1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The everything Crysis thread...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Monkey_Business, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When will graphics cards exist which are powerful enough to play Crysis on all "very high" specs, 8x AA, on 1920x1200 and get more than <10 FPS?

Not even Two HD 5970's in xfire, or Two GTX 295's in SLI could handle Crysis on those settings and put out a playable framerate.

We'll probably have to wait until the HD 7xxx series graphics cards.

Currently, there are no games, or even drivers for that matter, for Nvidia or ATI, which utilize more than Four GPU cores.

Playing Crysis on it's highest possible settings takes all Four GPU's past 100% load, and then they eventually crash.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully never so people will realize what a horribly coded POS Crysis is and stop using it for futile benchmarking tests. The game itself isn't even good.

Wyverex, nt300, digibucc and 4 others say thanks.
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Not for a while, I personally think the push for higher resolutions will be made by gpu designers as to give them a reason to put out new hardware.

To prove my point what was the gaming resolution of choice at Crysis' release? 1280x1024? Probably. Now higher resolutions like 1920x1200 are fairly standard, if not 1080 HD.

4. How does Crysis run on "very high" settings on 1024x768 resolution with the fastest GPU(s) money can currently buy?

I've never been crazy about resolution, and it doesn't make games look leaps and bounds better. 1024x768 vs 1920x1200 is not the difference between night and day like most people claim it is. It can mean the difference between an enjoyable gaming experience, and a completely unplayable framerate.

Anti-aliasing is also another performance hog to a GPU.

Off-topic, but how would a single HD 5870 run Crysis on all "very high" specs with no AA and 1024x768 resolution?

5. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It's funny. You ppl are shouting how crap it is, yet i've never seen any other game to look this good at rendering anything virtually as realistic as it does Crysis. But hey, if it doesn't run well for you, it's automatically rubbish. Lets face it, Crytek and Crysis were ahead of it's time and hardware vendors just couldn't deliver the power to render it. It wasn't much dfferent with Far Cry when it was released, yet no one was calling it crap. And it's beautiful even today.
    I was playing it just fine on Very High with 2x FSAA. Not exactly a 200 fps experience but it was perfectly playable. I think that's just great.

TIGR and Phxprovost say thanks.
  7. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    No not all tests were done on "Very High" settings. TPU's video card reviews increase AA/AF with the resolution. So no AA/AF on 1024x768 and then 4xAA/AF on 1280x1024 and then 8xAA/AF on 1680x1050 and so on.

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

You're assuming I'm some sort of anti-Crysis fanboy. I'm not shouting, I'm typing a conversation on how "crap" it is. Yes, it is crap. The game looks great, I agree. My system also runs it just fine. There are other games that I believe to look better and run better. Dirt 2, Far Cry 2 and some others look better to me. Lets face it, Crysis was and still is a horribly made game, full of bugs that no machine can really run very well, up untill now. DRM, Punkbuster.. more crap. Far Cry was actually fun. If the CryEngine was such a masterpiece, they wouldn't of ditched it for a new engine that actually has better graphics and is optimized much better. If Crysis didn't have these extreme graphics, nobody would be talking about it, because overall the game itself isn't very good. Pretty? Yes. Good. Definitely not. I don't "hate" Crysis, and the visuals + physics in the game are great looking. The gameplay itself, storyline, etc. just doesn't suit my taste. Of course, I still use the game for a benchmark now and then anyways.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
    digibucc and trickson say thanks.
  9. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The test of if crysis was really that well coded will be when crysis 2 comes out, since the engine runs on consoles (albeit scaled) there has to be some optimizations in there, which should boost performance. If it doesn't then crytek just fail at optimization. Plus if it looks at stunning as they say, then it should also blow crysis out of the water. (although an eyefinity demonstration - thats right, it's not a twimtbp game - showed some pretty nice visuals which did surpass the original, especially the water.)

10. Crysis Warhead seems to run much smoother on identical settings to Crysis. I get on average, +10 fps as opposed to Crysis.

It also looks better.

11. I can play Far Cry 2 on all maximum spec on 1024x768 DX10 with 0x AA and get 30-50 FPS in most cases with my HD 5750 1GB.

12. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    seems a little low, regarding you should get about 58 with 1280x1024 and maybe AA;)

13. Not unless I had an HD 5870 or 5970.

14. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I was playin crysis 30mins ago on me HD5870, it plays perfectly for me, max settings 16X AF & 2X AA at 1920 1080, a HD5970 will rape this game, I know from 2 months experience :D:D:D

15. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    they use an i7 in this review, so maybe the 5750 a little faster in lower resolutions, but OCC seems to have them tested faster as you state;):
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx5750/5.htm

16. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    lets see proof of your claims..ohh wait you have none :rolleyes: yup crysis and the cryengine are poorly coded. More useless rambling from people who have no idea what they are talking about...but it takes all kinds right? :pimp:

17. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    OH MAN HOW RIGHT YOU ARE !
    The game is lame the coding is full of bugs and problems it needs even more patching to fix it so it will run right on win7 64 bit . What a joke Bioshock is far better any way .

18. I can't play the last level in Crysis "the reckoning" without crashing at least Ten times. The rest of the game is fine, it's just that particular level.

19. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Hell I can install it and run it just fine as long as you do not update it . when it updates the game is done for and the only way to test the so called benchmark is to have all updates installed WHAT ? They should work on the story line and coding more than the benchmark . I hate the game now myself as it has taken time from me researching and looking for fixes and patches and this and that wasting my time on BS CRAP ! It will never see my computer HDD again ! :mad:

20. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Only thing I disagree with is I will never even use the useless benchmark on my BEAST ! Not even worth the time . I agree with every thing els you have said 100% ! :respect:

21. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    You must work for crytek! I hope erocker bans your arse!

22. Crysis Warhead seems to be a fair bit better coded than Crysis. Thus, giving a few more FPS, as well as less crashes.

23. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    why mate ? I played crysis & warhead in 1680 x 1050 with my old 9800gt w/o any probs...but i didn't use AF & AA :eek: ...all other settings in enthusiast .. i really like the game's music ...

24. If you want to play Crysis maxed out, and still be playable, you're going to need more than a single GPU.

The highest benchmark for Crysis set as high as it can go, is 3-way GTX 285 SLI. Water-cooled and superclocked. Crysis is programmed to be better optimized for Nvidia graphics cards. If you can play Crysis on all "very high" specs, with 8x AA, and resolutions beyond 1920x1080, you need 3 GTX 285's and a Core i7 @ 4.5 GHz.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010