1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

the begining of my notso happy holloween

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lilkiduno, Oct 31, 2009.

1. lilkiduno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I spent the night at a friend’s house after playing video games until 2 am this morning... wake up drink a monster... my day was going grand, that is until I get home at noon... I walk into the door to my sister telling me I am not going to be happy. I was like ok, what happened... oh someone scratched you monitor... ok whatever I am thinking it's the monitor in the living room, and it's just a small scratch somewhere.... boy was I wrong.... this was not just a scratch... and it was not on the monitor in the living room. This is 800 grit sandpaper scratches all over my 24 inch Acer monitor I game on....

So if any one knows any way of reducing the scratches or anything that would help plz don't be shy.... help a brotha out!

PS... i really do not care about my grammer right now
  2. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    oooo man i feel your pain how did it happen though?
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  3. MomentoMoir

MomentoMoir New Member

Thanks Received:
    dude that fucking sucks balls! Do you know who did it
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  4. lilkiduno New Member

Thanks Received:
    my 5 year old little sister desided she'd do it, why. i don't know... but i guess thats what happens whgen i stay the night somewhere... first time in YEARS, and this just had to happen :[
  5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i know you said she is only 5 but why would she do that?
    that is pretty depressing i dont think anything can be done to the monitor except RMA and if need be pay for a new panel unfortunately

and get your parents to pay for it since your sister scratched it up, i mean after all your parents should not let her do that! they are responsible for her also
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  6. MomentoMoir

MomentoMoir New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe she was pissed at you

but dude really that sucks sorry to hear that such a shame:shadedshu
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  7. lilkiduno New Member

Thanks Received:
    it still works so I will not RPMA it nor make my parents pay for it, I mean yeah it fucking sucks. But it still works and Bills are really don't pay for them selfs... but it looks like I might have a reason to spend some money now... i just have to talk myself into it... i am a tight wad with my own cash... it's just because i don't have a stable job :cry:
  8. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I know enough that a small kid would no not to do that for no reason or maybe it was just by accident but hardly sounds like it.
    GENTLY and Forgivingly ask her why she did that (no point punishing her now because you cant undo the damage), maybe it was for no reason spur of the moment or maybe she deliberately knew it would scratch it up, possibly playing clean up and thought it would clean it? i dunno ask your sister or someone FIRST before even thinking about talking to your 5 year old sister.

5 is pretty young but its a sensible age for example drink the bleach i think they are well past that age for example

Oh okay you made it sound like the WHOLE screen was fucked up badly, like it messed up being able to see the screen properly.

Just buy a new one and sell that one here on TPU (or another forum of your choice) or ebay it spares/repairs or just as slight damage. The cheapest option and most sensible is to either buy new screen or get panel repaired by manufacturer.
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  9. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    The only thing i can think of if its really completely fubar is a few light coats of some clear low gloss spray paint i use it to make scratches dissipate on my lexan rc body's tho i don't know how it will interact with an lcd screen.
    I would only use it as a last resort tho maybe some of that eye glass scratch repair stuff would help.
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    maybe but we need someone who has experience of this sort of damage and unfortunately im not your man for that
    the screen works so we dont wanna melt it with chemical reactions or blur it up even more

i would try those 2 tips tho but i wouldnt feel brave doing it
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  11. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    pictures please :D
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  12. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    it all depends how bad the damage is if you can live with it and ignor it then why risk doing anymore damage if you crnt then try to rma im sure theres bound to be some on tpu with the skill to be able to fix it an i doubt they'd charge for this, i no i wouldnt if i could fix it ask around man
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  13. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to here you got the trick and not the treat this Halloween. :( I have seen this stuff at local glass and motorcycle shops. I would give it a try. It's a 3 step deal. http://www.bestplasticcleaner.com/
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  14. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man, am i lucky i have no brothers or sisters.
    would have sliced them into pieces with my sword,long time ago,erm:D
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  15. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    woke up this mornin

little fuckers egged my car, and like 6 other cars on my block alone, took 3 hours and 2 trips to the car wash to clean.

that sucks for your monitor though, it really sucks
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    send it off for refinishing. or you can use a much higher grit sandpaper and polish, but your results will be mediocre, and the fact is that pressure on a LCD can permanently damage the crystals.
    lilkiduno says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  18. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    LoL I need a bottle for the taillights on my car... wonder if you can get anything like it in Australia.

Sucks real bad to hear about the kid doing that to the screen, I'm not sure if I couldhave contained my rage over something like that happening, kids really should know what things to be gentle with (and not sandpaper) by age 5.
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  19. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man that's terrible!

If a child done that to my screen I'd probably explode as there's nothing could do!

Cept maybe scratch up some of their stuff :p
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  20. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Child Abuse? lol no dont go hitting or shouting at anyone as i said no point its done now.

For a laugh i imagined myself sanding up a kiddies chalkboard/paintboard or bicycle then i thought how immature that would be in real life, at first it sounded like something you'd see in family guy lol, like Peter scratching up Stewies trike for spilling his beer or something!
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  21. enzolt New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow..its a 5 year old child...come on now act your age.

its more than likely an accident as 5 year olds tend to do the most random stuff.

still sucks though, best wishes regardless.
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  22. BobBarr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn dude that really sucks. I know how it is not being home one night in a year and coming home and everything is f'ed up. But I can't see a 5 year old getting ahold of sandpaper and doing that. But little siblings can be a hassle. My little bro poured a whole cup of water into the top of my Antec 900....so yea I know how you feel.

Could you have possibly pissed your parents off and they did it to you? My mom and dad steal my keyboard and stuff sometimes to play jokes on me for example. >.>
    lilkiduno says thanks.
  23. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Ouch, that's terrible. My 22" Dell LC is already slightly damaged (bright spot in one corner + 2 slight scratches), but I'd be tempted to kill my sibling if they did that to my monitor. Both of my siblings know how much I care about my computer stuff, when my sister damaged one of my computer parts I gave her hell for it, so I doubt that anything like that would happen to me.
    lilkiduno says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Kids love me man :laugh:

I tend to find they love adults or older people then themselves acting childishly :laugh:

I wouldn't actually scratch a childs stuff by the by, I would how ever pretend to do it mind you :laugh:

Get them worried!

he he
  25. djb710 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not positive, but isn't the first layer on a monitor just a protective sheet of plastic or a piece of glass?