1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Forest

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1nf3rn0x, May 9, 2013.

1. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    May not just be ghosts. I at least hope the game brings your invincible feelings way down when you get torn to pieces by something, and doesnt baby you with autoheal behind a rock, or press this button to perform a scripted healing animation (like farcry 3)
    Guitarrassdeamor says thanks.
  2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Did you guys read the website? I thought it was genetic humanoid mutants that live in caves not ghosts.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    still not scary. if i survived a plane crash i wouldn't be afraid of some genetic humanoid mutants. i would hunt them down for sport and relish the chance to kill like a boss :pimp:
    hellrazor says thanks.
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I see your point slightly, but surviving a plane crash is going to be pure luck, not skill. Surviving one doesn't mean you are a badass immune to plane crashes, it means you are damn lucky. either way, game looks interesting to me, not necessarily for the story, but for the environment/lighting and building/defense mechanics. Really curious to see if it's as lush of a location as shown, with actual living and dying plant life, if so I will be extremely impressed.
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I don't get the survive a plane crash = invincible argument either. If anything it would give most a feeling of things going very bad, and when things go very bad, you have to wonder how much worse they could get, esp if by yourself with no weapons.

This looks interesting, and Oculus Rift could very well add much more to the immersion. My only contention with Rift is it will very likely present a need for another control device, unless they can somehow manage to allow view of your peripheral when looking down or toggling a specific key. Those on gamepads might not ever need to look at their controls, but there are plenty games where you do need to glance at a KB now and then.

I have an idea for a 12" or so lap pad that would be something in between a gamepad and KB/M. It would have all it's buttons within easy intuitive feel of your fingers and thumbs, with a couple 2" or so rubber domes acting as nav and aim controls under your palms.

I've also seen a prototype of a sphere shaped controller about 6" in diameter or so where all buttons would rest where your fingers and thumbs are. Lots of possibilities, but clearly analog stick gamepads are becoming antiquated.
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Ok.... You sound like your going to struggle with this game. "I JUST SURVIVED A PLANE CRASH! I AM INVINCIBLE!!! NOW TO GO HUNT A BEAR WITH ONLY A HAND CARVED WOODEN KNIFE, BECAUSE ONLY NOOBS USE WOODED SPEARS!" :roll::roll:

I do agree that the horror part is a bit of a reach. They showed the mutants in the video and it looked like a lot of them. I imagine this game to be somewhere between the movie I am Legend and the tv series Lost.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    :roll: :toast:

the first thing i thought of when i saw the trailer was Lost. now that could make a pretty fun video game...
  8. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Except the ending.
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
  9. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  10. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
  11. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You should ask W1zzard to change your name to Hard Rhino you bad ass! :roll: They should change the whole dynamic of the game, and have you scare the stuff in the forest. Mutants would be like Oh noes! It's Hard Rhino! :trollface: (I wish this was a smiley):eek: :roll: I think the game is going to kickass if it's 15 bucks and under... hehehe
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    now that is a great idea for a game. premise: you survive a plane crash and realize through a series of events that you actually have superpowers. you go around this mutant infested forest kicking ass with your super powers only to realize you are actually a mutant! :rockout:

gamedevs feel free to PM me for more amazing ideas :roll: :pimp:
  13. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    lol yea they could make it freetoplay or paytowin and you would have to buy your super powers and put a time limit on how long you keep the powers.. hehehe That's more scary to me than mutants in a forest.. hehehe At every turn a window would pop up and say, "Just for today you can buy 5000 coins for 5 bucks! Don't miss out on this deal!".

EDIT: Back to this game.. hehehe I think it has promise. I'll buy it when i get my rift! :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Anyone still playing? I like it a lot however the natives are introduced far too early and are too aggressive for my liking.
    I appreciate it's a horror game, and they do like primitive and tribal.
    I had one sitting outside my tent the first day. A momentary scare, but now all suspense about whether other beings lived on the island is gone.

Here's hoping they adjust this, as I don't want to be playing Vegan (no enemies) mode forever.