1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The far cry 2 thread!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mussels, Oct 22, 2008.

1. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    i understand this more now that i have played the game more. its a good game, but long and not very varied so far. i haven't played the past two or three days and haven't missed it. and Clear Sky, which i have just started, seems more intriguing. although i'm very confused as to what to do in that one. and i don't like being "guided" to different locations. just let me go there

right now i can't seem to get guided to where i need to be :(

FC2 on the other hand is all about action, and gameplay is good. but i pretty much know what to expect thus far every time i play. being just 10% in maybe i more will be revealed? i felt it got kind of repetitive while doing missions to unlock weapons. three straight missions were "stop the convey carrying a shipment of arms." great, but each mission was much like the next

however then it throws a great mission my way (fetching some files for some chick at a train yard) and man that was 100% action. and great. i looked upon the train yard from above, fired a crap load of flares down into it (the flare gun is awesome to start fires with) and when the whole thing was blazing i just ran down and started kicking ass and taking names! it was great :rockout:

so yeah i'm still with it. but a little more variety would be nice coming up

2. Jeno Guest

^ yes some of the missions are repetitive in an assassins creed stile :|
    and yeah the flare gun pwns if you fire a flare into a guy he catches fire lol!

3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well after a couple weeks of experiencing this game, I have some thoughts I'd like to express of it.

First off, I'd like to say I like the concept, the gameplay is fun, I like the amount of freedom provided, the graphics are pretty damn good, and crisp. Plus performance on every rig I've tried (all NV based) has been great at their performance levels. There was a ton of hype built up around this game, I usually nay-say a game with as much hype as this game had because usually they fall short, this one did, but it still brought some cool things to the table that can be improved upon in future games (ubi or not). For a game that only uses just over 3GB of my HDD (not including saved games or tiny 3.5mb or less MP maps), this game does a lot...bang-per-MB this game pulls off a lot. If more games were rated this way, this one would rank up very high...unfortunately they aren't for a reason.

Things I've gotten sick of are the norm that you've read in this thread, in SP the random jeeps and the refilled too quickly outposts do become an annoyance, I still like to destroy and kill in different ways, and I do make the best of it. I do find the SP part of the game very entertaining, the story is ok, but if ever allowed to mod the SP part of the game I can see some cooling things happening for sure.

The MP part of the game is a hoot, especially when you have a clan or a bunch of friends, you have a very nicely designed map creator that is actually pretty capable, and I find it easy to use, learn and fun to create new maps. Unfortunately, you cannot use custom maps in the Ranked part of the MP game, you're limited to the maps provided with the game from UBI. Hosting a game is easy, my 5.0DSL had no issues with 16 player matches. But there are the random disconnects, occasional bug such as grenade launchers at point blank range not causing a kill, but you get a suicide for it...sometimes not being able to change or upgrade kits, my buddy even went invisible to where he was not on the roster, but he was on our team, we could not see him but the other side could. Little things like this can add up over time, and make a very fun game a very tedious experience that you want to like. I still enjoy this game, and I do want to continue liking this game, but it needs patched...NOW! I just got done hosting some games, seems the whole FC2 online kept getting restarted, me and about 12 of my clan-mates all kept getting disconnected at the same time...we're dotted across the US and Canada all using different ISP's, etc. Maybe it's a North America thing, but I don't think UBI was properly prepared. Now initially I had no issues with MP for the first few days at least...but the last few days have become a headach and an annoyance.

That's about it for my rant atm, I love this game, and will continue to play it, I'm also working on World In Conflict, C&C 3 Kanes Wrath, and Fallout 3. But since my clan is primarily FC2 atm, we will continue to endure and hope something comes of actual support...c'mon Ubi show us you can do it...I didn't pay 50 bucks for a game that feels as-if it went from Alpha to Gold...so fix it. This game was still worth it to me, fortunately, I know many of you have grown to dislike the game, I can't blame ya, but I'm very stubborn, and I do very much enjoy it, but this BS is getting tiresome.

