1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The ASUS P45 Owner's Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by alexp999, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    If you could look that up it'll be great. I have noticed that i set mine to 1.5 (lowest) which i forgot about, can increases to this help instead of vcore? I've never really played around with them usually set auto.
    Also does it affect heat much?
  2. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    PLL voltage doesn't really help me at all, so I just leave it at auto. FSB termination voltage helps me though.
  3. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Q9550 ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

All temps are whilst folding. Gunna try for lower volts soon. Then maybe 8.5 x 450 :D
  4. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
  5. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    Nice Moon, I'd love to play with a quad but a dualie is all i need (for now).
    I haven't really seen too many 9550's on tpu so it'll be nice to see what you can do with her.
    Are all 9550's E0 stepping or is it recent like the 8 series?
    And what is it with cpu-z validator never showing voltages, why do they do it? Annoyingly it really irritates me :banghead:
  6. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    now it's time for you to hit 4GHz
  7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Heres a pic of my voltages for ya Ace80
    [​IMG]
    ace80 says thanks.
  8. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    WTF of all people you should know not to leave your PLL at auto, it overvolts like crazy.

I am using a P5Q D. What audio driver have you guys been using?
  9. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    afaik, the Asus P5Qs dont overvolt, which is why most people leave most voltages on auto.

Gone are days of crazy auto overvolting :)
  10. etrigan420

etrigan420

Thanks Received:
    I think *all* of my volts are auto...:twitch:

That's the great thing about these boards, they cater to the hardcore guys that like to set everything manually, but they don't die off when idiots like me get a hold of 'em, leave everything on auto, and *still* push a 1GHz OC. :rockout:
  11. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've heard a few reports of P5Qs overvolting the PLL and VTT on auto but I don't own a DMM so I can't verify this myself. Either way it's easy enough to set your voltages while overclocking, imo. Just to be on the safe side.
  12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Search on XS forum,i think they do overvolt on auto.
  13. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just did and found quite a few reports.

Link

Those types of results have been verified by several users as well. What makes thing worse is that I also find the stock chipset cooling on the P5Q D to be sub-par to put it mildly.
  14. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    D as in Deluxe? I have great temps on my NB, and one reason I bought the Asus P5Q is cus they dont overvolt and are good on auto up to 400 FSB.

Whats with all the hate :(
  15. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love my board but I had to replace the chipset cooling with some Enzotech sinks. I didn't trust the aluminum foil that they call fins. At full load I could put my finger on the heatpipes going to the mosfet sink and they would be cool while the base on the northbridge sink as well as the heatpipe going to the southbridge were hot. There is also no way to accurately check the NB temps, I don't even know where that motherboard sensor is exactly.

I just wanted to point out that this board does overvolt some settings on auto since I don't want anyone taking that advice to heart, no offence. It's not a big deal like I said it's easy enough to just set your voltages manually. From what I hear the beloved Gigabyte UD3 is just as bad with the overvolting on Auto.

I love my board and have been running a quad with 8gb of ram nice and stable for quite a while now.
  16. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    Cheers tigger, I take it thats your 4ghz setup? If so then you should be able to bring the cpu level down to 9 easily.
    Unfortunatly like Ket PLL doesn't seem to do much for me, over the last couple of days i've tried a range of speeds and voltages that i know weren't quite stable, varying the PLL volts upto 1.6v with no noticable difference. Maybe it might have more of an impact when shooting for the high end oc's.
    Is there a reason you have LLC disabled, mine droops horribly without it.

As for auto settings, well, because there are no sensors on this board i couldn't say for sure if it overvolted, but i do know if i put in a mildly high oc on auto then things get a little toasty to the touch. Especially vcore that just gets a bit silly.

I forget what the last option is but there's a choice between Optimized, Performance and Compatible for the cpu. Mine has always stayed on default of Optimized. Just wondering if anyone's checked this out got any feedback.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  17. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    You wont need to touch your PLL unless you are shooting for really high clocks. If your vNB, VCC, or VTT is too close to your PLL it will cause cross talk. Now leaving it at auto tends to leave your PLL at 1.7+ which is much more than nessesary for most 24/7 stable clocks. I leave my PLL at 1.56v since I have been told that 1.52 and 1.54 can overvolt on this board as well for some odd reason, I'm not sure if that is with every bios revision. Belive it or not you want your PLL at a certain range from your VTT or VCC, I forget since I don't have a need for insanely high clocks, so having a high PLL is not dangerous if it is balanced properly. All I know is that if all of your volts are less than 1.4v and your PLL is over 1.7v that is not properly balanced and is kind of dangerous. It's easy enough to set it to 1.56 unless like I said your VCC, VTT, or vNB are set to around 1.45ish and you are grtting some crosstalk. I'm no electrical engineer so that is my understanding of what little I have read on the subject.

I only disable loadline since I'm only running a 425 fsb. I'm one of those people that belives that a higher idle voltage is safer than the voltage spikes from loadline, but that is very debateable. My vdroop is huge don't get me wrong but I feel comfortable with my VCC, tbh.

That last option, I forget what it's called myself, no one seems to know exactly what it does. Asus has never even mentioned what it does but the general concencous is to leave it at Optimized. I would love to know what the heck it is myself.
  18. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    I defected to the Green side (AMD)

She now has my P5Q Pro/E8500 with my old Xiggy. :laugh:

I couldnt resist this 945ES any longer...plus the two 16x PCI-e slots (4 all together) really decided it for me and I get to play with my loop some more this way.
  19. etrigan420

etrigan420

Thanks Received:
    Gah, this should be easy, but it's kickin' my ass... :shadedshu

I installed a Musashi on one of my 4850's, and as such, had to remove my X-Fi (Capacitor on X-Fi and mounting screw on Musashi wouldn't play nice enough for it to go into the top PCI slot, the heat sink itself wouldn't allow the X-Fi to fit into the bottom PCI slot).

ANYWHO...I'm trying to get the onboard sound to work, and for some reason, Windows 7 thinks that my z-560's are not plugged in. It recognizes, and has installed drivers for, the HD controller itself (so yes, it's enabled), but no matter what I do it wont see the speakers as "Connected".

Grateful for any guidance!
  20. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to know what you think coming from a P45. Which board did you pick up?
  21. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    P45 boards clock like crazy, but the sheer power of this AMD setup is mind blowing....Windows boots in less than 10 seconds and that includes the POST screen, you wont get that with a E8500. :laugh:

The board I have is in SysSpecs (its always updated) but its a ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe and what a great board at that. :)
  22. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I don't need to mess with PLL voltages, my A3 revision P5Q Pro doesn't have those issues like A1 and A2 revisions did :D On another note I have a itchy cash finger.. thinking about snapping up a Q8400 for £140 inc. postage. From what I know the Q8400s are good chips, OC to about 4GHz and most results I look at show the Q8400 being faster in most tests than the Q9400 - more cache is not always better ;)

What you guys think? Satisfy my itchy cash finger?
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  23. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    I'd say the Q6700 - x10 mutli :D
  24. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Its TDP is also much higher, its 65nm not 45nm, and it won't OC as well or at least stay as cool :p On a unrelated not Check this out. Its a pretty cool documentary on Mars.
  25. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Specs are pretty identical ket except the Q9400 has 2mb more cache. I'd go with that since the multi's are the same.