1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Conroe865PE thread... for AGP users... stock and mod

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by lemonadesoda, Apr 27, 2008.

1. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    im prewarning you now, you get a bigger HDD the more you can expect to lose if you dont backup your stuff.

Stick with a 500 GB
  2. jeromeaaronbonoan New Member

Thanks Received:

Okay, will be buying a new 500 gb HDD.

Thanks again!
  3. bigbigbuddy

bigbigbuddy

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but improper use of an SSD will basically wear down the life of the SSD majorly. Which is why it's recommended to be used for caching, OS, etc.

Well yeah I would recommend a 500GB because you could easily grab another one and just back up the previous one. Being that 500GB are much cheaper nowadays, though everyone's budget is different.
  4. REDHOTIRON2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am currently using 1TB + 160GB hardisks on this setup!
  5. VLB New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an odd question about this board for anyone who still visits this thread. I originally bought this board about a year ago to migrate some old P4 hardware to use a media center. I've since started using it as my full-time board and it's been great. It's rock solid and the speed is fine for most of what I do.

BUT, one quirk I've noticed with it, and I'm curious if anyone else with this board has a similar quirk; for some reason the only way to guarantee Hulu and YouTube HD videos will run smoothly (without skipping frames) is if I shut down and then power back up and then only open the necessary browser window to get to the video. If I had several browser windows open previously, Hulu and YouTube HD videos will skip frames, even if I kill all other browser related processes besides the video. Sometimes a reboot will do, but usually I need to power cycle the computer. I have no idea if this is a problem with my video card (Gigabyte HD4650), my O.S. (Windows 7 x86), my RAM (4GB G-Skill pc3200), or something else. It's strange though because everything else seems to run fine regardless of uptime or how many programs have been opened and closed. Has anyone experienced a similar issue to this?
  6. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I never experienced that issue in the 2(+) years I ran the board. I never used HULU, but didn't really see any issued with Youtube HD videos, although I've heard the same thing. I used a BFG 7800GS video card with it, and ran it with Windows XP, altho it probably would run even better with W7 like you have, as long as drivers could be found. I too had GSkill 3200DRAM. Without knowing the rest of your system's stats, it's hard to say if it's an equipment/driver/ or software issue. It could also just be a minor defect with the board.

I seem to trcall TRWOV discussing the issue 4 or 5 pages back, and he still owns one and visits this thread occasionally. I defer to him as THE reigning Conroe865PE expert!!

EDIT: Posts 190, 191, 192. They think it's related to the bus on the motherboard, I think.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I'm actually curious about that too. I just shrugged it off last time thinking it was the bus but I wonder if the OS or bridge chip have anything to do with it. To the benches!

I'll try:
    - Windows 7 w/ native AGP card (geforce 6200)
    - Windows XP w/ 4670 AGP
    - Windows XP w/ gf6200.

I'll report my findings as soon as I can
    rtwjunkie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Could be infected os. But ive noticed firefox is glitchier as time goes by. Btw ver 11.7 of flash works better than 11.9 or 12
  9. REDHOTIRON2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have tried both win7 and currently using win8 32bit OS. My graphic card is XFX 4650AGP. And I didn't have any problem as such. My config is
    intel pentium D 930 (dual core 3GHz), 2*1GB 3200 in dual channel. I would recommend upgrading your graphic drivers.
    I am using the latest modded drivers from here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=372799&page=123
    It works great with my card and improved my performance a lot.
  10. VLB New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the responses everyone!
    TRWOV and rtwjunkie, those old posts about the the mini-stuttering were also mine, but that was slightly different. I still have that issue, but I don't really notice it much anymore. In this case where my flash video performance seems to get sluggish after browsing for a while, the frame skipping is much more noticeable. But as I mentioned, once I power cycle and load the video then everything is fine once again.
    REDHOTIRON, I will give that video driver a try. Thanks. I have been using the official AMD version up until now.
  11. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    hummm, it's been a while since I've used the Conroe extensively so maybe mine has the same issue, just that I haven't noticed. :confused: Anyway, I won't be able to test for a couple of weeks since it'll be crunching for the WCG challenge
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    It almost sounds as if the video memory is getting filled, or the AGP interface is being flooded. Does it do it with games too, or have you not tried?