1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The far cry 2 thread!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mussels, Oct 22, 2008.

1. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    I agree, game is awesome looking! I'm running it in 1680x1050, majority of the settings set to very high and in DX10. Averaging 38fps according to the benchmark tool. Not bad for my rig!

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I posted about that a couple posts before your initial inquiry about that...I had the same issue...the 180.42's or .4x's whatever gave me a screen full of nothinginess...the 178.42's worked flawlessly...averaging 70s-80s in MP games, both official and player made maps. I also love how the player made maps download sooooo much faster than CoD4's...I can only assume this is due to how things are referenced for the map design, but going from 30-60mb in a 2-10+mins depending on the servers in CoD4 to 30seconds average in FC2 is amazing...now CoD4 and FC2 CANNOT be compared...I catch myself doing it too..but in reality even though in the same genre they're extremely different in so many ways.

All I have to say is I've had a blast with the game in the less than 30 minutes of SP and the greater than 3 hours of MP I've played...all of it's been more than worth it for the purchase price, NOT including the map creator/editor...

Also, the most asked question in MP, is "how do I revive someone?"...try the damn action key, which by default=E...you gotta be close enough and they gotta have the "+" over their dead/dying body to be revivable...if it's a skull, move on.

The game looks great, amazing lighting and shadows makes this game's visuals amazing. It doesn't have "crysis" textures, but it has better lighting, shadows, gameplay and addictibillity for me...maybe not others, I don't really care...because, in the end, I got the game for me, and no-one else. I have thouroughly enjoyed it thus far and am happy I found something to fill the void that CoD4 was no longer filling for enjoyment.

:toast:

3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Alright Benchies are here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you have it folks...nothing special, but I don't seem to drop as low as some others that have posted earlier. Suprising to compare to some results...the average is what's most interesting in some comparisons. Now as you can see this is with the 178.24 drivers, they work very well...the Sp and Mp results are of course much higher than this for FPS. The bench went WITHOUT ANY distortions, artifacts, black boxes, errors or anything of the sort, so if you are recieving such, something's up with the setup you're running. I've ran this on 3 PC's now...granted all were NV graphics, none had issues stated by previous AMD/ATI runner(s) for glitches, hitches, artifacts, errors or performance.

But ymmv...it's not the best, it's not the worst...I could care less, because the game plays effing amazing! If your system plays it well, and you can enjoy it, who really cares? Enjoy the damn game!

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm i just bought a camo suit "stealth upgrade" but cant find the actual equipment in the armoury... i wonder if its just auto equipped?

anyone else this far into the game?

5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'm "getting" it as we speak.. It's mostly an experiment too see if my rig can handle it. I don't really like FPS's anyway. :(

It will be interesting. It seems to be less demanding than Crysis (wich I haven't tried with this rig), so well... We'll see.

6. Sc1mitar New Member

Thanks Received:
    79% downloaded...i orderd a pizza and ive got my 12 of miller here, shud make for an interesting night!!

d00d, hows the multiplayer?? Is it epic win? or ub3r phail?? cause Cod4 is beginning to wear VERY thin atm....

80 % :D

7. X800

X800

Thanks Received:
  8. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Try setting shadow to very high instead of ultra, and using 2xAA instead of 4xAA. It solved my stutter issues. :)

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    poor ATI users... you cant play the game The Way Its Meant To Be Played... :p

10. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Guru only used 2 gig of ram, but I get the feeling that the 4850 1 gig with 4 gigs of ram will be faster or the same as the 4870 512 at 1920x1200.
    Look at the effect 1 gig has with the 4870.

11. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look again champ, the new 1 gig cards rule:slap:

12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    it was a joke. ATI users seem to be having driver problems atm, while the only Nvidia problems are on beta drivers.

13. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know, I know, but I just thought I'd stir you up since I have the 1 gig model:D:toast:
    I've bought 4 games and dled 3-4 demo's, and I've yet to encounter any probs like crashing or horrid framerates:ohwell:

14. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Well, the great lighting and shadows are only half appealing when they have the LOD filter issue going on.

15. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Firing squad test.

16. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    just popped into my local game shop and persuaded them to sell me a copy... cant wait till i get home to try it out.

Should i install and go... or should I do the hotfix drivers first?
    Im on a HD4870 in 1920pxX1200px

by the looks of it some people are having stuttering problems with these cards

17. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Try the hotfix and delete "GamerProfile.xml" from C:\Users\Oli\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2 every time before you play, should sort out stuttering.

twicksisted says thanks.
  18. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    God this game is sexy. I only got to play for 2 hours yesterday but I am hitting it hard again tonight, gonna post some screens. 4870 X2 Frame rates are amazing too. I love the gameplay, its like GTA meets Africa.

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    GTA meets africa
    Flamethrower meets africans.

seriously... who else just burns everything down, for hte hell of it?

20. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I played last night for about 30 minutes. I think I liked multiplayer better. The single player mode seems a little dull at this point. This isn't what I expected.

21. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    TBH, didn't bother me that much at all...it's noticable, but could've been worse. I was too busy enjoying the game. Doesn't have to be perfect, and no game ever will be! But I bet it'll be patched sooner than later! :D

22. Sc1mitar New Member

Thanks Received:
    as long as u play in the daytime, the game is absolutly beautiful and totally destroys crysis, in both playability, graphics quality, etc.

nite time, not so much.. things look really drab, kinda like stalker SoC....

played all nite...amazing game...9/10 but a patch could easily fix the bad things.

23. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone go to the savana and just run over animals :D its hella fun :laugh:

I also love how well it runs I got everything Very High, DX10 2x AA and I get 35-80fps average, even when a ton of stuff is on fire and and people are shooting. I love how optomized it is :D

24. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    I know. I feel so sad everytime I see the logo. :shadedshu

25. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    It gets much better, keep playing! :rockout: