1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The BEST game story ever

Discussion in 'Games' started by TAViX, Dec 25, 2010.

1. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    PC Picks

Overall - Bioshock
    FPS - Half Life
    RTS - Star Craft
    RPG - Mass Effect/Knights of the old Republic

Console picks.

Overall - Metroid
    Shooter - Halo/Breakdown
    Adventure - Zelda: Ocarina of time.
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  2. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Day of the tentacle was awsome. one of the best game stories i know of. The fallout series have good stories, although are non-linear, so i don't know if those count.
  3. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    Dont say that, I was 6 y.o. in 2000, and I had already played Descent 3(still have the dusty box somewhere around .... nostalgia), 2001 and 2001 I played Deus Ex, and the Longest Journey...
  4. TAViX Guest

Hehe, how can you understand a complex story like the one in DeusEx at 7 years old ????:roll::roll::D
  5. horik

horik

Thanks Received:
    zelda ocarina of time
  6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    TPS: Mafia
    RTS: Ground Control II
    Adventure: Beyond Good & Evil

Those are the only three truly exceptional games that come to mind and both have it all: voice acting, plot elements, good gamplay mechanics, lots of variety in the missions, etc.

Deus Ex was revolutionary for the day it was released but the story never stood out as exceptional to me.

Games that deserve mention:
    -Mass Effect - It wasn't a "save the world" plot, it was a "save the galaxy" plot. It has relatable characters, lots of variety, and a real, obvious antagonist. Note: This does not include Mass Effect 2. ME2 was average at best.
    -The Witcher - A killing machine with amnesia that ultimately saves the king and then someone tries to assasinate the assassin. It's a riviting story.
    -Dragon Age: Origins - The depth and complexity of the main story and the sub-stories for all the characters is simply massive. It really sucks you in and you feel committed to the cause of the Grey Wardens.
    -Syphon Filter - The series covers just about everything from betrayal to stopping terrorist plots. I haven't played the newer ones though so this is based on 1-3.
    -Earth 2150 - Earth is going to burn and shit has to happen first or everyone perishes. The interactions between the three factions are well thought out and the premise is one humanity may ultimately have to face. The trilogy expands the concept to cover virtually the entire theoretical subject (people being left behind and some fleeing to the moon which will eventually burn as well).
    -Fable: The Lost Chapters - A lot of the quests are pretty generic but the story of Jack of Blades, the Hero, the Sister, and the Mother is an interesting one. There's lots of plot twists that keep it interesting (like finding your mother then being imprisioned).
    -The Elder Scrolls series - Shivering Isles especially stands out with the story of the Mad God.
    -Alpha Protocol - Wow, just wow. The only reason why this wasn't listed above is because parts of Mafia develops a more emotional attachment to the characters than Alpha Protocol. Alpha Protocol is like one of those "choose your path books." The story, by itself is good but they take it to the next level by offering so many choices.
    -Metal Gear Solid - Solidus, Liquid Snake, and Solid Snake wrapped around an espionage/tactical game. Like the other games of this list, it has it all.
    -The Legend of Spyro series - The games really aren't that great gameplay wise but the story, direction, and voice acting are spot on.
    -Assassin's Creed II - I really didn't expect it to turn into a 2012 theory. The only thing it is missing is romance.
    -Batman: Arkham Asylum - I liked the twist on the old fashioned Batman plot. Of course, Batman vs the Riddler was obvious for the finale but to what end was unexpected.
    -Saints Row II - It has it all from taking over a city to losing close friends. The only thing it is missing is romance but the main character doesn't come across as that type.
    -Hitman series - You have to play the entire series to grasp the entire plot. That is the bad part about it. The good part is that it is definitely worth it.
    -Overlord series - Too many little sub-plots to list them all. The ending is unexpected and it nicely carries over into the sequel.
    -Prototype - Crazy idea where the antagonist is a form of a virus. Learning background information by absorbing others keeps me going.
    -S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - A completely unique take on the events of the Chernobyl NPP disaster. It's very creative and has a lot of twists and turns. The finale of the first one will always make players think.
    -Thief: Deadly Shadows - The writing for the Pagans, Hammerites, and Order is exceptional. It all comes together in a plot that keeps me guessing who really is the enemy.
    -Total Overdose - Double crossed by a crooked cop, nuff' said.
    -XIII - Amnesia again but this time, you are who everyone tells you are and your motivations are your own, even when you realize you are not who they say you are. Confused? Play the game.
    -X series - You unintentionally leave Earth and spend three games learning the ways of a completely alien universe ultimately to become a member of that universe. Eventually, you find your way back to Earth and Earth isn't exactly welcoming. Mix in the Xenon and the Kha'ak and you got yourself a story.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    kurosagi01 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Kovoet

Kovoet

Thanks Received:
    I liked Wing Commander IV and The Privateer
  8. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Neverwinter Nights
    Suikoden 1 & 2 (2 especially so)
    Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  9. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    i think i just kept playing it, i was dumb then yea, maybe a month on the same game was common(did about 30 mins per day, rest of the day tried downloading on my dial-up at 3-4KB/s speed LOLLets)
  10. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most RPG games?
  11. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    I would have to go with both Assassin Creed games. What I like about their story is I've learnt a bit of history from just playing them and in terms of gameplay I've seen quite a bit of evolution from the first game going to the second one.

