1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The completely unofficial photo contest discussion

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Kreij, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Awhile back, Triprift and I were contemplating having a photo contest with prizes.
    At the time the "post your photos" thread in GN was realy active and there were many outstanding photgraphers.

Here is what we started with ...
    1) Anyone who was interested in donating something as a prize could do so.
    2) Each contestant could enter only one photo for submission.
    3) Prize donators, could not compete.

Here were the problems ...
    1) How could we ensure that the photo was actually taken by the TPU member.
    2) It seemed weak that a donator could not win some other prize for an excellent photo. How could we make this not seem unfair or biased.
    3) Who would judge the winning entries. Obviously the judges could not have entries in the contest.
    4) How to collect and distribute the prizes. Who pays for shipping? Seems kind of lame if you win a contest and have to pay for shipping.

I would really enjoy making a contest like this, and when I asked W1zz he just made it a point to make sure people knew that it was not a "TPU" contest.

Comments and suggestion are appreciated. I am not sure if this is a viable contest or not give the above problems.
  2. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    In regards to number 1 id say the contestant would put there name and the date the photo was taken on and maybe details about what settings were used. This contest can be viable if we can come up with a clear set of rules so ppl lets hear ya suggestions. Me and kreij will be very appreciative for any feedback thanks ....Trip.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If a donation was made anonymously could someone enter? Perhaps the person who donates a prize could donate the shipping too. As far as proof of the photo, most of it I guess would be based off of good faith, however Trips idea of settings used is a good one, plus add in the make and model of the camera. Perhaps after the time to take pics is over, the thread could be closed and a new thread started for voting.:toast:
  4. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    That would actually be kinda fun! I just bought a new camera and would LOVE to try it out some more :)
  5. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good to me erocker keep em coming ppl :toast:
  6. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Anonymous donations would work, but thinking about it I not sure that they would even need to be anonymous. Since an entrant is not going to try to win their own donation it seems a little pointless :D

Open public voting is out of the question. We learned that long ago with contests. People have all their friends and neighbors join and vote for them. We make it so that you would have to have been a TPU member for a certain period of time, but I am not so sure that is the best way. We will have to discuss this one a bit more.

One more issue with shipping is that if this is open to all TPU users, there could quite possibly be overseas shipping costs for some of the prizes. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks guys.
  7. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I may be able to judge a contest depending on when it is held and how busy my schedule is then. I can't promise I will though.

With the infinite amount of high quality photos on the internet I can only think of one way to prevent people from cheating.

Have them take a picture of their camera with a sign including the model number of the camera and their TPU name. Photoshop (or another program) will provide information about the camera the picture was taken with and whoever is judging can make sure it matches. In addition, write one or two sentences about the picture giving as many details as you can. That should be enough to discourage most cheaters.

If you no longer have the camera you took the picture with then you're out of luck. Go take a different picture for submitting to the contest, if you like photography it should be a fun thing to do anyway.
    Triprift and Kreij say thanks.
  8. lamil

lamil New Member

Thanks Received:
    or or or or. set a topic for the pictures. like, gummy bears.

you can take whatever picture you want, but it has to have a gummy bear somewhere in the picture. that would be awesome imo. :p
  9. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    The problem with forcing people to have something in the photo means that they could not use a photo they took previously without the item.

As far as topics go, if we get people to donate a variety of things, we could have prizes for best of category (outdoor, still life, etc.). People could still only submit one photo and they would have to choose the category in which they wanted to be entered.
  10. lamil

lamil New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's the point. The Contest could say you have to take a new picture to get people to go out and take photo's. Video contests I have done will give you the topic and give you requirements like this. I know the one I did had to have grapes, water, lawn gnome, and some other random stuff, and be under like 3 minutes long.

It makes you go and make it for the contest and stuff, which presents a nice little challenge and forces people to go out and be creative :D
  11. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Could just tell them to have a piece of paper with the TPU logo somewhere in the picture... possibly adding to the photo itself? :p
  12. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I thought about having the rule that something with your TPU name had to be in the picture.
    The problem was that if someone wanted to a outdoor panoramic shot from a distance, it may be difficult to get something like that in the picture.

(shurg) What do other people think?
  13. lamil

lamil New Member

Thanks Received:
    example.

-trees
    -wall
    -something pink
    -water

[​IMG]
    trees, walls on the house, pink sky, water tank?

[​IMG]
    watercolor pictures of trees on a wall with one having pink in it.

edit, or you can have a contest where the person has to take a shot with them in the picture? aka use a tripod with a timer or something.

but, imo, something with something out of the ordinary in part of the picture would be awesome.
  14. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    only problem is that not everyone has a tripod... nor likes to be in pictures... I say have the moderators be the judges... that way the bias would (should) be limited
  15. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    The person taking the picture will not be required to be in the shot. As Gill said, not everyone has tripods or are good with timers, and to have someone else take the picture would defeat the purpose of the contest. There are also people who would not want to post a picture of themself on a forum, and I can respect that.
  16. lamil

lamil New Member

Thanks Received:
    if someone can't use a timer, I doubt they can tell you anything about the shot other then 'idk point and shoot?' so that option gets thrown out the window too.

but my point was make people take a new picture, and require something small in the picture but something that normally wouldn't be there so you know it was just taken. but nvm ideas been shot down so go ahead without meh.
  17. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    metadata.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  18. lamil

lamil New Member

Thanks Received:
    ihu :(

:toast:
  19. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Each picture taken contains all kinds of metadata within it. You can find out a lot about a picture from it's metadata.

Anyway, I did like your idea about taking a new picture once the contest starts and I am not against having to have something in the picture, it just can be limiting as to what pictures can be taken and I am not sure how to get around that issue.

Keep talking lamil, I'm listening ;)
  20. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    A new pic with your username and junk with the metadata intact uploaded to TPU or hosted elsewhere should suffice as long as the resolution remains the same as well as other details.

I have used a S230 for a long time and recently bought a HG20 high def camcorder with really nice optics and the same 3.2MP camera built in.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  21. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    One thing im unsure about should we have one shot per entrant or different catogorys? I want to have it were you wouldnt need an expensive dslr to be the winner. Ofcourse if your good enough than you can create great pics with a compact or bridge camera.
  22. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Well if we have multiple categories and each person can enter into each category we could potentially have TONS of pictures to judge. I thought maybe to keep this simpler we could post the prize(s) for each category and then let people chose the category (one only) that they wanted to try to win.

Just a thought.
  23. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    theres a thought well done kreij a prize for each category would be good and make it easier for judging as we wouldnt have to be looking through so many pictures from each contestant. Keep the suggestion coming ppl.
  24. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    In terms of paying for it, why not require like a $1 entry fee? That will pay for hosting of the pictures, prizes (including S&H), and if there is any money left, a little something to those that are judging.

In terms of validating pictures, I think the best way would be to have a way for users to police it. That is, if a user can prove that someone else authored the photo, the photo is to be rejected. Using a photo that is not yours constitutes plagarism which is an offense recognized by most nationalities.

Volunteer judges--perhaps elected through democratic process.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Entry fee is out of the question. It's a logistical nightmare and is probably illegal in many places.
    I don't want to get TPU in any kind of trouble here.