1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The far cry 2 thread!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mussels, Oct 22, 2008.

1. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    seems steam doesnt want you to type in the code no matter how correct it is, be sure to use the copy to clipboard option to get the code to work, then paster it to the bar when asked!

2. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    I ordered my copy from steam, hoping to get home and try it out within an hour!

3. rampage

Thanks Received:
    the game is ment to be released here today in australia (23/10/08) and currently ist 05:52 and im about to knock off work, so come 9 am ill be waiting at the store to grab this :) then sleeeeep then time to play...

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried it. I died. Now I have to go back to work for my beating.:(

5. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Ahhhhhh noooo there's a built in filtering engine dammit!

Sprites pop up even more than Crysis, and you can clearly see the filtering line as it ushers in higher quality textures.

Dammit when are they going to stop doing this in games.

6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    if you disable the "enhance pointer precision" in windows, does it still happen?

7. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I don't have the enhanced ticked, so to answer your question yes, it still does it.

Here's a picture of the filtering, check out the shadow on the building and how it's split in half by the resolution. It reminds me of the GSM_lod variable in Crysis:
    Naturally AF doesn't affect it, and I'm curious why the performance reviews even mention AF, as if suggesting the forced it. So far I can't see it doing anything to the IQ.

Attached Files:

phanbuey says thanks.
  8. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    damn... im not looking forward to that. I could disable it in CS by unchecking the enhanced.

9. CY:G

CY:G New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so i have been playing with the Map Editor for some time now and it kicks ass(PC version), i havent even played the main game yet!!!

The amount of stuff you can do and how easy it is, this must have been a nightmare to program!!!!

I started with the obvious, i made a 10 story high tower of explosive barrels, and surrounded the area with oil/gas tanks, then i made a Watch tower with a gun mounted on top of it, and then i watched the insane fireworks, the explosion took like 5 seconds to stop at which point all the vegetation nearby was on flames, kick ass.

Also im AMAZED at the performance of this game, while watching that over the top explosion the lowest frame rate i got was 27 fps, and that was only in the worst part of that ridiculous explosion, this was at 1920 * 1200 with everything in Very High.

I would have paid $60 just for the map editor...

10. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Buey, you can reduce the acceleration's lag by using the in game mouse smoothing feature. Generally speaking, acceleration is bad, smoothing is bad and also magnifies the acceleration but in this case it seems to help!

DX10 does seem to run better.

Though I have noticed that slight slight stutter but not for two seconds as previously mentioned.

I'm just desperate to get rid of the streaming sprites and that lod grain filter or whatever the heck it is!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    phanbuey says thanks.
  11. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I just got home and installed FC2 :rockout:

Here is my first benchmark run. sorry its 2 pages. :eek:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Can you guys enable both HDR and aa ? I can't I have to use bloom and aa. What do yall have it at?

13. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    In DX9 it allows the menu to show the use of HDR and Bloom, where as in DX10 it's Bloom only.

1. I don't see how or why HDR AND Bloom would be a good idea
    2. In DX10 I would think HDR takes prescedence over Bloom....

Part of me has been trying to down step some of the visual settings and run comparisons, just so I can say 'hey guys, try this.., try that' etc. but the other half just wants to play and once you get into it, it is quite fun.

I think the game's best IQ so far is the lighting, but then again, it starts out with a good contrast to brightness ratio, which always makes textures look more stunning, and lighting more vivid.

It's definatley not as dense and 'full' like Crysis or especially Warhead is. Though I do think it's more polished than say Clear Sky, because at the same time it's more simplistic too.

My only dislike with this approach is that some of the textures, especially the roads are very bland and there seems to be very little parallexing going on.

But, when the action is flying, you really don't care. I have a feeling with this game, while you have the ability to 'free roam,' you'll find it's basically Far Cry meets Grand Theft Auto meets Oblivion. So in the former you want to blow shit up, in the medium, you want to do wild stupid stuff and in the latter, you want to explore/quest. For the latter, little things (well big to me...) like the filtering issue ruin that immersion. I don't like the feeling of having to purposely look for action, becuse my exploring is dumbed down by bad IQ.

And the WORST part of all this, is that I still haven't gotten more than three hours into either Clear Sky or Warhead...and I'm still juggling AoC too..aahhhhhhhhhhh AND DEAD SPACE COMES OUT SOON...AND COD 5 and ....developers hate us.

14. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Just started playing about an hour ago, so far I love the premise, its GTA meets FPS meets Africa. My HD 4870 X2 obliterates this game. And honestly...it looks better than Crysis.

15. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you play it max with playable frames?

16. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Do you really find it obliterating? I'm constantly between 40s and 50s with full on combat hitting the high 30s, but it does feel...a bit hitchy.

