i got over 3000 NB with the standard cooler using a budget msi 61m2 board which was weak at best.

Your argument doesn't make sense does it really?

ERocker:1.22v for NB overclock.
    Apparently the Asus mobos will support Bulldozer with a bios update but with some features disabled(thats Asus word on the subject),but AMD are claiming no backwards compatibility.

I have seen so far 2 am3B mobo's that both use the 890fx chipset,these claim compatibility even silkscreening on the board stating so-but time will tell.
    I am waiting on the ch4e to come down in price then i will grab one-just because the all in one waterblock looks so good!
    I understand the AMD chipset is better for overclocking too.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    hey go read some of my older posts i would hazard to bet very few people on this forum can out clock me with the same chip board etc. you DO NOT have low enough temps to allow that high of a NB clock i know what HT and HT link are i am one of the first people to have gotten 7ghz effective on one

[​IMG]

that chip is also pushing 3.5ghz on the NB at -70C your cheap chiller is not enough cooling to drop that chip far enough down to allow a 3700mhz NB clck especially at 1.22v go run AID64 its all of a 10sec benchmark and it will show you how wrong you really are.

8. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    Oh its willy waving,i was wondering what drove you to convince me im wrong,come on man are you here to help people or get e-peen...

9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    post AID64 screenshots its pretty damn simple if you want willy waving i have much better screenshots than that. its a simple ass test that shows what your actual northbridge is at.

10. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    im not going to feed you any more :)

11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    why because you are incorrect? did you run AID64 and get low ass numbers?

weird maybe i am correct i mean its not like i have had every major AMD release since phenom came out. i obviously don't know what i am talking about shit its not like my ES chips shipped from AMD were posting at 5ghz before you realized what overclocking was.

12. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    ok so you have this and you have that,you have stared at many screens looking for ever diminishing returns,are you capable of being wrong,ever?
    you must know wafer yields vary?have you had EVERY chip off every wafer?
    come man stop and breathe abit,there is fail all over your argument.

FWIW i had an ES 754 3700 that wouldnt give anything over its rating and would boot at 200x4,tiring at best-i got rid of it and got a standard chip that overclocked better.
    plus games wouldnt run it because it didnt have a specific frequency,pain in the ass truth be told.

13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    why wont you simply post one damn benchmark? i know wafer yields vary however there is not a single AMD Phenom product that has hit that high of NB clock on that low voltage and that high of a temp do some damn research before spouting off about respected members being trolls. also i could care less about your ancient ES chip times have changed since then.

14. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think at this point, you two can agree at least to disagree and move on, the argument/discussion is going nowhere, anymore unpleasantness will result in the same...... sometimes you just get to that point where brick walls don't move.

Athlonite says thanks.
  15. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i also doubt that, and will only believe it, when i see benches... 3700 is more than unrealistic..
    and CDA is one of the most respected,able PH2 OCers in this Forums... he doesnt needs to make himself a name, he already has one ;)

cdawall says thanks.
  16. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    BACK ON TRACK..... I still cant even get my bus over 215... even with ram lowered. what else would be making my buss so shitty? btw im new to bus ocing and nb lol so meh if u think im noob. and is nb more inportant then bus clock?:confused:

p.s. i was running test drive unlimited 2 and was asked to help in a 5v5 scrim in css. Mid agme i looked over and was like WHY IS MY CPU LOADED SO MUCH then I found out test drive was still running. lol nb oc mady my pc alot better.:D:D

17. crunchie

crunchie New Member

Thanks Received:
    My 940BE is 1800Mhz stock HT and cpu-nb.

18. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    while this discussion seems to have stopped (and i'm glad it has, its a waste of time) i want to say this.

If you want to claim you've achieved something, post screenshots for proof, and from alternate programs if you're asked to do so. Otherwise, no one will believe you, and you look like the troll.

19. crunchie

crunchie New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1. The onus is always on the person making the claim, to actually back that claim up with proof.

Velvet Wafer says thanks.
  20. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can try slightly bumping your HT volts just a bit as since the bus speed is higher so is your HT. If you give it a notch or two and it doesn't help then we'll have to look into something.

Sorry I'm missing something here, I haven't overclocked in so long it' shard to remember all possible settings to tweak in the BIOS off the top of my head.

21. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    mine runs quite nicely at 2300 nb/HT @ 1.4V and 3.41GHz core @ 1.365V max volts without water I wouldn't go above 1.5V

22. YautjaLord

YautjaLord

Thanks Received:
    While i still @ it & reading this post : my 965BE lately comes way too close to 60C (load), probably due to fact that i didn't applied ChillFactorIII thermal paste correctly, but before i'll have all the parts necessary to install VenomousX here's what i got : 200MHz clock x19.5 multi vCore @ 1.3875v. VDDA @ 2.50v. I still use stock AMD's HSF, plus completely removed the stock HSF's thermal compound & applied CFIII. Runs everything without hickup or any freezes for that matter. Though i enabled C'n'Q & C1E is long time enabled as well.

P.S. RAM relaxing ? :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    Jack Doph says thanks.
  23. bbmarley

Thanks Received:
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  24. YautjaLord

YautjaLord

Thanks Received:
    On April 10 gonna buy following : custom 3-pin to 4-pin PWM cable & retention mount for Socket AM3 for VenomousX from SideWinderComputers, 2 Scythe Slip Stream Jyuni's 120x120x12mm fans from local PC store. Question : SideWinder says it supports shipping to Israel (thank god), although they ask 25$ for shipping, but what i wanna know is - how long will it take to ship from them to Israel ? Much appreciated.

25. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, that's a good question that I would think they will need to answer. If I had to give a rough estimate I would say 2-3 weeks?

YautjaLord says thanks.