1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The End: A journey through America's doomsday obsession

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by lyndonguitar, Dec 19, 2012.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i rather believe someday we run out of energy, lack of fuel, nuclear war, climate changing
    its more real for me

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Oh, people are dying. Just not faster than normal. :ohwell:

3. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if the preppers can haz reefunds:laugh::laugh:

lyndonguitar says thanks.
  4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I don't think referring to people as retards for believing in this is correct at all.

I DO think it's highly retarded to pick up somebody elses 'religious iconography' and then through improper interpretation surmise a very different conclusion from that which is intended.

Given that most people that actually believe this 2012 bullshit come from non Mayan religions (atheists by default dont believe anything except dust-wind-dude) it's jarringly ignorant to throw aside your own religious belief to somehow put your faith into a completely unknown and ancient system.

Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindu's, Sikhs, Zoroastrians, Pagans all have their own set of beliefs and most also have final days predictions (revelations being the one most of us know). To disregard the systems set up inside your own faith and to piggy back onto a completely different cultural identity, especially when it comes to religious practice and belief, is not only retarded - it's fundamentally dismissive of your own religion and all it teaches.

As for thinking no harm is done - yes it is. Certain people led by the manipulating 'elders' or pseudo scholars that predict end days end up giving away worldly goods, resign from jobs and ultimately prepare for the end. When doomsday passes and they have no job and no money... nice one.

Or worse. http://brainz.org/10-most-notorious-suicide-cults-history/

This was a one click google search but you get what I'm saying.

People need to STFU about end days because somewhere someone's life will be destroyed simply because they were manipulated enough to believe it.

And for FTFR
    For The Fucking Record
    People die everyday across this planet. Every day somebody's world ends http://www.worldometers.info/
    Doomsday happens all the time.

Pfft.

5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    You make a good point. Nobody believes in God or reads the Bible, but they're all for jumping on the Doomsday bandwagon because the Mayan calendar ended on 12/21/2012, or they do have their own set of religious beliefs, Christianity or otherwise, and completely disregard them for all these numerous theories (anyone keep track of the number of different doomsday theories for this day?) about the end of the world because some ancient civilization didn't bother making a calendar past a certain date.

Well, that's at least twice I've survived the apocalypse... this and Y2K. I'm sure I've survived others, but at least these two I know I survived. It wasn't even all that difficult to be honest, I just sat here and played Spiral Knights all day. Hell, the power never even went out.

lyndonguitar says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Perspective is a wonderful thing, since I was born (not wishing to give away my age) there have been around 60 predictions of the apocalypse in one shape or another, there are still several more predictions to live through over the coming years, funny thing is, the older you get, the less you care if they are right or not! So fear not my friends.... one way or another, that dark peace will come to you all :)

Is it any coincidence that as time goes by, some people move from predicting a day to predicting a whole century..... one thing is for sure (IMO), one day, someone will get it right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

7. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I won't take credit for this but it is fitting so.....

[​IMG]

source

8. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    My calendar has been ending on Dec 31st since the day I was born. Guess what happens? We start again on Jan 1st :laugh:

The media loves to keep people in a frenzy, they're easier to control/manipulate. Plus think how big the business of "prepping" is! Some people spends tens of thousands of dollars stocking up on items they'll end up throwing in the garbage in 10yrs :roll:

I, just like everyone else, was born to die. Bring it on :rockout:

PS: Now I heard there is a mystery asteroid on course to strike the earth in the next 30yrs. Of course I heard this today since we all survived the Mayans :laugh:

Just think, if people got behind climate change like they do all these doomsday bullsh1tz we'd be a LOT better off.

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Hell I just turned 28 yesterday- nothing happened. I say that its just the start of the next Major Mayan calandar is all, nothing as bad as Y2K bug with most computers at the time