That's with the hot fix too. I imagine it might be slightly CPU based. For how little LOD objects are actually being casted, you'd think the FPS would be higher but it might be the texture streaming that's causing the slight stuttering.

I've found an AK 47, too bad it was old and rusty and jammed on me, but I like that, makes things interesting.

I had one guard post I came up on with about four of them, two in a truck. I shot one but didn't kill him. Another rolled out to check on him, and I put him down and the spray killed the initial. Two others ran out into the brush and I lit it on fire and ran. The whole place went up and it started spreading towards me, I was like OOOH SHIT. I ran back behind them, picked up the dead dude's shotgun and put slugs in their backs. It was pretty slick.

J-man, he's on 1680 res, and I'm on 1920 and I can go Ultra/Max (where applicable, some settings only goto Very High) with 4x AA and it's definatley playable, but you can save yourself some frames by using lesser AA, which is totally acceptable IQ wise. So basically right out of the box, it's good to go and I imagine in the coming week people will have performance suggestions.

17. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I find that having "shadow" at V high instead of Ultra high, and 2xAA instead of 4xAA yields the best performance and image quality for my specs. With 4xAA on the FPS tumbles into the 20's, I think it's because my card "only" has 512MB of VRAM.

Awesome fun game though, so much to do and see. Found a hang-glider which was fun for about 10 seconds till I got shot down lol. I like the way you can upgrade your weapons and stuff too. I reckon there's weeks of gameplay there.

Apparently when you complete the game 1st time round the 2nd time you play it will be a completely different story, and you start in a different place etc.

I reckon this will easily get Game of the Year! :rockout:

18. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I can with a single 4870. Those of you having problems with the "hitching", you must go erase your game settings config file. Everything was working great untill I decided to OC my video card then I got the hitching. Erased the file, started the game, set my settings and all was well again.

19. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Installing now :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

20. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean by "hitching"? :eek:

21. erocker

Thanks Received:
    The lagging problem you were getting. I didn't get it at first untill I oc'd my card. The file to erase is in (vista) Documents, my games, far cry 2. It will revert your settings back to default, just change them. It seems that any change in hardware (drivers, ocing) will make the game run bad.

LiNKiN and oli_ramsay say thanks.
  22. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    I'm hoping to pick this up after work. I really want to set stuff on fire. Can you set enemies on fire?

23. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I think you can but you dont start with a flame thrower. This game is sick.

24. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    far cry 2 benchmark tool inaccurate

ok so after playing for about an hour with my "legit" :p copy of far cry 2, ive come to the conclusion the benchmark tool is not accurate for a few reasons:

you need to run it imo for at leats 5-6 loops because the first loop lags a lot and the fps is low,

the 2nd loop the fps DO get better but there not great and there is still lag, also artifacts start to appear on the 2nd loop im getting weird black boxes appearing on my screen with loop 2

loop 3 the fps rise yet again and it seems a lot smoother, although the lag seems to have gone the artifacts are not black boxes but textures within the game and the mountains display a physcadelic red and blue colour to them

the 4th loop and the fps are constant and smooth, almost all artifacts are gone and fps are dramatically increased from the first loop giving it smooth and constant framerate.

and for those of you thinking this is my cards maybe i have the oc too high or somthing, wrong ive run the benchmark 5-6 times at least and my cards have been stock, also played the game and experienced none of the above issues and constant fps. aswell as cod 4 for hours, crysis etc etc and its always in the same loops im getting the artifacts or low fps

it seems as if the benchmark almost needs to get warmed up to give you an accurate idea of how the game will play which it starts to do after the 3rd loop.

also noticed, applying 8x AA in benchmark results in terrible fps, however applying 8xaa in ccc results in little-none fps during the benchmark.

and for those of you wondering, i have the benchmark set to ULTRA :eek: and everything else set to max and was acheiving an average FPS of 55.54 minimum of 38.46 and high of 83.27 on ULTRA badboy settings, looks like these 2 4850's scale well

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  25. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Erm, the AA doesn't apply through the driver, hence you're not using AA, thus your performance results.

I'm curious how you do with a single card.

On the FIRST run, using your 8xaa suggestion, I get 53 avg, 37 min, 81 max and that's at 1920.
    I don't see a point in doing it four or five times; sounds like an issue on your end.

Also using driver forced AF is pointless, as well as driver forced Vsync. Neither work.

So far the best performance gains for no to minimal IQ loss is 2x AA and Very High shadows as already mentioned by others.
    And, Vsync doesn't seem to make a difference when applied through the game, in terms of performance, so, no reason not to have it on.

I noticed that turning Shader levels down actually hurts performance; possibly because the card is working less.

Anyone check their GPU temps? After an hour of playing I went up six degrees from idle...it definatley runs cooler than Warhead, Clear Sky and Grid. It seems logical in some ways, but given that it's still as equally taxing on the GPU, it's a bit odd.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008