My main reason for liking the Assassin's Creed story is that unlike most games the story kept getting better rather than decaying which would usually be the case and with the history part you can almost see it for what it is yourself instead of having to rely on text and images to get the sense of what things were like such as what the architecture was like during those times.

I would like to get the third one when it comes out on PC since I would like to see the story continue and see the new architecture in the best possible quality.
  12. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting comment. I have both games but have not played them yet, but all the reviews I've seen say ME2 is the superior of the two.
  13. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    One of the best imo would definitely be the Half-Life series. It really took a twist on the whole ''aliens are taking over'' type storyline that we tend to find so generic and abundant in games like Gears of War where you're some sort of special ops group that needs to save the world.
  14. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    Never listen to reviews, critics aren't real gamers.:toast:
    yogurt_21, AltecV1 and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  15. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    ME1 was more like true RPG -really much exploration, but ME2 is a little different, more like shooter, but still great. Both are great;).
  16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    As you said Deus Ex so NWN1 had\s a good story to it.
  17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't follow the dialogs with all the names that sounded the same. The plot was basically unfollowable because of that. They addressed that problem to a large degree in Assassin's Creed II; however, I couldn't tell you the name of the main antagonist but I do remember the name of the protagonist (Ezio). That is still an area they need to work a lot on.

I can't see why. ME is superior for many reasons: Renegade actually meant something, there's no finicky cover system, exploring the ground was less redundant than mining for minerals, there were lots of weapons to choose from and they made a huge difference, weapons were customizable by mounting mods (not upgrades that feel like they make no difference), Shepherd doesn't die, the plot was simple at first and it wasn't until the very end that you realized things aren't so simple, when you were forced to make decisions, they were never easy, your interactions with the council are entertaining, etc.

There's some areas where ME was weak. For example, they recycled the same four basic structures over and over (warehouse, cave, space ship and underground bunker). It can also get a little borning driving in the rover for a long time and coming up with nothing (this could have been addressed by adding more entities to the ground). Those areas of weakness were extremely minor.

ME2 is basically a drowned out ME (characters are simpiler, items are virtually non-existant, weapons are extremely simplified, all maps are substantially smaller, etc.) One of my greatest beefs is conversations with crew members have been condensened into just a few conversations with limited outcomes. With only 6 members of the original crew, you really got to know all members very well. The extra members in ME2 takes far more away than it adds. For example, I can't name one scenario where you end up killing or abandoning a crew member in ME2. In ME, that can happen, not once, but twice.

In the end, it feels like ME2 problems can be sumbed up with two words: cramming (fit as much content into ME2--the go between between story intro: ME, and the conclusion: ME3), consolitis (small maps, simplified controls, etc.).

I've beat ME at least 6 times. I've beat ME2 at least 3 times. I wouldn't mind playing ME again. ME2, not so much. So far, the only things I liked about ME2 were visiting the Flotilla and the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC. Note how both of those involved one of the main charaters from ME in a major way. That should be major hint about the failures of ME2.

Yup, they're journalists first. :toast:
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. TAViX Guest

100% agree with that.
    And I think the same is for the movies, and especially that Rotten Tomato pure crap. :banghead:
  19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

I honestly can't say which one I like more. I do like the weapon/armor customization in ME1 over 2.. obviously, though I just finished ME2 and enjoyed it immensly. I'm now installing ME1 again to play it again since it's been well over a year. I suppose I'll come to a conclusion then. Either way the main story from both games has me hooked and I cannot wait for ME3.
  20. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    LOL, my answer is the same I always say for the best in anything for a game. Badur's Gate II. The story line was deep and incredible. IWDII and Kotor also have strong story lines. It has been a long time, but I am thinking I liked Kotor II beter.
  21. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    on TPS and RPG side i have to say mass effect 1 or dragon age: origins . the main story line in mass effect 2 pissed me off because of the stupid shit mentioned here http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=7004. on the FPS side.....well i guess there is only one game that comes to mind as having a GOOD story and that is the half life series .lets see ...ah on the RTS side i have to say (and i know alot of people will disagree with me) starcraft 2 ,that game has a pretty impressive story line and characters for a RTS :).
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  22. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    Well for me AC1 was better than AC2! I believe this has everything to do with the fact that I speak Arabic and the story takes place in Syrian and Palestinian (middle-eastern) cities in an important historical period. It really had so much religious and ideological depth to the conversations, unlike AC2. Whether you know it or not, AC1 even had sentences taken from the Quran (the Muslims' holy book) with the inclusion of many historical Muslim leaders and crusaders. AC2 covers a period (the renaissance) that I'm not familiar with, so I think I feel about it the same way you feel about AC1. :)
  23. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Drew Karpyshyn wrote the story for the original Mass Effect which I thought was better. he is now penning Star Wars: The Old Republic
  24. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    1.FF13
    2.Chronicles of white knight
    3.heavy rain
    Lionheart says thanks.
  25. @RaXxaa@ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gta SanAndreas/Darkwatch/BF:BadComapny 1/Assasins creed/Driver4 Pararell lines
    God OF War Series/Hitman Blood Money/Prince of Persia Series(Ps2)/
    Sprinter Cell Series Especially Double agent(Ps2). I YET HAVE TO COMPLETE HL2

My personal Prefrence