:toast:

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone with similar system spec as mine have FC2? I would love to get this game but I'm all about eye candy too. If I cant run it damn near maxed out I wont bother. I currently run Fallout 3 almost maxed out if thats any indication. The specs are under my name.

5. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just got done doing the "Kill The Police Chief" mission. i also stole the ledger as a side mission. it was cool :pimp:

they key to really enjoying this game is to give yourself a little break from it. its perfect if you don't have a lot of time to play or play it every few days. it'll surprise you and is a lot of fun

fire is good :D

6. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Ok, now I am starting to hate this game. I have managed to get myself into the top 200 players and this Vote system is totally ruining the game.

I was winning 2 games last night (FFA), and both times when I had 22 kills, I was voted/kicked out of the room. Bunch of wussies online. Seriously, rather the be competitve they vote to kick you out. I am 100% sure it was the guy in second place that started the vote...Good tactic, but very lame. They need to remove the voting system. PLus all the other people have to stop, in the middle of FFA, and vote. How stupid.

Oh yeah it was automatch and several people in the room where higher ranked then me.

7. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    are ther no tweaks out for this game yet?? i goolged it but found nothing except for the patch

8. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Can any one tell me how to get this dumb message off my screen it wont go away tried saving dieing u name it the message is (you have safely escaped the cease fire zone):banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

9. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    I am sure this has been covered I just don't see it, but how do I get my full screen back in multiplayer?

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Alt+Enter

Bow says thanks.
  11. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    yep I'm a dumbass:roll:

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:

Whilst I don't have a similar spec, I know people with 8800GT seem to do fine, although they had Intel chips.

Your main issue may come with running it under DX10, but you lose very little visually by using DX9.

When you're out and about in the sparse flora outlands, frames should be consistently high and smooth; more dense jungle style area they may come down a tad; and when in building / populated areas where more AA is in effect, you'll hit your lowest, though it shouldn't ever drop so much that your combat fluidness is disrupted.

Ultimatley, it's not going to be as smooth as Fallout 3, but then again, Fallout 3 is far from demanding.

Check out the Far Cry 2 performance guide thread to get some ideas.

13. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Lost my status

My son played my game on a new game and now when i go to the game which I was half way thru it starts at the first level. How do I get my level back or did I lose everything ?

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    load your save game, instead of hitting continue.

15. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    I did and it is what he played

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if you're loading a quicksave or autosave, it means he saved over the top of it. you should have made proper saves, before letting him start. load one of those.

17. jimmyme New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone noticed, but i think that the 'quicksave' saves a new file each time? or it this just me missing something?

18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    nope. another reason to hate the game. it seriously does make a new save every time.
    after completing the game once, i have 1.73GB of save files thanks to quicksaves.

19. jimmyme New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol smells of consoles to me....also why those save boxes are...well...useless....
    lol its quite the laughing-stock on some levels!

20. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:

I got it back. I'm only at 25% , but man I didn't want to start at the beginning.
    This game is pretty repetetive, I still am enjoying it.

21. Borba72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't read all 23 pages on this topic, but
    What is the problem with the RPG?
    Yesterday I fired my RPG upon an incoming enemy jeep, it just bounced off and exploded some meters away from the target, is it a bug or they do function that way in real life?

22. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    If you hit the jeep at an angle, it sometimes bounces off (yes in RL as well) and it sometimes hit. It should always hit if you are perpendicular.

Borba72 says thanks.
  23. Borba72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know that it must travel some distance for the explosive to arm itself but I WAS some distance away...thanks!

24. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol Are you trying to get to the priest in pala? I get the same message. And call me a dumbass but how do you get to the priest in pala? I've been stuck on this for a week. Is the church in pala with all the goons or what? Because theres alot of goons in there. lol

25. Borba72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You search around the building marked as the objective for an entrance...eventually you'll find it. It's hard to find because it's dark. Walk around the building and keep looking, you'll see a door.

ntdouglas says thanks.