1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Crysis Warhead Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by EastCoasthandle, Sep 24, 2008.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Because there is no difference in Enthusiast mode between DX9 vs DX10. Also, currently there is no 64-bit version of WH. At this point you've been taken in by the hype by playing a game that's basically geared for those without DX10 and 64-bit operating system. Again, I have read they are suppose to be working on a 64bit version but no ETA on a release date.
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no... in vista.
  3. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    im having a problem with warhead.

in the menus my mouse can only use a portion of the screen and the pointer is far from being where the real pointer should be. i have to guess where the pointer needs to be to get it to work. how do i fix this? i cant change the resolution because i cant hit apply.
    ntdouglas says thanks.
  4. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    By any chance does anyone have a couple good screenshots of Crysis Warhead maxed in DX10?
  5. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    You can look here and bring up many photos they have available that will allow you to make comparison between DX9 vs DX10. In which between the 2 I've found no discernible difference warranting the use of DX10 for this game.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  6. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol Thanks fit. I have the same problem but didn't want to post because I thought I would look like a dumbass. lol Yeah, I have to drop the pointer about a half inch under the icon to click it. Until I check full screen. Then its right on perfect. Crysis and Warhead don't always save in full screen. So I'm always starting in little screen then I have to enable full screen. Then icons and mouse are normal. Weird
  7. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    yep.. it works in window mode for me but when its in fullscreen it acts like its still in window mode.
  8. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Played 45 minutes then froze again. I am making progress though. Nice game. Just wish it was right.
  9. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    I beat the game last night, I quit to the main menu then quit the game. Windows gave me a red screen of death. Which is almost unheard of on non beta software. Vista Business x64.
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    Luke had this on his laptop (2600XT) - i dont beleieve he found a fix.

most of you guys with issues seem to have ATI cards, you should look around for drivers.
  11. awdrifter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Couldn't make the 4xMSAA stick, it always reverts back to 4xAA. Anyone found a solution?
  12. Luke

Thanks Received:
    It was on my main rig can't remember what I did to fix I think I just switched between window mode and back to full screen mode and it went away and also try swapping res and restarting game a few times after changing things might work
    can't remember early morning at a LAN when I had to fix

also i had to set my res in the config file game would not auto detect res on my desktop
    Mussels says thanks.
  13. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm positevely surprised to see my G92GTS almost matches the performance of a HD4870 in Warhead.

[​IMG]
  14. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Do to the nature of how the game is designed 4xMSAA will read as 4xAA. Once you set it to 4xMSAA that's what's being used. I've tested it a few times and consistently found roughly 0.6 FPS to 1.0 FPS difference so it's working.
  15. pabloc74

pabloc74 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that card (g92gts) it's awesome!
  16. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    On Vista 32bit SP1 I have had one crash in about 12hours of play in single player. I played through multiple times of course.

I was strafing and then flew across the stage through walls. My GTX 280 might have been hot because of a heavy OC and I don't have a waterblock for it yet. :(

Its definately made for Nvidia BTW.
  17. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    One thing that I noticed when I delete the cache with a defragmented drive is that Crysis seems to load very fast. However, I also disabled all the videos by renaming:

• CryTek.sfd
    • Trailer_Crytek.sfd
    • Trailer_CrytekC.sfd
    • Trailer_EA.sfd
    • Trailer_Intel.sfd
    • Trailer_Nvidia.sfd
    • Trailer_PEGI.sfd
    • Trailer_Rating_Full.sfd
    found in \Crysis WARHEAD\Game\Localized\Video

That's my thought on it as well. But adding the profile for the 4870 seems to improve performance and AA for me even though it's not a big performance jump.
  18. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    They are not able to solve the save/check point crashing. I wonder if this is SecuRom related?

In any case here is the post:

source

Those with vista can try this to see if the game stops crashing:
    Virtual address space usage in Windows Vista game development
    This update is already included in SP1
  19. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    any1 else find the warhead is less good quality than crysis?

i run warhead on gamer and crysis on high both at 1920x1200.

warhead i have like 19-21 fps in most areas. goes up in buildings, down a bit in certain spots.

on crysis, which i just started playing again. i get 24-26 fps in most spots. 19 in really distant views.
  20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i'm backwards hybrid, i get higher FPS and better image quality in warhead.
  21. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I got a BSoD when I quit the game (error in non-paged pool or something). Didn't really get any other bugs though. The physics are a bit messed up though, try throwing a frog up into the sky for example... It just keeps going and doesn't land. Also when you burn out a car after an explosion, the chassis kinda bounces around on the ground, just like on Crysis.

Did get smoother framerate in Warhead using highest settings (DX9 mode of course) than Crysis (using V. high) so they've at least tweaked it a bit, but unfortunately in sacrifice for image quality. IMO the game looks a bit worse than the original, but still beautiful. Also a little bit short, fun game though still :toast:
  22. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not something that I tested empirically, but I would say that Warhead is most of the times in the 1.2-1.5 million polygon area, while Crysis was 1-1.3. Overall Warhead has it's features better implemented and the optimisation is undoubtely better. But I guess that depending on the settings and the hardware, the added complexity weights more than the better optimisation and sometimes works in the other way.
  23. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was just playing some more. i was looking at the mountain, and i think warhead has better textures on gamer. so that could be it.
  24. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Although WH is a short game to play the level of optimizations and IQ will depend on your PC. Which is better? I would think that depends on personal taste.
  25. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interesting, XP is using 508Megs of ram before I start WH and end up with 1772 megs of ram used in crysis. That's a difference of 1264megs (or 1.264Gigs) of ram. But if you look at the mem usage in Crysis it reads 883Megs. If 883Megs represents what Crysis is suppose to be using that's a difference of 381Megs of leaked memory.